The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One day last month when I left home to go to the VA for my weekly PT for my bad back I notice that everything was blurry. :eek:I mean really blurry. I have worn glasses for 50 years and the first thing I hoped, since I am very near sighted, was that both the lens had fell out. Not so just wishful thinking. While I am at the VA I leave a message for the eye doctor that my vision is blurry. When I get home she had called and left a message asking me to come in the next day and that she would fit me in somehow even if she had to stay late to do it. The next day when she seen me she ask me if I had Diabetes and I told her that my blood test had been close to boarder line but never over. She check my eyes and said they did not looked damaged but that I should also see my primary VA doctor. She put a message for me in the computer for him to see the next day. The next morning he calls and tells me to get there ASAP and to go to the lab and get blood work done. After the results came back he gave me the bad news. A1A was 11.2 and the finger prick reading I think he said was 281. He put me on Glyburide and told me that if I listen to him and do what he tells me to do that my vision most likely will return to normal for me. Strange thing is that my vision did get back to the point that it matched my glasses again for a few days. But it has continued to change. Now it seems like the glasses are to strong. Just guessing here. I don't even wear the glasses in the house anymore I can see better without them. The glasses are no line trifocal and the intermediate region of the glasses seem to match what I need for the distance vision. It would be nice if Diabetes cured my nearsightedness. Yeah I know more wishful thinking.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
460 Posts
Hello and Welcome.

Yes vision changes with high Blood Glucose (BG) is not uncommon -- I had similar myself at diagnosis -- it has to do with Glucose levels in the fluids of the eyes. I'm surprised that neither Doctor explained this to you. You may expect further changes as you establish BG control so (as I was advised) do not get a new vision prescription for few months until things are settled as it could be a waste of money. You may find the cheap reading glasses at your local drug store may help in the meantime.

Please stay around, read, share and ask questions.

G

·
welcome Arrycat :) as Frank has said don't go getting new glasses just yet. You will go through a period of getting your BGLs stablised. Have you done any adjustments to your diet and exercise? Be careful on Glyburide as it is a drug that stimulates release of insulin from your pancreas which means you can be prone to hypoglycemia. Personally I experienced hypos on all sorts of oral meds and plenty of high BGLs too. Speak with your doc if you notice that meds aren't working well for you at any point. I'm sure you will find this a great place for support and info. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I'd also like to welcome you Arrycat. One thing you didn't mention is if you now have a meter and if you use it. It will be a big help controlling your BG and needs to become your best friend as you stumble along this rocky path! :)

Several years ago at my annual eye exam I asked the doctor if everyone had 'bad' eye days and he said yes...and, now I know why some days my eyes were better than others...or, maybe why.

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
He put me on Glyburide and told me that if I listen to him and do what he tells me to do that my vision most likely will return to normal for me.
They definitely will return to normal. I too saw better without my glasses at very high glucose levels, and as they were coming down my vision matched my glasses =very= briefly, then got incredibly bad so that I couldn't see near or far. By 3-4 weeks I was doing okay and anxious for a new prescription but heeded advice not to.

Now, 3 months out, the new glasses I got last year (before dx, but obviously w/ high glucose) aren't as good as the prescription before that.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Since your vision has improved, I assume your bg has improved, too, and since the advice your doctor gave you is working for you, stick to it or your bg will probably go back up and vision will go back down.

Like the others, I advise you get a prick test and keep your bg below 140 at all times, 'cause 140 and above is when bad things happen to your body.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I do have a FreeStyle Freedom meter. I just used it and got a reading of 139
That's wonderful, considering where you started. I just wanted to add a PS. When I said keep it below 140, I meant to try to avoid complications. If you try to keep it at or below 100 would be great.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hi Arrycat . . . just to emphasize Frank's mention of cheap reading glasses - they are definitely the way to go until you get everything stabilized. I think I have 4 or 5 pairs of readers lying around here from 1.75x to 3.25x, documenting my journey. :rolleyes:

Take care and thank you for joining us. :D

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think many of us have been through similar things. I was actually referred to the Opthamologist because they saw some damage. The first question he asked was whether I was diabetic, I said No. He ordered some bloodwork and sure enough I was very much diabetic. I think it took about 3 months for my eyes to return to normal.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
That vision thing is truly scary, and it seems docs never mention it. Everything I needed to know about blurry vision, I learned in this Forum.

Welcome, Arrycat! :welcome:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts