The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings. I am Darian, a 34 year-old Type 1.5 diagnosed earlier this year. I'm currenly on MDI with Lantus and NovoLog, and hope to be pumping by the end of next month.

I'm looking forward to getting to know you all. :)

Regards,

Darian

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hey There Darien:

Welcome! :) Sorry to hear that you were dxd. How do you feel about your control now? I'm on Lantus and Humalog and feel Good about my control. It's important to get your basal coverage correct since that is your foundation. You must be excited about getting on a pump. Which one have you decided to use?

Good Job on the quitting smoking. I hope that you're feeling the advantages of quitting. Interesting that you quit the same day as me only a different year. :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it is interesting about our quit days.

I have been doing so-so with my control. I just got my blood drawn for an A1c yesterday and have my next Endo visit to get my results in 2 weeks. I wish I could say I'm doing as good as I would like to be as an EMT, but sadly, I've gained a lot of weight. As a result of the weight, I have become quite insulin resistant. I am also going to discuss byetta with my Doc. The pharmacist also recommended it.

I'm kind of torn between the Animas 2020, the Cozmo and the OmniPod. I know the Paradigm's are nice, however I cannot afford the $1800 copay that I already know I'd have to pay... even if I did it in payments. The cost of gas is eating us alive.

Anyway, have a good one! :)

Regards,

Darian

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hey Darian: :)

Yes, the Animas 2020 and the Cozmo are both Good choices. I've noticed most People run across the occasional problems on the pumps but that has been with every type. Overall, they are a Good instrument for most.

It would be Good if you could find People in your area who have the same Reps from both companies that would be helping you. That is important. Also ask how the customer service is for both companies and about loaner pumps and consistency of overnight delivery. I'm sure that you know all that.

A pump would certainly be more necessary in your type of job which is honourable and much appreciated, btw.

I haven't had the desire or need yet to want a pump but I would choose the Omni because it has no tubing(I'd surely hang myself with the tubing :D . I hang myself occasionally with my music player and my headphones.) I like how the cannula inserts with a click after the Person has taped it on. Anyways, I'm sure that you've learned a lot about hiding the tubing so that it won't get caught on things or bother you when you are sleeping. Many Good ideas out there.

I wouldn't want the Omni right now though since too many People are having problems with the sensors. As you know, it takes several years for a better design of the machine and working accessories to become available. Normally, once the company has a list of all of the complaints and suggestions for the pump then they go ahead with the manufacturing of the improved machines.

Ha! I remember a Guy in our town got his first pump many, many years ago. It was the size of a brick and weighed about as much. He has a newer version now. :D

So many Diabetics have Insulin-resistance. Although I don't have it, I can imagine it being one royal problem alright. When I was on higher doses of Prednisone I required 90 units of Insulin just to stay in the reasonable area. Normally, I take 35-40 units daily.

It's Good that they came out with Byetta. At least it gives a Person a chance to lose some of the unwanted weight. Then with the weight-loss of course, the Insulin-resistance goes way down also. I really hope that you do Well on it. I wonder if acupuncture would work for Insulin-resistance also. That therapy seems useful for many problems caused by diseases.

Ackk!! Don't get me going on the cost of gas. I noticed that yours is a bit over $4.00 in most areas. Ours is between $1.27-$1.34 a litre(4.5 litres to 1 gallon). So you have nothing to complain about. :D Thankfully, we ride the motorcycle during the acceptable to Good weather so it saves quite a bit since it doesn't use much gas. So many People are buying the scooters. They have problems keeping them in stock.

Sorry for talking your ear off Darian. I wish you a Good A1c number. Keep us updated please. Thanks. You have a Good one also. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts