The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 59yr. old mother of one, married 40yrs. and just went on Lantus 20units at bedtime. Also just started Victoza injections every morning and metformin 2000 a day. Have had diabetes around 10yrs. and just cant eat right and exercise like I should so they started me on all this. Read about Victoza and am really scared about taking it. Anyone out there no anything good about it, I read all the bad stuff. My count is usually around 250 to 388 to once it got to 434. Well like I said this is all new to me. But Thankyou for listening.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello, Pat . . . thank you for joining us.

I know nothing about victoza, but somehow you must get your diabetes under control. You really need to be scared stiff having such high blood sugar - victoza can't possibly do any more harm than those high levels.

When you say you can't eat right - what does that mean? I don't exercise like I should either, but between metformin and a low-carb diet, I'm keeping my numbers under 140 (7.7) - I'd like to be lower, and I keep struggling to get there.

There's a wealth of knowledge, wisdom, experience & support on this forum, and I hope you'll be able to visit often. These folks can surely help you as much as they have helped me!

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Shanny is right.

those meds you ask about (i dont know wither) cant be any worse then your high BS levels

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I am 59yr. old mother of one, married 40yrs. and just went on Lantus 20units at bedtime. Also just started Victoza injections every morning and metformin 2000 a day. Have had diabetes around 10yrs. and just cant eat right and exercise like I should so they started me on all this. Read about Victoza and am really scared about taking it. Anyone out there no anything good about it, I read all the bad stuff. My count is usually around 250 to 388 to once it got to 434. Well like I said this is all new to me. But Thankyou for listening.
Hello and wecome to the forum! I don't know anything about Victoza injections. I would ask your doctor to start you on some rapid acting insulin at meal time. I think you would see a difference in some of your readings. I hope you have time to visit us often. There is a wealth of information here and we really care about you and we will help you in any way that we can.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for replying to my post. I would like to ask the forum if the medication Victoza had a black box warning on it and said that it had caused cancer cells in rats and mice and they have no info how it effects humans since it is new, would you take it, The warning says it could cause thyroid cancer, and I have had my thyroid removed due to multinodular goiter, they found no cancer at the time of removal. It just makes me scared that it can cause a thyroid cancer and I have already had trouble in that area. But I have lost 5lbs in 5 days so I just dont know. Any feedback would be welcomed. Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seems like everyone on this site is well versed in how to use this forum bear with me I am learning, and not very good at it. Lots of info here though I can sure see that much. Thanks for the info and thoughts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You sound like my Drs!!! And your so right, I am just in denial or something..I am going to really try this time..I love food and well who doesnt right? Thanks for responding.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Don't hesitate to ask questions, Pat, whether it's about diabetes or the forum software . . . Somebody around here will usually have an answer, whatever the question! :D And yeah, most of us love to eat! heheh!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi Pat

Good to see you here looking for help. This place is great.

Here is an example of how eating something you shouldn't just because you want the taste of it can affect your BG levels.

I have been keeping my BG levels at the mid 5's (around 100) for a while now through eating a carb restricted diet and plenty of exercise.
This morning I was in a rush and grabbed breakfast from a cafe. I ate 2 pieces of white toast and had a strong coffee which sent my BG from a fasting 5.8 (104.4) to 8.6 (154.8) 1 hr after eating it. I will not be doing that again!!!

Diet is so important for us that you cant bury your head in the sand and hope it will be alright. There is a whole section of this forum dedicated to great tasting low carb meals that will bring your BG down.

You can get control of this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello, Pat . . . thank you for joining us.

I know nothing about victoza, but somehow you must get your diabetes under control. You really need to be scared stiff having such high blood sugar - victoza can't possibly do any more harm than those high levels.

When you say you can't eat right - what does that mean? I don't exercise like I should either, but between metformin and a low-carb diet, I'm keeping my numbers under 140 (7.7) - I'd like to be lower, and I keep struggling to get there.

There's a wealth of knowledge, wisdom, experience & support on this forum, and I hope you'll be able to visit often. These folks can surely help you as much as they have helped me!
Thanks for the encouragement!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Thank you for replying to my post. I would like to ask the forum if the medication Victoza had a black box warning on it and said that it had caused cancer cells in rats and mice and they have no info how it effects humans since it is new, would you take it, The warning says it could cause thyroid cancer, and I have had my thyroid removed due to multinodular goiter, they found no cancer at the time of removal. It just makes me scared that it can cause a thyroid cancer and I have already had trouble in that area. But I have lost 5lbs in 5 days so I just dont know. Any feedback would be welcomed. Thanks
Victoza Side Effects, Uses, & Interactions here is the information on the black box warning.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for telling me about Victoza. I am new to all this stuff so I found it interesting to read about.

Good luck with controlling your diabetes!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Victoza Side Effects, Uses, & Interactions here is the information on the black box warning.
Well I called my Dr. today and told him I was coming off the Victoza, due to my history with already having my Thyroid removed due to nodules and goiter, and the nausea was so bad I couldnt get out of bed hardly. I hope I dont start gaining weight back but I just too scared to continue with it. I still take Lantus 20 units and 2000m of metformin. Has anyone lost weight taking Lanus or does everyone gain with it? Thanks

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I've never been on insulin, but I have lost a fair amount of weight on metformin. It curbs my appetite, and many other people find this to be true as well.

Try to get a good low-carb meal plan going, and I think you'll be able to maintain the weight loss and continue losing even more. We have lots of tricks & trade-offs that we use to avoid the high-carb foods that we used to eat before diabetes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've never been on insulin, but I have lost a fair amount of weight on metformin. It curbs my appetite, and many other people find this to be true as well.

Try to get a good low-carb meal plan going, and I think you'll be able to maintain the weight loss and continue losing even more. We have lots of tricks & trade-offs that we use to avoid the high-carb foods that we used to eat before diabetes.
I will say one thng, this morning I woke up and the nausea was near gone, still feel weak, but thank goodness the nausea is better, I knew it was the Victoza doing it, I am going to try to do as you are doing and go on a low carb plan I am going to a nutrionist next week to get her to help me plan it. Thank you

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
go on a low carb plan I am going to a nutrionist next week to get her to help me plan it. Thank you
be careful, most of them want us to eat too many carbs!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts