The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hello all. Diabetes is new to me found out yesterday I have type 2. There is a lot to deal with.
Hello and welcome to the forum! There is a lot to be learned on here. Read what interests you. If you can't find something, use the white search box on the forum page. I hope that you have the time to visit often and take care!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome, Taz. Tell us more about yourself & how you've been advised in managing this new hitchhiker. We'll help you navigate the maze that is controlling blood sugars.

G

·
welcome Taz :) it's sure a lot to deal with at first and it's certainly a journey. You've come to the right place for some virtual support and info. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
It is a lot to deal with at first. The best thing to understand is that this is a very manageable disease. So all the horror stories don't have to happen if you get control over bgs. Read through the different threads and see lots of success stories. Another good site that helped me is Blood Sugar 101

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm new here

I think I may have diabetes. This morning I tested my blood sugar and it was 281. Both sides of the family have it. I'm 44. I'm unemployed and no medical coverage. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Find a free clinic, Spacegoddess, and get a diagnosis. I was diagnosed at a free clinic & that included all the lab tests & everything. I'm sure Denver has 'em - NeedyMeds (this link is for all of Colo., so scroll down to find Denver)

Did you test this morning before or after you ate breakfast?

And yes, Atkins is a good diet for people with diabetes.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I agree with Shanny, find a free clinic that will dx you and put you on meds. Diet is important but most of us need medication to bring bgs down. Any low carb diet will work. Also exercise is good as long as your bgs aren't over 250 when you start. You could become dehydrated very quickly. This is why it is important to be under a doctors care.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Find a free clinic, Spacegoddess, and get a diagnosis. I was diagnosed at a free clinic & that included all the lab tests & everything. I'm sure Denver has 'em - NeedyMeds (this link is for all of Colo., so scroll down to find Denver)

Did you test this morning before or after you ate breakfast?

And yes, Atkins is a good diet for people with diabetes.
I woke up and meter said Lo, I tested the meter, it was fine. I ate a pixie stick and retested, then it was 281.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I use a free clinic and the free hospital system they have here. They also supply all my meds and testing supplies at no cost. If it weren't for them I wouldn't be getting the treatment I need.

I think I may have diabetes. This morning I tested my blood sugar and it was 281. Both sides of the family have it. I'm 44. I'm unemployed and no medical coverage. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you all. Have started to change diet and taking meds and blood sugar is 280's down from 358. Only the fourth day.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
You want to go out and buy glucose tablets. If you are low take one or two. You only want to raise your bg so it hits 85-90. If you eat too much candy you will get a roller coaster effect.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Welcome, Sandra!

Hi I 'm sandra (sandy ) steffensen. I was told that I had diebetics in 2002. A lot has chanced since then.
Ummmm ... Hi, Sandra!

Somehow your post came up under my name. Technology. Gotta love it! ;)

You'll find a lot of info and support here. Looking forward to getting better acquainted!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts