The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
yeah as far as for the stomach side effects, i haven't had any. I guess my stomach is built ford tough. which it always has been but this hair problem, holy crap i didn't see this one coming. like i said before, i kinda rather have some farts here and there and some stomach pains than be 29 and balding. blah. i wrote my doctor on secure messaging and I've got a docs appointment in a few days. Maybe it is some sort of vitamin deficiency, we shall see!
be sure to have your thyroid tested.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
pardon my ignorance, but what does a thyroid have to do with it? dang it, it just seems like everything is affected by diabetes. yay...whats next? my manly hood? oh wait, yep that could be affected too. lol oh lord help us

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
dang it, it just seems like everything is affected by diabetes. yay...
Yep,

You got it in one. From where I'm sitting, diabetes seems to be the front line troop in a whole range of issues that we have a chance of "enjoying" when our endocrine system goes off the rails.

And figuring our which one triggers another is a frustrating guessing game at times. Best we can do is keep careful track of what works for us. A nuisance; but as the French have it "C'est la vie" :)

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
pardon my ignorance, but what does a thyroid have to do with it? dang it, it just seems like everything is affected by diabetes. yay...whats next? my manly hood? oh wait, yep that could be affected too. lol oh lord help us
Don't laugh to hard about that 'manly hood'....it is coming also....good new is if you are not afraid of needles...that can be resolved also! ;) As they say no 'pain' no gain!

·
Registered
177 Posts
I just assumed when they said Diabetes:) that meant my blood-- which feeds every cell in my body- might cause other bodily issue to be askew.. I think that's why I took my diagnosis very seriously and took major steps to rectify it as much as possible.
yep having a bit of hair loss too.. my magnesium-vit d-and potassium levels were all low on my tests.. I'm hoping that going from an AC1 of 10.2 to 5.8 along with good fats and vit/min replacement will help alleviate this issue.

good luck and let us know what the doc says please.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I was diagnosed with diabetes and hyperthyroidism at exactly the same visit. Actually more than one visit because the hyperthyroidism got me referred to a endo.

The hyperthyroidism is why I was losing my hair. I'm 62 years old and since it's been corrected, my hair is growing nice and thick like it was when I was younger.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Do you know that the thyroid controls all bodily processes. Very important gland.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Today, around noon I had a BG of 88. I didn't eat anything until I went to work and had a salad with regular Italian dressing and a bunch of croutons (I know, bread) and then about an hour after I ate the salad I checked my BG and it was at 141. :( all that over a salad, and im sure its because of the dressing and croutons.

Also, I really don't like needles and to think I may have to put a needle in my junk? oh my lord, no.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
As long as you eat to your meter and use the LCHF way-of-eating, you shouldn't have to worry about needles anywhere, except for the finger prick to test your blood several times a day. Are you testing yet? Are you avoiding carbs and increasing fats?

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
Today, around noon I had a BG of 88. I didn't eat anything until I went to work and had a salad with regular Italian dressing and a bunch of croutons (I know, bread) and then about an hour after I ate the salad I checked my BG and it was at 141. :( all that over a salad, and im sure its because of the dressing and croutons.

Also, I really don't like needles and to think I may have to put a needle in my junk? oh my lord, no.
I'm curious why you chose 1) not to eat for several hours after getting up, and 2) why you chose to eat only a salad and added so many carbs to it?

As diabetics, we have to make a concerted effort to make up for the deficiencies of our diabetic bodies. We cannot continue in the ways we once did, the eating schedules we once did, and the food choices we once made. Diabetes changes all the rules.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts

You have the ability to choose your path! Either back off on carbs not over 50g per day, or add more meds! Bad news is, if you choose to continue eating high carbs, at some point your increase in medications may not work!

Do what is right...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
i think the reason why i tend to wait so long to eat after waking up is because thats just the way i always lived my life, i wake up, wait till lunch, then eat and then pretty much eat a late dinner.

as far as for adding carbs to my salad, yeah the more i think of it, kinda sounds dumb lol i guess ill either cut down on the croutons or take em out all together.

for the carbs, i pretty much keep that to a minimum. my BG is almost never over 150.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
..im also starting to get annoyed giving myself injections every morning. i know it could be worse (bc i know some of you take more than one injection) but for some reason its painful now, and i bleed after injecting. bleh...

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Bad news is if you keep going over 140 on BS, you will continue to need higher doses of insulin or adding some other meds, either way it will not have a happy ending. At 140 you start to destroy pancreatic cells that produce insulin....so your "almost never" still do damage...it is just a matter or time and how many "almost never" you have!

You can take control of this disease, but only you can decide to walk down that road...

Good Luck

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
We don't always actually know what damages the beta cells in our pancreases, but what we DO know is that high blood sugar (over 140/7.8) can cause irreparable damage to the retinas of our eyes, to our kidneys, and to our extremities, which becomes the cause of amputations of toes/feet/legs.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Shanny....thanks for the comments, but I could swear I read that BS running over 140 damages the pancreatic cells that produce insulin and over time leads to further complications from low insulin levels. So you are saying, we just don't know if that is true or not?

·
Super Moderator
9,533 Posts
Did you read it in BS101?

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
Did you read it in BS101?
WOW!!!! I read through most of the article, which was summaries of the cited studies (with links). There were a few studies that showed a correlation between BG above 140 and beta cell dysfunction and eventual death - but, if BG was lowered below this level consistently, and soon enough, some of the cells could be rejuvenated. Hope for the pre- folks.

My takeaway was that what we are advocating here on this forum is RIGHT ON! There really is no wiggle room in BG control if we are wanting to avoid diabetes complications AND cardio events. This is serious business, folks. And you younger members out there, please take it seriously and stop with the cheat meals and the wobbling on your control. You can avoid all kinds of health problems by keeping your BG always below 140 (and I'm thinking that below 120 would be a wise thing to do) and your A1C in the low 5% range.

Okay, I'm off my soap box now.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Shanny....thanks for the comments, but I could swear I read that BS running over 140 damages the pancreatic cells that produce insulin and over time leads to further complications from low insulin levels. So you are saying, we just don't know if that is true or not?
My apologies . . . I concede! :eek: But let's not cherry-pick the complications. I stand firmly by the final clause in my statement - retinal damage, kidney failure and amputations due to peripheral neuropathy. Beta cell destruction is neither the first nor the only result of high blood sugar.

·
Super Moderator
9,533 Posts
The sad thing is we know it causes damage to many organs/systems, yet newly diagnosed diabetics are not warned of these levels. Type 2s (including those that are called pre-diabetic) are told they either don't need to test or are told to test at times that will miss the highest BG levels.

41 - 60 of 77 Posts