The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been diagnosed type 2 for about 8 years now. Currently I am back on the insulin wagon after getting so frustrated that I all but stopped taking my humolog and lantus. The expense was too much, the weight gain from the meds too much, the frustration of not getting lower bsl was overwhelming so I told myself I was done with having diabetes. When I stopped being diabetic (um, yeah, that didn't work) I was taking 90 units of lantus at night and 110 units of it in the morning. I was taking at least 45 units of humolog at each meal according to my numbers. I was seeing a personal nutritionalist, an endocrinologist, massage therapy for stress and my numbers which I was testing 4 or 5 times a day usually averaged in the mid 200's to the high 300's. Nothing we did was working. In these past 8 years my a1c were 8, 11, 9, 7, 10. Just all over the board. The higher my bsl the better I feel. When it goes to 450, I feel great. After about two weeks of not taking anything my numbers stayed between 350 - 480. I finally came to my senses and started out taking 30 units of lantus morning and night and 30 units of humolog before meals. My numbers are now averaging 250. I understand the importance of following your doctors orders but all they do every 3 months was increase my dosage.
I'm 55 years old and 50 lbs overweight. My grandparents, parents and several siblings are also diabetic. I get extensive eye exams and have no diabetic damage whatsoever.
I joined this forum because I need encouragement and education and insight to others personal experience.

Sent from my iPad using Diabetes

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was eagerly looking forward to some input after my post last night. Did it post? Did I do something wrong?

Sent from my iPad using Diabetes

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I think it's just the time difference, Linda . . . for a global forum like this, we get mixed up on who's awake at what time. The gang will be coming around, I'm sure.

I'm glad you found us - there is a wealth of wisdom, experience & loving support here, so make yourself comfortable & visit us often! :wave:

·
Registered
718 Posts
Hi!

I'm not well versed on insulin so I can't really add anything there.

I think it all just takes time for you body to adjust to what is considered "normal" blood sugar. I know I was in the 200-300 range for a while, but I don't know how long. My fasting was 265 when I was diagnosed. I never had any real complications or felt like I was diabetic.

Once I started controlling my numbers, at first I did feel bad. I had what I thought was my first hypo episode, but I was only in the low 100s. Eventually my body got used to the lower numbers, and I'm in the 80-90 range often and feel great. When I have a high carb meal, I can feel it... I get foggy, tired, etc.

I think it's important to note that while you may not "feel" any damage being done... it's still happening. You may not notice anything until you get some kind of ulcer on your foot and it just refuses to heal...and something like that can get dangerous quick if your sugar isn't under control.

How are you eating? What is your diet like?

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Hi Linda - welcome to the forum. This is where I landed when I was diagnosed T2 earlier this year, and it has been invaluable in helping me get control.

I know nothing about insulin, so can't be of much (okay, any!) help there, but join wdmama in asking what your diet is like. That's a great first place to look in getting the most bang for your buck.

I think I was running high numbers for quite a while, but now that my diabetes is in control and my body has gotten used to lower numbers, I feel better than I have in years.

If you've been reading on the site, you've come across recommendations to peruse (or dig into) Blood Sugar 101 - it really is a wonderful primer (even for old-timers) on diabetes with cited studies.

Glad you joined us.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts