The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone! I am glad to be here. It will be hard to follow an introduction like Noodle's. What fun he wold be to hang out with! I have been battling my diabetes diagnosis for about 8 years now (since I was 32-ok 34). When I was 7 weeks pregnant, I was diagnosed as a gestational diabetic with an A1c of 9 (I know, crazy- at 7 weeks, someone should have said something) & put on insulin. The day my dd was born, my bs was never taken again & I was never given insulin again... until I went to a check-up a year later & my gyno said - WOW- your bs is 380! you should have that checked... Of course, I remembered all the fun I had with the shots and so instead I just started back on my low-carb diet. I have never been overweight & have been very active most of my life, so at the time I was 5' 7" & 125 lbs. I knew the "eat right & exercise speech" by heart from my pregnancy. A year of that did no good. I was training for 10Ks & was too tired! My dr. said I was type 2, & I needed to do more diet & exercise. I was put on pills. For about 3 years I tried various oral meds but they made no difference one way or the other. Each new dr sent me to a new dietician who didn't believe a word I said until I quit going to the dr. & quit taking the oral meds. Over the next couple of years, I was eating less than 1200 calories a day with no more than 20 grams of carbs a day, running about 9 miles a week & living off of two or three Monster energy drinks/day just to get out of bed- not too healthy. My blood sugar would go up every time I so much as walked up a flight of stairs & I was in all kinds of pain, but no dr. could find anything wrong with me. I never had any other diabetic symptom. No thirst, no urination, my eyes were great, my feet were fine, I didn't lose weight (I wish I had that symptom- although I didn't really NEED it- there is always that 5 pounds :)). My A1c was 11.9 and my bs was consistently over 350- sometimes as high as 550 or 600 but I had to stop working out because I was exhausted & worried about my bs. My previous endo & current GP kept telling me to keep working out because it was good for my heart & good for my cholesterol, blah blah blah. Finally, I went to an Endo that said... Uh, there isn't any insulin in your blood! In fact, there hasn't been any insulin coming out of your pancreas in any measurable quantity in awhile, so really, you should lie down & let us get you some insulin. ...
How did I survive with no insulin? Well, I guess for a little while I had some spurts of it out of my pancreas. Also, I think I am REALLY hyper efficient at using what little I have. My biggest saving grace is ***** at this point all of you guys might want to stop reading cause this is a girl thing****** that I am going through pre-menopause. It seems one of the symptoms of that is tons of menstrual flow & I had that hands down on and off (mostly on) for over 8 months. This was "flushing" the sugar out of my blood & replacing it as fast as my body could. Wow- all this time I was cursing up a storm & I probably would have been dead if it weren't for that!
Well, now I have been trying to get all this insulin stuff down pat so I can get back to my "regular" life- ha ha. I have tons of questions, but I am feeling generally better- although not as much as I would have expected. I look forward to reading this forum & learning from everyone who has gone before me :).

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello Melanie, welcome to our community! That is horrible that you went so long without a correct diagnosis. I can understand a GP making a wrong diagnosis but an endo should never make that kind of mistake. There are many diabetics with wrong diagnoses, I read about them a lot. You were so fortunate in getting things going well while waiting for insulin.

I have been Type 1 for 63 years and I am very healthy, with no complications at this time. I was diagnosed in 1945 when I was 6. There was very little known about diabetes back then. I did not know I was supposed to follow a low carb diet until the mid 1980's. Therefore I had very high blood sugar for most of that 40 years, but no complications occurred during that time. Some of us have a genetic sequence that prevents us from having complications even if we are running high blood sugar for an extended period of time. I am not saying you have this genetic sequence, but you might. I know you will not take any chances. You should be fine now that you are using insulin. I hope your new endo is having you use the basal/bolus control with two kinds of insulin. That will give you the best control. The only thing that is better is an insulin pump. I have been pumping for 27 months and I have the best control I have ever had.

Ask all the questions you want. We are here to help!

Richard

·
Registered
663 Posts
I would get a C-Peptide done as this will have an idea that if your body is producing insulin. You are exhausted because you are lacking energy that food can provide but food alone cannot be much of use if there is no insulin to make food to energy. See an Endo about it. ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcomes! I am on 2 types of insulin - basal & bolus. My endo checked my c-peptide- I don't remember what it was, but he said it showed my insulin level was pretty much none. My new drs are really nice & seem pretty on top of things- I ended up at the Mayo clinic up in MN; beautiful facility & nice people. My biggest concern is with exercising, so I will haunt the forum for info on that for awhile & see what wisdom I can glean. Thanks again!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Hello Melanie, Exercising is of some habit to get done as doing that with enjoyment. Also when you go and exercise is to see that sweets are in arms reach!!! So when you get a low, You can recover from it. There is a phenomenon that BG's rise as that's the liver doing it's job (When we don't want it to :rolleyes:)
I too on a basel bolus resheme and I just had a low, Not a serious one but caught it and now choping on some sweets. :eek:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts