The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just recently diagmosed with T2 and started with a low carb diet right away. Now i am constantly feeling nausea and pretty much have to force my self to eat. Is this normal while my body is adjusting to the big change? I am not on any meds.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Yup, whether nausea, dizziness, tiredness, whatever... it's very normal for many of us to experience symptoms when first switching to low-carb.

For me it actually felt like hypoglycemic symptoms - although I was showing NORMAL blood sugar readings for once. It's just that the body isn't used to it, so it takes a little while to 'accommodate' to the change.

Most of us get back to feeling normal after a few days. It took me around 10 days or so if I remember correctly. It wasn't easy, but was WELL WORTH IT!

Keep it up, and good luck!

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Yup. Real common among low-carbing non-diabetics too. You might want to Google "Atkins flu" or "induction flu." A lot of those sites say it lasts 3-4 days, but, like Beefy, it took me 10-12 -- maybe because I had to get used to normal-ish blood glucose at the same time.

It does go away. Really!

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
It does, but your body is getting used to using fat for energy instead of carbs...you may want to buy some Ketone sticks just to check yourself for being ketonic. I did and keep an eye on it to reassure myself that that is what is going on. I want to stay in that state as long as possible. It took me awhile to recover from that 'flu' state. Maybe as long as 10 days, but I've been fine since then.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts