The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I was diagnosed with T1 at the age of 45. Actually I self diagnosed since it is rampant throughout my family and all the symptoms I was suffering screamed diabetes. I went from completely normal to T1 in at the speed of light or so it seemed. That was the day my life completely changed.

5 yrs later I am living with it day to day, hour to hour, meal to meal. I have learned how my body reacts, what foods are best, researched diet and continue to do so. Run, box, swim, weight train, generally do everything I can to help manage my sugar levels but like everyone, still have those days when it's Diabetes 1 / Me 0
I hate those days. I call them lost daze.

I get tired of the constant battle, the concern over every thing I eat, the guilt when I just need to taste ice cream again or pizza. But I believe support is crucial so I am pleased to have joined this forum and look forward to the shared experiences.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Hi and welcome!
I`m also quite new here. I also got type 1 age 45 year and it came right out of the blue.
This forum is great; lots of information and really nice helpful people.
For me it is a great help to live LCHF, and I love that I found this forum where I can "talk" with people who actually know how life with diabetes are.
Hope you will find the same support in here as I do!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, it is very important to find support and people who understand the many aspects of what we live with 24/7. I found this site quite by accident while surfing google for some information and am very pleased I did. Hope I find it as supportive and useful as yourself!
TJF

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello...your exercise routine sounds fantastic! Does that cause you to have hypos? How do you manage strenuous exercise without very low BG? Are you using two kinds of insulin, basal and bolus control? Do you use carb counting to determine your premeal insulin dosages?

I was diagnosed in 1945, when I was 6, and am very healthy. We can have long, healthy lives if we have good control.

Richard

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Strength and cardio training makes it necessary to monitor your levels during and after workouts. I have to stop sometimes and eat something in the middle of a session, preferring a granola bar or power bar for the carb/sugar content to keep me going. After I immediately eat a banana and drink a protein shake I make myself in order to be sure there is not too much sugar, however I then have to be sure to eat within 20 mins. I also need to have small meals more often on those days since my levels tend to stay low. But that's the goal. I also use Stevia as a sweetener since I try and avoid all the other manmade sweeteners so packed with chemicals and other dangerous ingredients and find it works just the same!

I have a friend who's father was one of the first test cases for insulin when he was 17 and lived into his 80's, a very healthy and active full life. He has passed since but natural causes but was a great source of inspiration for me. He is well missed by many!

He taught me to eat small amounts often throughout the day and to listen to my body. I am very conscious of my diet and focus on complex carbs, low fat proteins and tons of the right vegetables. So far so good! But I find stress is as lethal as sugar and carbs, in some cases even more so. My profession is high stress and that seems to be the hardest thing to manage. I have given up on control and focus on managing the disease, a much more attainable perspective!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello and welcome, TJF. It's good to see how well you're managing your diabetes. We have a good many type 1 folks here and I think you'll fit right in! Since I'm a non-insulin-dependent type 2, I'll just invite you to visit us often & take my leave! ;)

Take care & thank you for joining us!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts