The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I receive my pump tomorrow. Wondering if anyone out there uses 1 unit or less of insulin and is pumping. I started out on 12 units in am and 6 units in pm of 70/30 mix pen, which was terrible for me. I had too many lows. My situation has improved(honeymooning ?) since DXed 2 months ago.Now on just 1 unit of Lantus in the pm, and no premeal dosage and my BG's have been pretty solid. I of course have to go through the training first, but it seems a little premature to start pumping.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I have to admit I don't use a pump but thought they were basically prescribed for people who had difficulty with control. I think pumpers use a quick acting insulin in them not long acting like Lantus. I would think if you are only doing one shot a day it would be easier to use injections. We do have a lot of pumpers on the forum who will chime in.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I do know that they set your basal rate accordingly and then program that into pump as well as programming in your insulin to carb ratio. Then premeal you count carbs, enter in carb intake and the pump knows your bolus rate. This pump has what's called a Bolus Wizard I believe that does the calculation for you. But if I'm not bolusing whats the point? Just seems a little early for this, as I don't know my carb/insulin ratio either.

·
Registered
633 Posts
It is never too early to start. The time will come when you do need to bolus and that time is probably not far off. So you get used to the pump and how it works. Then you will get used to making your own changes in basal rates and bolus rates as well. You will be far better off getting a head start.

·
Registered
633 Posts
it should all be fast acting. There is no need to have long acting when you get a steady feed of fast acting. The nice part is that you set it up to give the amounts you need at the times you need them.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have to admit I don't use a pump but thought they were basically prescribed for people who had difficulty with control. I think pumpers use a quick acting insulin in them not long acting like Lantus. I would think if you are only doing one shot a day it would be easier to use injections. We do have a lot of pumpers on the forum who will chime in.
Nope, pumps are used for a number of reasons. My endo will not allow someone to get on a pump unless they have great control and are very diligent with their testing, etc. While a pump can help you dial in your insulin usage, thus giving you even greater control, it still takes a mindful eye to manage it correctly and safely.

Jwags is correct that pumps only use fast acting insulin as it is constantly fed into your body. No need for Lantus. While you are using little insulin right now, this may change in the future. Why do you want to get on the pump? Convenience, tighter control, the ability to pause insulin intake, etc?

I think the pump is simply amazing. I travel quite a bit and love not having to give myself shots on the plane or in the airport, or at restaurants, etc. Inserting a needle into myself once every three days rather than 5 times a day with injections is liberating to say the least.

Cheers,
Jeremy

Reactions: amg1099

·
Registered
25 Posts
Nope, pumps are used for a number of reasons. My endo will not allow someone to get on a pump unless they have great control and are very diligent with their testing, etc. While a pump can help you dial in your insulin usage, thus giving you even greater control, it still takes a mindful eye to manage it correctly and safely.

Jwags is correct that pumps only use fast acting insulin as it is constantly fed into your body. No need for Lantus. While you are using little insulin right now, this may change in the future. Why do you want to get on the pump? Convenience, tighter control, the ability to pause insulin intake, etc?

I think the pump is simply amazing. I travel quite a bit and love not having to give myself shots on the plane or in the airport, or at restaurants, etc. Inserting a needle into myself once every three days rather than 5 times a day with injections is liberating to say the least.

Cheers,
Jeremy
Hi Jeremy, I see that you were recently diagnosed in February. When did you start using the pump? I want to start on it but it seems that it's still too early and I haven't really mastered the carb counting. Do you also have CGM? Do you find this helpful? I'd love to hear from your feedback. thanks.

-allan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts