The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Welcome

Hi all,

I am newly diagnosed type2 person. I was dignosed about 8 weeks ago. After changing my diet and taking my prescibed meds, I now only rarely measure a BS over 100. Most times it's in the 80's. Yay!

I little of my story and it sounds like so many of the other new peoples I have read.

I have been losing weight for nearly 7 months, 35 pounds. Not that I minded it, but I knew it wasn't all good. I kept complaining to my doctors but they didn't seem all that concerned. I was, I knew I had no reason to be losing weight!

The changes took hold of me so gradually. I didn't realize that I was drinking so much. Urinating often and at night. Slow to heal. You name the classic symptom, I had it. I just couldn't see it.

In May I finally woke up to what was going on. But I had to really battle to get the doctors to listen (another story for another day). Then one day my vision just whacked out. Blurry, blurry, blurry.

I went to my eye doctor and he asked if I was diabetic. I said, I though it was quite likely, but I couldn't get in to the doctor for 3 more weeks. I was trying!

I finally borrowed a glucometer from a friend. I thought the meter was broken because I didn't believe that the results could be true. I was at 330 when I woke up and went to over 400 during the day. I finally called the doctors and told them the readings. No surprise, they finally had time to see me, the next day.

The doctors found a A1c of 13.3%. Ouch... they had to draw blood to confirm because it was so high. The numbers were right. I was pee-ing my life away! Finally the doctors were listening to me.

So, I was put on meds and sent home.

Uhhhh, right, I'm now hungry and have no idea what I am supposed to eat. I was lost. Fortunately my friend who loaned me the meter stepped in and gave me the basics of carb counting. I got by until I could get more help. I have now gone to a dietician and learned how to eat for this disease. It's a good thing I love vegetables!

I guess I'm like so many of you. I have to learn how this all works and how my body responds to the food I eat. That will take time. In the mean time, I plan to keep my blood sugar down as it is now and hopefully manage this so that I do not suffer the damage diabetes can do.
Hi JP and welcome to the site. Glad you found us and hope you'll jump right in and enjoy the friendship and information.

Gene

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.