The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:peep: Hi everyone
Just discovered the forum, and thought it might be nice to meet a few others - I don't think I know anyone else who has diabetes at the moment.

Gestational diabetes gave me four babies that averaged 10 lbs each. And then haemachromatosis apparently took me down the path to full blown type 2 D.

When I first started metformin, I felt so ill that I told the doctor I would rather die than keep taking it. He relented and prescribed Glucophage - same medication, but more expensive and didn't make me feel so ghastly.

Now I take 4 x 500 Diabex once a day. And a few months ago I started Lantus insulin - once a day.

The other day I came across Dr Barnard's book about diet to reverse diabetes. Well, I'm giving it a try, and I'm very hopeful. Only a couple of days so far, but the diet (vegan) is very manageable so I hope it works like it should. :D

I have never let my diabetes rule my life. The last six years I have been travelling, and working in China, Turkey, the UK, Saudi Arabia, and Australia.

I would be so pleased if I could roll back the big D, and forget about it. A small change in diet is no big deal.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome aboard, wickhamster! Best wishes going into your new diet lifestyle. Kudos for living a good life in spite of diabetes!

We all might like to be rid of our disorder, but be warned that this advertised "reversal" does not mean you'll be returning to your former eating habits some time in the future. There is no "reversing" of diabetes which allows such freedom. If Dr. Barnard's diet works for you, you'll be a vegan for life, because it is not a cure that returns you to your former non-diabetic state.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
:peep: Hi everyone
Just discovered the forum, and thought it might be nice to meet a few others - I don't think I know anyone else who has diabetes at the moment.

Gestational diabetes gave me four babies that averaged 10 lbs each. And then haemachromatosis apparently took me down the path to full blown type 2 D.

When I first started metformin, I felt so ill that I told the doctor I would rather die than keep taking it. He relented and prescribed Glucophage - same medication, but more expensive and didn't make me feel so ghastly.

Now I take 4 x 500 Diabex once a day. And a few months ago I started Lantus insulin - once a day.

The other day I came across Dr Barnard's book about diet to reverse diabetes. Well, I'm giving it a try, and I'm very hopeful. Only a couple of days so far, but the diet (vegan) is very manageable so I hope it works like it should. :D

I have never let my diabetes rule my life. The last six years I have been travelling, and working in China, Turkey, the UK, Saudi Arabia, and Australia.

I would be so pleased if I could roll back the big D, and forget about it. A small change in diet is no big deal.
Welcome to Diabetes Forum! There is a wealth of information on the site. Good luck with your vegan diet. Take care & hurry back.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts