The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, can I just say that joining this site was a little too complicated (esp. with poor eye sight)? LOL...

I'm 1.5 (I noticed that isn't listed... only type 1 or 2 and gestational). If you haven't heard of it...you're not alone. I was diagnosed last year, and had never heard of 1.5. It's basically auto-immune like Type 1, but high bg levels start later in life. Lots of low BG. Doesn't matter much. They're all the same when you come down to all the possible symptoms, and treatments.

Nice to meet you all!
Arniel

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Hi Arnie, we do have other LADA's or type 1.5's on this forum. I didn't realise you couldn't classify yourself on your signature. I'm sure some other 1.5's will chime in to help you with your low's. What type of insulin regimen are you currently on?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Arnie, we do have other LADA's or type 1.5's on this forum. I didn't realise you couldn't classify yourself on your signature. I'm sure some other 1.5's will chime in to help you with your low's. What type of insulin regimen are you currently on?
It's Arniel (female version of Arnie)... AR... NEEL. :)

Thanks for responding! Yeah, it's good to see other 1.5ers. I'm currently on 38 iu of Lantis (night only), except during my low cycle (more below on that - usually 32 iu). Short term Hemalog only as necessary. Don't use it except during my "high" cycle or OOPS that salad dressing that's "sugar free" at the restaurant was full of honey.

My "cycle" is really pretty predictable for now... but now that I'm heading into menopause, things are changing a bit. I actually have approx. 2 weeks of highs. By that I mean, 2 carb choices per meal only or I go to 300 if not careful. No problem. Next is one week of lows... 70 - 40s. Yeah. In the middle of the night... no symptoms. I have a continuous glucose monitor (cgm)... it's a Godsend! So, my kids wait for that week to treat me to a half a candy bar, or whatever. How sweet (pun intended). Then I have the week of "normalcy". My levels stay between 70 and 180 (usually right around 130) without much effort. So I'm not complaining. Gestational diabetes (4 times) was much harder, though fewer physical side effects besides extreme exhaustion.

Now that it's been a year, things are shifting a bit. My legs fell asleep (while gaming for about 1 hour); when I stood up, one leg went completely under! It was weird. Also, little wounds (blemishes / bug bites) take MONTHS to heal. Is that old age and diabetes? :)

Okay, enough about me. I'm doing well, all around, and have a wonderful support group. But this whole thing is still such a bizarre condition...

Happy New Year!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts