The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, have had type2 diabetes for eight years. started with metformin and glipizide BG good for seven years, last year started Novolin N , BG good for 6 months started creeping up , they changed to Novolin 70/30 and took me off glipizide since then BG has been bad , has anybody had any luck with Novolin 70/30 ? buy the way I am a59 year old retired painter with bad feet and 1 finger typing skills so forgive the breif introduction

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome, buddy's pop - thank you for joining us. And good for you getting going even if only with one or two fingers!

My experience with using insulin is very limited, and I'm going to step aside for our more knowledgeable members to discuss with you, but I do hope you'll settle in here and visit us often.

take care,

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hi Buddy. You might want to talk to your doctor about getting two different types of insulin instead of using the mix. A combination insulin doesn't allow enough flexibility to adjust for your metabolic needs (handled by a long-acting insulin) and food needs (covered by a short-acting insulin).

Let me recommend two books that will help you understand how to set up your own insulin program [of course you should inform your doctor as well]: Think Like a Pancreas by Gary Scheiner and Using Insulin by John Walsh. These are both very easy to understand and will give you a lot of confidence as you travel your path with insulin.

Good luck with this. It's confusing in the beginning, but will get easier as you gain experience.

Jen

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hi there, have had type2 diabetes for eight years. started with metformin and glipizide BG good for seven years, last year started Novolin N , BG good for 6 months started creeping up , they changed to Novolin 70/30 and took me off glipizide since then BG has been bad , has anybody had any luck with Novolin 70/30 ? buy the way I am a59 year old retired painter with bad feet and 1 finger typing skills so forgive the breif introduction
I never took 70/30 but did take Novolin N for a short period of time and it just didn't help me enough. I then switched to Lantus as my basal insulin and I use Novolog as my meal time bolus. This combo works really well for me. I agree with Jen and her book suggestions. I hope you can find something that helps you regain control.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Welcome to you buddy's pop! I never have taken the combo insulin, I dont hear a lot of good success with it. Most people I know with the best control are using A long acting basal insulin such as Lantus, and I fast acting insulin such as Humalog for meal bolus and corrections. I had pretty good control using those.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Hi, I am a new member of forum. Would a newcomer be warmly welcome here? Good day you guys!!!
Hello billy! Good to meet you and glad you found us! Tell us a little about yourself :)

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hi, I am a new member of forum. Would a newcomer be warmly welcome here? Good day you guys!!!
Hello and a warm friendly welcome to you! We are glad to have you as a member. There is a wealth of information to be found here on the forum and we hope you will feel right at home. Tell us a little about yourself and how you control your diabetes. Take care & hurry back!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for your replies everyone & I ordered the 2 books Jen suggested. Unfortunately I have a HMO that my doctor refers me to a pharmacist & they offer me two choices "take it or leave it". They do have a Novolin R a fast acting. So maybe I'll give that a try, unfortunately I just got a 100 day supply of 70/30. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Thanks for your replies everyone & I ordered the 2 books Jen suggested. Unfortunately I have a HMO that my doctor refers me to a pharmacist & they offer me two choices "take it or leave it". They do have a Novolin R a fast acting. So maybe I'll give that a try, unfortunately I just got a 100 day supply of 70/30. Thanks again!
Well, I guess you will have to take what they offer. You will get some help from the 70/30. Your HMO is trying to save money, Lantus and Novolog would work best, but those types of insulin cost double.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
And be careful about using a mix along with a stand along rapid acting insulin. I have not used the mix, but have great results with the lantus/humalog formula mentioned earlier.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts