The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had type 2 for eight years and I am just now taking it seriously. I know kinda stupid, like if I ignore it, it will go away. Now I am exercising, eating less carbs and I am dealing with lows a lot. I have cut my glucovance in half every morning and each evening as well, with the OK from the doc. of course. However, still fighting lows at times and feeling bad when my sugar is below 100. I guess my body was adjusted to being high most of the time. What do you eat?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I have had type 2 for eight years and I am just now taking it seriously. I know kinda stupid, like if I ignore it, it will go away. Now I am exercising, eating less carbs and I am dealing with lows a lot. I have cut my glucovance in half every morning and each evening as well, with the OK from the doc. of course. However, still fighting lows at times and feeling bad when my sugar is below 100. I guess my body was adjusted to being high most of the time. What do you eat?
Hello red and :welcome: to the forum! There is a wealth of information here at the forum. Read what interests you and if you can't find something, just do a search on the forum page in the white box. You may have not been taking of yourself, but you are trying now, that is what is important! I had scrambled eggs with shredded sharp cheddar cheese and 1/2 of bottle of apple juice for breakfast. For lunch, I ate a small meal (might as well be a snack.) for example I might have some string cheese or some pork rinds. For dinner I eat a lot of grilled chicken with a salad and sometimes I have 1/2 baked potato, if I am still hungry, I eat more chicken and sometimes I eat a portion of sugar free pudding. What is to eat at your house? I hope you will feel comfortable here and will visit often. I hope we can still help you out, since you have had diabetes for awhile. Take care and I hope to see you soon, take care red. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello red and :welcome: to the forum! There is a wealth of information here at the forum. Read what interests you and if you can't find something, just do a search on the forum page in the white box. You may have not been taking of yourself, but you are trying now, that is what is important! I had scrambled eggs with shredded sharp cheddar cheese and 1/2 of bottle of apple juice for breakfast. For lunch, I ate a small meal (might as well be a snack.) for example I might have some string cheese or some pork rinds. For dinner I eat a lot of grilled chicken with a salad and sometimes I have 1/2 baked potato, if I am still hungry, I eat more chicken and sometimes I eat a portion of sugar free pudding. What is to eat at your house? I hope you will feel comfortable here and will visit often. I hope we can still help you out, since you have had diabetes for awhile. Take care and I hope to see you soon, take care red. :)
Thank you for the welcome. I eat the same foods you are eating too.I eat a lot of fruit and maybe that is my problem with trying to lose weight. I may also need my meds adjusted since I am experiencing lows. I will read this forum and learn, glad you all are here. You take care too.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
red, what meds are you on? What kinds of fruit are you eating or drinking the juice?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
red, what meds are you on? What kinds of fruit are you eating or drinking the juice?
I am on glucovance which is metformin 1000mg and glyburide 10mg in the am and pm. I have reduced this to one-half the dose with the doc's approval and I still experience lows, I think it is the glyburide. It is strawberry season here and I thought they were low carb. I also eat blueberries, blackberries and apples. I never drink juice, I am afraid to.I often get a low of 60, and I walk 2 miles every day which may contribute to the lows.

O

·
0 Posts
welcome Red :) at least you're willing to try your best and that's all we can do. Everyone is so different in managing their condition. I love strawberries! I'm not a big fruit eater at all though.... in fact these days I only have half a glass of fruit juice with breakfast. But occasionally during the day I opt for an apple or something as a snack. I eat carbs, but I tend to stick to low GI grain carbs mostly or dairy carbs. So I usually start my day with some porridge. I have a small amount of either pasta or basmati rice with the rest of my main meals. Snacks I stick to greek yoghurt, cheese & crackers, nuts, or sometimes a home baked product I've made (I'm the baker in the family). I use soy & linseed bread usually (I don't eat bread that often though), sometimes I try other grain breads.... but I refuse to touch white or brown breads. I also don't fair too well on vegetable carbs... so I don't eat potato, corn, pumpkin, carrot, etc... very often and if I do I will make sure I've got a low GI option on my plate now to ward off the hypo (when I'm smart enough to remember. lol). I love my vegetables too... my favourite is broccoli. If I eat out I always insist on steamed vegetables which here is mainly your broccoli, cauliflower, squash, zucchini, and beans or snow peas, and sometimes carrot. I used to eat a lot of salad for lunch and dinner... I think it was coming out of my ears! I love tuna and salmon and have that probably 2-3 times every week or more. I eat red meat probably 2-3 weekly too. That's just giving you an idea. We're all different with what we eat really. I'm sure you will find this a great place for support and info. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
welcome Red :) at least you're willing to try your best and that's all we can do. Everyone is so different in managing their condition. I love strawberries! I'm not a big fruit eater at all though.... in fact these days I only have half a glass of fruit juice with breakfast. But occasionally during the day I opt for an apple or something as a snack. I eat carbs, but I tend to stick to low GI grain carbs mostly or dairy carbs. So I usually start my day with some porridge. I have a small amount of either pasta or basmati rice with the rest of my main meals. Snacks I stick to greek yoghurt, cheese & crackers, nuts, or sometimes a home baked product I've made (I'm the baker in the family). I use soy & linseed bread usually (I don't eat bread that often though), sometimes I try other grain breads.... but I refuse to touch white or brown breads. I also don't fair too well on vegetable carbs... so I don't eat potato, corn, pumpkin, carrot, etc... very often and if I do I will make sure I've got a low GI option on my plate now to ward off the hypo (when I'm smart enough to remember. lol). I love my vegetables too... my favourite is broccoli. If I eat out I always insist on steamed vegetables which here is mainly your broccoli, cauliflower, squash, zucchini, and beans or snow peas, and sometimes carrot. I used to eat a lot of salad for lunch and dinner... I think it was coming out of my ears! I love tuna and salmon and have that probably 2-3 times every week or more. I eat red meat probably 2-3 weekly too. That's just giving you an idea. We're all different with what we eat really. I'm sure you will find this a great place for support and info. Keep us posted on how you're doing.
Thank you for the welcome. Yes, I am finally taking this seriously. I had salmon and squash last night for dinner. I too love vegetables as well as fruit, but I must be careful what vegetables I eat, no potatoes, carrots or peas. My blood sugar was 99 two hours after I had that dinner and I was afraid to take my evening glucovance for fear of getting low, I hate the lows. So this morning it was 103, I guess I should have taken the meds last night. That is my problem, if I take the glucovance I get low if not I run over 100, first thing in the AM. What do your numbers look like? Thanks for replying.

O

·
0 Posts
Thank you for the welcome. Yes, I am finally taking this seriously. I had salmon and squash last night for dinner. I too love vegetables as well as fruit, but I must be careful what vegetables I eat, no potatoes, carrots or peas. My blood sugar was 99 two hours after I had that dinner and I was afraid to take my evening glucovance for fear of getting low, I hate the lows. So this morning it was 103, I guess I should have taken the meds last night. That is my problem, if I take the glucovance I get low if not I run over 100, first thing in the AM. What do your numbers look like? Thanks for replying.
I'm on insulin and since being on insulin I've had even more hypos than I did on oral meds. I can't take oral meds anymore as I don't have enough of my own insulin... and I can't tolerate metformin. My BGLs fluctuate a lot at the moment and that's because my stomach doesn't seem to be working properly, I've been seeing a gastroenterologist since last Dec. So I'm on a lot of trial and error at the moment (my treatment still hasn't been sorted properly) and keeping my BGLs under control has been rather tricky to say the least. But my fasting BGLs are often the better number for the day, but I do get at least one not so good looking number every day which I find frustrating as I usually can't find reason for it most of the time... well actually I probably do have an idea and it's usually not food, more like stress or pain.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm on insulin and since being on insulin I've had even more hypos than I did on oral meds. I can't take oral meds anymore as I don't have enough of my own insulin... and I can't tolerate metformin. My BGLs fluctuate a lot at the moment and that's because my stomach doesn't seem to be working properly, I've been seeing a gastroenterologist since last Dec. So I'm on a lot of trial and error at the moment (my treatment still hasn't been sorted properly) and keeping my BGLs under control has been rather tricky to say the least. But my fasting BGLs are often the better number for the day, but I do get at least one not so good looking number every day which I find frustrating as I usually can't find reason for it most of the time... well actually I probably do have an idea and it's usually not food, more like stress or pain.
Yes, the way one feels must have an effect on BGLs. I was feeling sick today and mine was crazy too. Hope you get to feeling better soon.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I am on glucovance which is metformin 1000mg and glyburide 10mg in the am and pm. I have reduced this to one-half the dose with the doc's approval and I still experience lows, I think it is the glyburide. It is strawberry season here and I thought they were low carb. I also eat blueberries, blackberries and apples. I never drink juice, I am afraid to.I often get a low of 60, and I walk 2 miles every day which may contribute to the lows.
I would bet that it is the glyburide, ask your doctor about DC that medication. Keep us posted!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts