The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Do you have questions or just saying hello.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum. Do you have questions or just saying hello.
Just saying hello. A bit nervous today though. My 17 yr. old is driving his farthest distance w/a friend today and he is fully prepared and has all he needs...but I still worry. Letting him be independent is very important...but scares the heck out of me.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Better get used to it cause it won't be long and you will only be seeing him a couple times a year. It is ok to worry though as long it does not keep you from letting him go.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Just saying hello. A bit nervous today though. My 17 yr. old is driving his farthest distance w/a friend today and he is fully prepared and has all he needs...but I still worry. Letting him be independent is very important...but scares the heck out of me.
Boy - every parent knows THAT feeling! And 'tater's words are wise, as usual.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How old was he when he was diagnosed.
He was diagnosed at age 15 on November 14, 2009. Later we found out that 11/14 was World diabetes day! What a way to comemorate it huh?
He was at first treated as a maybe type 2... they even gave him Metformin along w/the insulin. After all the blood work though.. they decided that he was a type1 and that the autoimune attack was on his pancreas and his thyroid. So far nothing is being done about they thyroid because his numbers for that seem ok.
He is a very hard to figure out diabetic so far. His eating habbits are not as they should be but even if they were he is very hard to control.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Many teenagers have erratic eating habits. He sounds like a typical teen, and a really great kid :)

·
Registered
633 Posts
Let me just say not to be too hard on him not being as good as someone else thinks he should be. Let me share with you what mine is like. First off I don't believe in so called diabetic diets. There are things I won't do however, 1) Drink regular sodas. 2) eat candy unless treating a low, then watch out. 3) eat between meals without covering it with a bolus.

Now keep in mind that theses are simple and easy to do things. Does it mean that I never get a spike when I eat. No quite the opposite. There is nothing that I can eat that will not raise my blood glucose at least a little. I beef stick will raise me about 30 to 40 points. So your son is not at all so strange at least not to me.

Also just keep in mind that there is no such thing as the perfect diabetic. When you have type 1 some times the best we can do at duplicating what the human body does all on its own is a poor job.

His life changed the day he got diagnosed and there is nothing that will ever fix that. I know since being diagnosed in 1972 that I have since been diagnosed with 3 other autoimune diseases and now have what is refered to as Polyglandular Autoimune Syndrom Type II. Now I don't think about my diabetes as much as I do my addisons.

Good luck and keep in touch. I am sure he will do fine.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
There are many type 1 diabetics who have been able to live very long lives with their diabetes, without having any serious complications. To have this happen for your son it is necessary for him to take very good care of himself. He may not take his diabetes that seriously now, but if he does so in the near future he should be OK. I have been type 1 for 66 years, and I am very healthy. I have always done the best I could to have good control. I hope your son will learn all he can about his diabetes and improve his control soon.

Richard

1 - 12 of 12 Posts