The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have been diagnosed with T2D in the spring of 2007 with my A1C at 6.2, simply by chnace while getting endo help for what they thought was Hashimoto. While reviewing my follow-up labs with the Dr., i noticed slightly elevated fasting glucose level (111), i asked if this was something to worry about, considering that my brother was diagnosed with T1D 2 months earlier ( so I was sensitive to the topic). Dr sent me for tolerance test, sure enough.......I was a diabetic!

I read tons of stuff on the net and refused drugs, asking Dr to let me low card diet and exercise. My A1C got to 5.2 within months. But i barely ate any carbs, exercised like crazy etc.

Now my stats are worse, (oscillating between 5.8 - 6.2), mostly cuz i work long hours and exercise less, 'cheat" every now and then and have a low sugar cake or something.

looking to go back to my routine , some fresh ideas etc.

Katherine:)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, no antibodies found. No other diabetics in the family neither. I was never obese, reasonably active, diagnosis came as a shock! Yet when I went back to my old labs- glucose too high since 1992!!!! No doctor caught it, I probably could have avoid full blown D! Oh well....
Another funny doctor fact- I was tested frequently after diagnosis & everyone concentrated on my T2D, I was also looking at TSH, antibodies were gone after my sugar normalized, I didn't have Hashimoto! Went off the meds but only after I pointed it out to my endo.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello & welcome, Katherine . . . that doc of yours should give you a big discount - you're the one who keeps drawing his attention to the trouble spots! :D

Good to have you join us - it's a great help to have moral support like this when we're trying to stay ahead of this cussed disease! Take care and visit us often!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Soy

Can someone fill me in on soy beans and soy products? I think I read in one of the treads that it's not good for D? I enjoy sesame tofu every now and then , and ginger /soy dressing. Should I abstain?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I've read that soy products aren't good for people with thyroid disease, but I don't have any solid evidence that says I should abstain. So occasionally I eat the same products you've mentioned in your post. I do take thyroid medication too and my doctor has never told me not to eat soy. But then, what does he know...right? :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lol, yeah what do they know. If they did there would be less of a need to have a forum like this, I guess.
I just find that all the things you love are no good for u and sometimes it is hard to really find something to put on your plate and feel confident and good about it. So I'm glad I joined, reading other people's experience with D stories makes u feel like u're not alone , it is helpful!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts