The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a type 1 diabetic and have bee for most of my life. I was just two when I was diagnosed and now am 24. I think the older you get the harder it is to deal with!

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hi, JW. So glad you decided to join the group. We are always happy to have those who are familiar with juvenile diabetes and are willing to share their experience and knowledge with concerned parents. And if you have any questions, there are type 1's here who are quite knowledgeable, as I'm sure you also are, after 20 years of wrestling with the big D. Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks gizmo. I have never joined any type of group for diabetes support so I am hoping that I can get some new insight. And I am more than willing to help any parent with a child with type 1. I will have been dealing with it for 22 years in Oct. I have been through it all.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
We're glad to have you with us, JW . . . it does help a lot to have people you can talk to who actually know what you're talking about. I hope you'll settle in here & make yourself at home.

Did I understand you to say that you've switched from pumping back to MDI, just to keep yourself honest, as it were? I can see how that might happen when the pump makes it so easy.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Welcome to our community! You are an experienced type 1, but you may have questions. There are many type 1 diabetics here to answer them. I was diagnosed in 1945, when I was 6, and am very healthy. I have been using a pump for more than 4 years, and my control is the best I have ever had. I love my pump!

Richard

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I was on the pump for many years in high school, but from me I found that it was making it too easy for me to cheat. And being a girl trying to date I was no longer comfortable using the pump. I have to think twice now before eating something. I feel more in control with injections and I'm not always connect to something. It fits my life style much better now :)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
It's good that you've found what works best for you . . . as we keep saying, different strokes for different folks. ;) Each one has to work out their own system.

·
Registered
633 Posts
jwhoberry, what do you mean when you say it made it to easy to cheat. I was not aware of there being rules or regulations about what is allowed as far as diet, exercise, or any other asspect of life.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hi jwhoberry. I've not tried a pump since I have good control without one. I think MDI are really flexible and completely fit my lifestyle too. I'm a Levemir/Novolog girl - how about you?

Jen

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jen said:
Hi jwhoberry. I've not tried a pump since I have good control without one. I think MDI are really flexible and completely fit my lifestyle too. I'm a Levemir/Novolog girl - how about you?

Jen
Hey Jen I am a monologue/ lantus girl. How long have you been diabetic?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Adjitater said:
jwhoberry, what do you mean when you say it made it to easy to cheat. I was not aware of there being rules or regulations about what is allowed as far as diet, exercise, or any other asspect of life.
What I mean is I found it too easy to want to eat sweets or things I knew I should not have. Growing up my mom abd dad called it "cheating"

·
Registered
633 Posts
See I don't think there are things that I shouldn't have. It is just a matter of choices. I choose to eat whatever I want when ever I want it just like everyone else in the world does.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts