The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found this webpage this morning. I don't have diabetes. I am a "Healthier Lifestyle Mentor Coordinator". Basically, I try and get chronically ill, frail-elderly and at-risk individuals to exercise and eat healthy. It turns out that most of my clients are diabetic. I wanted to take this time to see if those of you who actually have diabetes feel it is appropriate for me to participate in your website. I am always looking for better ways to guide my clients and the volunteers that work with them and figured who better to learn from than you.

Appreciate feedback either way. I want to learn of your successes and failures, but only if I am forthright and welcome.

One Love, In Peace,
Zach.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
There have been several medical people and even a couple of doctors who have posted on this site. They did not stay long but no one objected. One of them started posting about a supplement that would cure diabetes. He and all his posts disappeared immediately.

You are most welcome to read about our successes and failures. You may want to ask questions too. The masses need to be educated about diabetes. Maybe you can help spread some of the knowledge you gather here.

Richard

·
Registered
2 Posts
From a new member

I honestly feel that it is a privilege to join the forum. My diabetes type II is 22 yrs old and I am aged 61 yrs retired. As to my experience it is only due to urban life style, wrong dietary methods due to lack of awareness and more over the dominant stress factor has brought over this disease, sorry it is wrong to say it as a disease but it is only A DISORDER metabolic. I will be glad to share the experiences of other members and wish to contribute those things that might help others.
ThanQ.

·
Registered
7 Posts
welcome

I'm new, but I don't have any problems with sharing! What's it all about if we can't help as many people as possible? It's new to me, but my doctor said I'm doing EXCELLENT in controlling my diabetes. Maybe I'm doing the right things. Maybe I'm just lucky. But I'm grateful!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Appreciate your reply. As far as spreading the word, that is my hope. You seem to have pretty good success.
- Assuming you have worked consistantly to maintain control of your diabetes, what has been most important in keeping it in check?
- Were you motivated from the beginning or has it been an up and down battle?
Richard, thanks again, and look forward to further correspondance
There have been several medical people and even a couple of doctors who have posted on this site. They did not stay long but no one objected. One of them started posting about a supplement that would cure diabetes. He and all his posts disappeared immediately.

You are most welcome to read about our successes and failures. You may want to ask questions too. The masses need to be educated about diabetes. Maybe you can help spread some of the knowledge you gather here.

Richard

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I have been motivated all 63 years of my diabetic life but so little was known about diabetes back then. After I had been diabetic for 40 years I finally learned I was supposed to follow a low carb diet. About 10 years after that I learned about carb counting and I was using basal/bolus control for the first time. That, combined with very frequent testing, careful revord keeping, limiting myself to 130g of carbs per day and exercising daily has lead me to the control I have now. My pumping has also helped very much.

·
Registered
7 Posts
- I think the most important thing for me keeping it in check is exercise. And a close second is that if I start to slip in my diet I have to get back on track ASAP.

- I've been motivated from the beginning. I don't think the motivation has waned, but sometimes I find myself wanting to go into denial and not wanting to have to watch what I eat so closely. But it doesn't last long because I know this is real. If I let denial take a foothold, there could be dire consequences. But I try to focus on the good things that diabetes has brought into my life ... a reason to live a healthy lifestyle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was listening to a gentlman who had written a book about his struggles with weight gain and over eating. I feel he had a very similar approach once he got it under control. He said that he tried not to kid himself about what he could get away with. When he did slip in his diet, as we all do, he tried to make up for it in the gym.
I think I am going to take this back to one of clients who really experiences a roller coaster struggle. She feels really guilt sometimes when she doesn't adhear to her diet. I would love to see her channel that into constructive action.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. It really helps.
Zach.
- I think the most important thing for me keeping it in check is exercise. And a close second is that if I start to slip in my diet I have to get back on track ASAP.

- I've been motivated from the beginning. I don't think the motivation has waned, but sometimes I find myself wanting to go into denial and not wanting to have to watch what I eat so closely. But it doesn't last long because I know this is real. If I let denial take a foothold, there could be dire consequences. But I try to focus on the good things that diabetes has brought into my life ... a reason to live a healthy lifestyle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts