The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I am a type 1 diabetic. Been on insulin 11 months and very frustrated. Struggles with blood sugar control and health care. Seeing a new doctor this week - an endocronologist. Looking to educate myself more.

Nice to meet you

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi, Precious. If you are looking to educate yourself, Blood Sugar 101 is a great place to do that. We have some type 1's here who have had the big D for many years, but are very healthy and can give you some great advice.

We are glad you found us. If you have any questions, ask away. Welcome.

Froggie

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello. I am a type 1 diabetic. Been on insulin 11 months and very frustrated. Struggles with blood sugar control and health care. Seeing a new doctor this week - an endocronologist. Looking to educate myself more.

Nice to meet you
Hello & welcome, Precious. We have a many members who are type 1, and you'll get good advice. Good for you being pro-active & finding the right doc to supervise your health care.

As Froggie says, BloodSugar101 has lots of information presented in a straightforward manner - easy for us laypersons to understand.

Take care, hurry back, and thank you for joining us!

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello, welcome! If you are using insulin injections and are having trouble with highs and lows, then I recommend the book "Using Insulin" by John Walsh. It will help you establish carb ratios, and teach you many other things. I have been a type 1 diabetic for 66 years, and am very healthy. Once you get good control and take good care of yourself, you can have a long, healthy life!

Richard

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Hello and welcome!
I`m also type 1 and been on insulin for 13 months.
For me life with diabetes became much easier when I started to live LCHF.
Lots of nice people here and also lots of good info!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LCHF does that mean low carb, high fiber?

For the last 3 months I have been on my own doctor wise. At my last appointment he basically threw up his hands and refered me to the new endocronoligist I am seeing for the fist time tomorrow. I have been self treating for these past months and not doing well at it.

I know doctors don't have all the answers but having one on my side for a change would be good.

Wish me luck.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
LCHF = low-carb/high-fat

Good luck with your appointment tomorrow. Finding a good doc can be frustrating, but hope you find one who will be a good partner with you.

Interested in hearing how it goes.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
:welcome: from me!

LCHF does that mean low carb, high fiber?
As moon said in the post prior to mine, it's Low-Carb / High Fat. It's counter-intuitive to what we've been told for the past 30 years... but all the science shows it's one of the healthiest ways to eat, and ESPECIALLY for diabetics.

For the last 3 months I have been on my own doctor wise. At my last appointment he basically threw up his hands and refered me to the new endocronoligist I am seeing for the fist time tomorrow. I have been self treating for these past months and not doing well at it.

I know doctors don't have all the answers but having one on my side for a change would be good.

Wish me luck.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.
OK, Good Luck!

Your endo should certainly be better at treating Diabetes than the family physician. And no, doctors definitely do not have all the answers. Much of what you learn on your own will work better than what they say.

You'll likely find one of the best ways to control your BG's is by lowering Carb intake... don't be swayed by medical professionals that tell you to eat 60+ grams of carbs per meal, it's nonsense if you want healthy BG levels. I personally eat around 90g in a day, and I'm a 220lb guy with a healthy appetite... Some of the Type I's can get away with more carbs then me, because they use insulin and aren't as insulin-resistant as I am. For this Type II guy though, it's low-carb.

Nice to have you here, good luck!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I feel that the diabetic education class I took in Febuary was more harm than good. They told me I was not eatting enough carbs. The diatition told be to eat 13 carb choices a day which = 195 carbs a day. I have no clue what is right but I know their guidelines have not helped me.

I started keeping track of everything: blood sugars, sleep, and every piece of food I eat. I see days I can't eat enough and days I don't eat much. I have to eat some days because the blood sugars are low. And then when they are high I don't want to eat but I am just so hungry I do.

I exercise about 5 days a week. I try to keep good track of blood sugars by testing 5-8 times a day. I am just sooo confused anymore and very frustrated.

My new quote I have been saying, "I feel all foods are my enemy".

Am going to discuss low carb with endo tomorrow. Along with the inslin issues I have. I am on Lantus but feel maybe a shorter acting insulin would work better.

Thanks for letting me vent....I am emotionally a wreck not knowing the right things to do anymore.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Precious? Don't be surprised if you get flack from the endo about low carb eating . . . we've come to the conclusion that the medical community is sworn to uphold the programs of the ADA, even though it's wrong. Apparently some of their jobs are even at stake if they don't press on with the ADA agenda.

Your best strategy is to use your meter to test the foods you eat, and eliminate the ones that raise your BG too high. This will allow you to use less insulin & that will in turn help you avoid gaining weight which can cause insulin resistance, even in type 1 patients. Keep records of what you eat & what the resulting BG readings are, and produce your records for anyone who doubts that LCHF can be beneficial for diabetics. My doc hasn't come around quite completely yet, but he's moving in my direction. Even today when he suggested statins again, he carefully left the door open for me to decline if I, as he said, "have concerns about it" (and in writing, believe it or not! :D)

Your meter is the best tool you have besides your insulin, so make good use of it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I may just suprise some peeps...

Had my first Endocronologist appointment and found the experience wonderful.

Results:

A1c 6.2

Lowered dosage of lantus from 36 to 24 (taken twice a day)

Added humalog at meals based on the ratio of 1:15 for now to begin with. I am allowed to changed this as I see a need arise.

Was told I was doing well on the exercise, to keep up the good work.

Diet: was discussed at length. He suggested a lower carb diet of 60-90 but said for me to shoot for the 60 end. Told me I can still have my diet coke w caffine.

So LCHF is my new way. Doctor supported. Yipee!

Checked my urine for protines = negitive so good news.

Did blood work to check throyd and will get results Monday.

I even got complimented for doing so well without doctor support.

Now as to type - he said it does not realy matter right now - I would be receiving the same treatment so I could save the expense. He said they would do it if I really wanted them to.

So what type does he feel I am? 1.5 or 1 but treated the same way.

So this change will take some time but I will gain control :)

Thank you all

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
You hang onto that doc, Precious! He's worth his weight in GOLD! heheh! Very thorough, and I'm so glad he has the brains to recognize your success without medical support.

It's great to get reports like this - you feel free to surprise us peeps as often as you like! :D

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Thank you shammy. My morning fasting blood glucose is 88. Lowest in months. I emotionally feel so much better having a plan.
I bet you feel so much better having a plan, and that the plan is working for you! :cheer2::thumb::dance:

I would give my...well I'm not going to mention my limbs here...or my organs....:) to have such great numbers in the morning! I still can't get below my lowest so far which was 166 (only got there a couple of times as well...don't know what I did right :confused:)

But, congrats on these results! Always a stress reducer when you get great news from doc!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well had several spikes today. High 100s but all below 200.

Did not do so well on reaching my carb goal of 60. Todays number was 104 carbs. I am sure it takes time to reduce them. It also is a challenge.

Bought a cab counting book today: The Diabetes carbohydrate & fat gram guide by the ADA. Lowest price book that was comprehensive.

Tomorrow is a new day and I can just try again. But today was a sucess in that I have a plan and am working the plan.

Thanks you all the encouragement.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Absolutely a success - a plan is good, and working it is great. 104 carbs, while not your goal, is certainly fewer than you were eating before. Success.

It's such a seismic shift in diet to let go of our carbs and add healthy fats, and it does take time to change decades-long patterns. Good to see you being gentle with yourself about it - you're on your way.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It does help to talk about it here. I live alone and really don't have a small support system. I figure it I talk about it here I can get advise from others plus the added benifit of venting.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Welcome, Precious! So glad you found us and you have found a great support system here. We care and will share information as we can. We don't have all the answers, but there are enough of us to help out one way or another. The secret for me was listening to all the advice and dropping 50 lbs. I was given steroid shots for my arthritis, so my glucose this morning is higher, but I had to have it in order to exercise more. It's a cunning problem we have, so we have to make the best we can of it and move on.

Welcome again, and tell us more about your adventure, as that is what I view it now, just another adventure in life! Keeps me positive about what others see as an ordeal.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well today went better. I ate 63 carbs today. Right in my goal frame. I did end up eatting 12 carbs a few mins ago as my blood sugar was a little low for bedtime. I have to take my long acting Lantus and was afraid if I did not eat some I would drop too low while I slept.

How do other's guage this? How low is ok to sleep with? I know in January I was told 140 was the lowest before bed. I have been getting away with 120s. I know I sometimes, but not always rise while I sleep? Any suggestions?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 31 Posts