The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am newly diagnosed type2 person. I was dignosed about 8 weeks ago. After changing my diet and taking my prescibed meds, I now only rarely measure a BS over 100. Most times it's in the 80's. Yay!

I little of my story and it sounds like so many of the other new peoples I have read.

I have been losing weight for nearly 7 months, 35 pounds. Not that I minded it, but I knew it wasn't all good. I kept complaining to my doctors but they didn't seem all that concerned. I was, I knew I had no reason to be losing weight!

The changes took hold of me so gradually. I didn't realize that I was drinking so much. Urinating often and at night. Slow to heal. You name the classic symptom, I had it. I just couldn't see it.

In May I finally woke up to what was going on. But I had to really battle to get the doctors to listen (another story for another day). Then one day my vision just whacked out. Blurry, blurry, blurry.

I went to my eye doctor and he asked if I was diabetic. I said, I though it was quite likely, but I couldn't get in to the doctor for 3 more weeks. I was trying!

I finally borrowed a glucometer from a friend. I thought the meter was broken because I didn't believe that the results could be true. I was at 330 when I woke up and went to over 400 during the day. I finally called the doctors and told them the readings. No surprise, they finally had time to see me, the next day.

The doctors found a A1c of 13.3%. Ouch... they had to draw blood to confirm because it was so high. The numbers were right. I was pee-ing my life away! Finally the doctors were listening to me.

So, I was put on meds and sent home.

Uhhhh, right, I'm now hungry and have no idea what I am supposed to eat. I was lost. Fortunately my friend who loaned me the meter stepped in and gave me the basics of carb counting. I got by until I could get more help. I have now gone to a dietician and learned how to eat for this disease. It's a good thing I love vegetables!

I guess I'm like so many of you. I have to learn how this all works and how my body responds to the food I eat. That will take time. In the mean time, I plan to keep my blood sugar down as it is now and hopefully manage this so that I do not suffer the damage diabetes can do.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Welcome! Glad you got a handle on it, and really good you like begs too. I'm in misery today because my daughter is coming and I live where I can buy purple hull peas and butter beans, and she doesn't get them where she lives, so I took some outta the freezer and cooked them for her to munch on while she's here. I love them too, but my dietician (my meter) won't let me touch them. I will have to buy some baby spinach and cook it for me and some cauliflower! Of course I like those, but I grew up on peas, cornbread and butter beans cooked with some ham. No fresh, homegrown tomatoes because of the extreme
heat, so store bought ones will have to suffice.

Good luck to you and hope to hear more as you go along!

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Blurry vision can be pretty scary, but now that your bg is down, I'll bet that has cleared up. And it's fortunate you had a friend with a spare meter to loan you because your numbers were mighty high. So glad you have things in hand and that you found the forum. If you have any questions, ask away.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Welcome

Hi all,

I am newly diagnosed type2 person. I was dignosed about 8 weeks ago. After changing my diet and taking my prescibed meds, I now only rarely measure a BS over 100. Most times it's in the 80's. Yay!

I little of my story and it sounds like so many of the other new peoples I have read.

I have been losing weight for nearly 7 months, 35 pounds. Not that I minded it, but I knew it wasn't all good. I kept complaining to my doctors but they didn't seem all that concerned. I was, I knew I had no reason to be losing weight!

The changes took hold of me so gradually. I didn't realize that I was drinking so much. Urinating often and at night. Slow to heal. You name the classic symptom, I had it. I just couldn't see it.

In May I finally woke up to what was going on. But I had to really battle to get the doctors to listen (another story for another day). Then one day my vision just whacked out. Blurry, blurry, blurry.

I went to my eye doctor and he asked if I was diabetic. I said, I though it was quite likely, but I couldn't get in to the doctor for 3 more weeks. I was trying!

I finally borrowed a glucometer from a friend. I thought the meter was broken because I didn't believe that the results could be true. I was at 330 when I woke up and went to over 400 during the day. I finally called the doctors and told them the readings. No surprise, they finally had time to see me, the next day.

The doctors found a A1c of 13.3%. Ouch... they had to draw blood to confirm because it was so high. The numbers were right. I was pee-ing my life away! Finally the doctors were listening to me.

So, I was put on meds and sent home.

Uhhhh, right, I'm now hungry and have no idea what I am supposed to eat. I was lost. Fortunately my friend who loaned me the meter stepped in and gave me the basics of carb counting. I got by until I could get more help. I have now gone to a dietician and learned how to eat for this disease. It's a good thing I love vegetables!

I guess I'm like so many of you. I have to learn how this all works and how my body responds to the food I eat. That will take time. In the mean time, I plan to keep my blood sugar down as it is now and hopefully manage this so that I do not suffer the damage diabetes can do.
Hi JP and welcome to the site. Glad you found us and hope you'll jump right in and enjoy the friendship and information.

Gene

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Blurry vision can be pretty scary, but now that your bg is down, I'll bet that has cleared up. And it's fortunate you had a friend with a spare meter to loan you because your numbers were mighty high. So glad you have things in hand and that you found the forum. If you have any questions, ask away.
You bet is was scary! I was wearing a pair of reading glasses over my regular bifocal glasses just to see to do my job. I was very worried.

I go back to the optometrist again next Monday. My eyes are pretty much back to where they started. But, I want to be sure that my prescription is correct and to have him do a dialation and check my retinas to make sure there is no damage (fingers crossed). At least my health insurance company will pay it now even without vision coverage.

I have a lot of questions. I will ask them over time. I just got done last night with the last of 6 hours of classes with a dietician. I now understand what I need to do to eat properly. That is a big step forward.

Now more exercise is the next hurdle to cross. I gotta get in better shape. :cool:

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
JP, as you can see by Patdart's comment, when a newbie tells us they plan to follow their dietician's instructions, a red flag goes up for most of us because many of us did just that and our bg kept going higher and higher every day. Some even ended up with numb legs and feet, vision getting worse, and other things. Please do yourself a favor and do as much reading as you can at Blood Sugar 101

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JP, as you can see by Patdart's comment, when a newbie tells us they plan to follow their dietician's instructions, a red flag goes up for most of us because many of us did just that and our bg kept going higher and higher every day. Some even ended up with numb legs and feet, vision getting worse, and other things. Please do yourself a favor and do as much reading as you can at Blood Sugar 101
I will do that Gizmo. The more I know the better my health will be.

So far my blood sugar has been good and staying down not going up. I think that is a sign that I am eating right. But there is so much more to learn.

Thanks for the tip.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts