Diabetes Forum banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the discussions? Click here!

New to the Forum

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Shanny 
Hello & welcome, BB . . . without my meter, I'd never have figured out a decent way-of-eating to keep blood sugar under control. But for the time being, I'm doing well eating very low carb and high fat (that's comparatively high fat, in view of the bogus "fat is bad!" campaign that's been foisted on us for the last 50 years.)

I don't count calories, and I don't even count carbs anymore - I just don't eat ANYTHING with significant carbs. I've replaced bread with some high fiber wraps and these literally astonishing crackers from our friend Optimist. I've replaced potatoes with turnips, which is a terrific swap & they don't taste turnip-y at all, not even in "potato" salad! Whatever I eat is either protein or fat, neither of which contains carbohydrate. What little carbs I get come from high-fiber vegetables like asparagus, artichoke hearts, broccoli, cauliflower, etc. My body may THINK it needs carbs, but in reality it is perfectly healthy without them.

I was prescribed metformin at the time of my diagnosis, and it has worked well for me for two years so far. There's no other oral drug I would consider taking, since everything else can cause stress to my already-stressed pancreas. If it gets to where I cannot keep my blood sugar within safe range, I'll request insulin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.