The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! My name is Crystal. I was diagnosed with Type 1 on May 21,2011.

I have been running the gamut of emotions since then, all while trying to get a handle on my daily routine of checking my bgl, taking insulin, guessing at what is ok to eat given I have yet to learn how to count carbs and my doctor wants me to hold off on it for awhile.

I am so happy to have found support online with people of all different backgrounds and experience.

I look forward to diving right on in to the convos!

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Welcome to the forums, Miss Crystal! Once you're done throwing the pillows at the cat (we'll just hide behind the dresser till you're done, if you don't mind), we'll be happy to get to know you. ;)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the welcome!

Lol @hiding while I throw pillows

I thank whatever gods may be For my unconquerable soul.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Welcome! This site is really good when your new. We can answer any questions you have. I was only diagnosed 5 months ago. I promise it will get alot easier soon

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Welcome, Miss Crystal! :welcome:

Oh, those early days are harsh. Glad you found us! You'll find a lot of info (e.g., diet, recipes, carb-counting) and support here.

For specific info, please post us and/or use the Search box at the top-right of the screen.

One Word Of Caution: Certain cats will learn to throw pillows back!

Please visit often, and keep us posted. :D

·
Registered
90 Posts
You can NEVER win with cats :) I have 2....

One hates everyone in our family and one is absolutely insane!

Welcome Miss Crysatal!!

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hi Crystal - welcome. That T1 diagnosis is a real knock upside the head, isn't it.

I've found, as have many others, that reducing or eliminating starchy carbs like rice, potatoes, grains and pasta makes using insulin more predictable and allows you to use smaller doses. Fruit can be tough too, although berries have a ton of fiber, taste good and are easy on the blood sugar. If you work with a dietician this recommendation may be pooh-poohed; You may be told you have to eat 45 to 60 grams of carb per meal, and additional carbs with snacks - this is not necessarily so. Since diabetes will be your lifelong companion, you may have to chart your own course when it comes to food - your meter will tell you what works and what doesn't. Mine's my best friend! Check out the Diet section here (in particular "Recipes") for fantastic low(er) carb food recommendations. Also, don't think you have to go out and buy a bunch of "diabetic diet" cookbooks - you can modify almost any recipe in books you already have.

Finally, just so you have a handle on how insulin therapy works, let me recommend two stellar reference books: Think Like a Pancreas by Gary Scheiner and Using Insulin by John Walsh. Read these while you and your doctor are establishing your regimen. They'll let you ask informed questions and enable you to make independent decisions when you're ready.

Best,
Jen

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the great suggestions Jen! I have ordered the two recommended books from the library

·
Registered
633 Posts
You just need to pick up a copy of Calorie King and see how many carbs you are eating at meals. Now as far as foods that you should not eat, well they don't exist. You can eat what ever you want as long as you dose your insulin properly to cover it. It is that simple yet so complex.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hi Crystal, welcome aboard! I can see you have a lot of spunk and a sense of humor. i have that too and it has helped me a lot! I was diagnosed in 1945, when I was 6, and am very healthy. With good control, we can have long, healthy lives.

Richard

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the welcome Richard!

I'm really enjoying myself here and learning way more than any doctor or book could teach me.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
:welcome: to the forums Miss Crystal!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts