The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I just found out that I am a diabetic. New to me but both parents so I guess it was coming. Now I am trying to learn how to be healthy and eat the right things. I have been checking out the site and it's very interesting and informative.

Up to the challenge...

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Good to hear you're ready to take on this new challenge! We're here to help! Thanks for joining us, Lexy . . . always good to meet new friends!

Take care & visit often!

:welcome:

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hi everyone!

I just found out that I am a diabetic. New to me but both parents so I guess it was coming. Now I am trying to learn how to be healthy and eat the right things. I have been checking out the site and it's very interesting and informative.

Up to the challenge...
Hello and welcome to the forum! There is a wealth of infomation on the forum, so read what interests you. If you can't find something, do a search by going to the white box on the forum page. I hope that you will tell us more about yourself and how you manage your diabetes. I hope you can visit often and take care!

G

·
welcome Lexy :) there's probably a lot you're trying to take in right now if you're newly diagnosed. Are you type 1 or 2? How are you managing your diabetes? I'm sure you'll find this forum a great place for support and info. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Welcome Lexy! Great to have you join us! Tell us a bit more about yourself :)

- Jeremy

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Welcome, fellow newbie!

So much to take in, no? Sorry you had to find us, but since you did, this is a great place to be.

Please let us know more when you get your bearings, or have questions. You'll find great answers here.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
:welcome: and a big HOWDY from me :D

·
Registered
83 Posts
Just wanted to say, Hi and Welcome! So, Hi Lexy! :wave:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to all for the welcome. Been doing some research and see that diabetes is much more intensive than I thought.

I am 46 and I plan be around for a long time so I signed for some diabetes nutrition courses. Easing into exercise... Just looking to do the right things for me...

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Hi Lexy, welcome to our club. Diabetes is very serious but it is very manageable. I've only been D for 4 years and have lowered my HbA1c almost 5 points to a normal range. I eat low carb but I eat very well. I love to cook and bake and diabetes hasn't changed that. I just do it with low carb ingredients to replace flour and sugar. There are great recipes in the forum and tons of online recipe sites that give me ideas. I think the best thing I learned on these forums is "Eating to your Meter". Use your meter after meals to find what food works best for you. If something spikes you very high put it on your avoid or eat seldom list. This is the way you find D friendly food that works for you. As diabetics we are all different. Be aware that lots of Diabetes education classes will stress much higher carb diets that spike many of us. So make sure you test, everything. As far as exercise I find a daily walk works best. You can start out with a walk around the block and little by little add some distance or some intervals. Days I do a lot of housework or yardwork, I count that as my exercise.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
jwags said:
Hi Lexy, welcome to our club. Diabetes is very serious but it is very manageable. I've only been D for 4 years and have lowered my HbA1c almost 5 points to a normal range. I eat low carb but I eat very well. I love to cook and bake and diabetes hasn't changed that. I just do it with low carb ingredients to replace flour and sugar. There are great recipes in the forum and tons of online recipe sites that give me ideas. I think the best thing I learned on these forums is "Eating to your Meter". Use your meter after meals to find what food works best for you. If something spikes you very high put it on your avoid or eat seldom list. This is the way you find D friendly food that works for you. As diabetics we are all different. Be aware that lots of Diabetes education classes will stress much higher carb diets that spike many of us. So make sure you test, everything. As far as exercise I find a daily walk works best. You can start out with a walk around the block and little by little add some distance or some intervals. Days I do a lot of housework or yardwork, I count that as my exercise.
Thank you for the information. I am incorporating some of things mentioned like eating low carbs and walking. The crazy thing is I did that 2 years ago and stopped. So with the weather improving I can do more. I realize it is one well thought out choice after another.

·
Registered
219 Posts
lexy5 said:
I realize it is one well thought out choice after another.
Well said! I love that!

- Jeremy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts