The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. i just realized this site existed. Im happy to be able to "meet" other diabetics. I am a type 2 with extreme insulin resistance. I take 600 units of insulin daily, novorapid 100 units with each meal and 300 units of levemir at bedtime. Even with these huge amounts my blood sugars were in the teens. I recently started a ketogentic diet which has brought my sugar where it needs to be. I'm hoping that soon I may be able to start decreasing my insulin. Has anyone have any experience with this? I can't increase my exercise as I had a heart attack and stroke a year and a half ago and i am already doing what I can. I'm only 42 years old (A virus attacked my heart). I hope all of you are fine tonight. Thanks for listening!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Welcome aboard!

Diagnosed type 2 for 8 days now, so I'm a new addition as well.

Someone should be along soon to post a link to the information resource page.

I'm on the keto or low carb / high fat diet on recommendation of others here, and it is helping.

Hope you find some friendship and knowledge here!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hi Jayjoy and welcome to the forum! It sounds like you have had a pretty tough go of it but are well on your way now to getting better control. I can not give you any advice on the insulin as I am a type 2 that requires metformin only. I am sure some type 1's will be along soon to give you some great advice. I do believe following this lchf diet will really help you to gain control of your numbers though, Many here have lowered their insulin doses as well by following this way of eating.

You will meet a great bunch of people here that have a wealth of knowledge. Don't hesitate to ask any questions.

Judy

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Hello and :welcome: to the club none of us wanted to join.

For a great general, non technical, discussion of the issues we all have to face I don't think you can do much better than spending an hour or two exploring Blood Sugar 101.

To help tackling that insulin resistance, has your doctor prescribed any medication other than insulin? Metformin is usually the first line of attack but frequently, even more effective is simply reducing the carbohydrate content of your meals as discussed here - How to Lower Your Blood Sugar

I'm in the lucky position that my own personal food gendarme does all the hard work for me, so I haven't explored the recipe section of the forum as much as perhaps I should :eek: - but it's also worth a look - Diabetes Diet and Nutrition - The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online

The real cooks will be along in a minute or two with more ideas in that regard - stick with us and keep exploring the forum.

Again :welcome:

·
Super Moderator
9,660 Posts
Welcome jay joy,

Good advice already given and the links are well worth the read. Tell us about your diagnosis, advice and treatment given, what you eat, how much your recent diet change has helped. We are a nosey bunch, but with intent to have the best possible answer to any questions you may ask, and lots of questions are always welcome.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Stick with your diet and hopefully your insulin needs will decrease gradually as your body adjusts to low carb. Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to all of you. I am reading the sites you recommended. My sugars have been around tenmmol today. It is a little bit disappointing but I'm sticking to my lchf and hopefully my body will adjust. For the last year (before the diet) my sugars were running from the high teens to over 30mmols so it's definitely better!

·
Registered
801 Posts
Are you having any problems or challenges with going ketogenic or your insulin regime? I'm inferring from the way you stated "hopefully my body will adjust" that perhaps the transition has not been a smooth one.

It takes time for your body to recognise that the lower sugars are OK, and for your liver to stop dumping more glucose.

I'm a big believer in Metformin, which does not cause lows and helps with insulin resistance, and liver re-programming, you may want to talk to your Dr about that in order to help your body get used to the new program.

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
483 Posts
Welcome to the forum jayjoy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts