The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone~
I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes in 2007 at the age of 25 when I was hospitalized with a blood sugar of close to 900. Since I've had trouble keeping my a1c below 9%. Just thought it was time to be more proactive and start talking with other people who have the same problems as I do to try to get some new ideas that might help lower my a1c more consistently.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hello Everyone~
I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes in 2007 at the age of 25 when I was hospitalized with a blood sugar of close to 900. Since I've had trouble keeping my a1c below 9%. Just thought it was time to be more proactive and start talking with other people who have the same problems as I do to try to get some new ideas that might help lower my a1c more consistently.
Are you on insulin? Do you have a pump?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome aboard, lacrosse . . . what is your current treatment regimen? Because I'm a type 2 and not even insulin-dependent (yet), I'm a poor resource for you, but Richard will come by soon I'm sure, and he has waged a successful campaign against type 1 for the last 64 years. He is hale & hearty and free of complications. You are definitely taking the right course of action in becoming proactive with this - good luck, and again welcome. Thank you for joining us!

take care,

Hello Everyone~

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello Lacrosse. The things that I hve done to get my A1c below 6.0 include using carb counting to determine my insulin dosages, limiting portion sizes of all foods that tend to raise my blood sugar rapidly, totally avoiding certain foods, cutting my daily carb intake to 130g, andexercising every day. I havehad A1c's below 6.0 for several years. In 2007 I started pumping. That has also helped reduce the number of highs and lows I used to have. After 64 years of Type 1 I have no complications.

Ask any questions you want. I will help as much as I can.

Richard

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice Richard. My doctor set me up with a dietician earlier this week and I changed my diet drastically, haven't seen a blood sugar over 140 in the last 4 days.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts