The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. My name is Steve - I'm 57 and was diagnosed with type 2, 3 months ago. So far I am on metformin 500mg twice a day. Doc didn't recommend testing but I go back this week to get a progress report. He said - lose 25 pounds and I'll have you off of the meds. We'll see.

I make my living as a commercial real estate appraiser and consultant. I am married with 5 kids and 5 grandkids.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello Steve, welcome aboard! I have read many times about Type 2 diabetics losing weight and then stopping their meds. So it is indeed possible. Don't try and force yourself to lose the 25 pounds quickly. Cut down on your carbs and calories and sodium gradually so you can adjust as you proceed. I am currently eating 130g of carbs per day and I walk 2.5 miles per day on roads with hills. I would do more but I am 70 and that is about my limit. I have a Type 2 friend who eats only 80 carbs per day. He has lost a lot of weight. I cannot seem to adjust to less than 130. I guess we have to all find our own levels. Good luck with your weight loss!

Richard

1 - 2 of 2 Posts