The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saying hello... here to read, learn, and share trynna get myself healthy and willing to help others do the same.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Welcome to the forums, Juicy! Hope you enjoy your time here. We are a friendly bunch although Moon steals (borrows long term) nuts and some others have a thing about cats. You'll understand soon enough. :)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello & welcome, Juicy. Lots of experience, knowledge & wisdom wrapped up in these threads, and only a little monkey business . . .

Sure glad to have you with us. I hope you can visit often & tell us more about yourself & how you manage your diabetes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I've been pre-diabetic my whole life but was just officially diagnosed this past winter and without insurance its tough to get medicine, so in the mean time I've been trynna watch what I eat and exercise more. I just turned 30 and it came with lots of stress and tho I'm born and raised in NY, I'm moving to NH this coming Saturday.
I don't have a ton of time to be on here with the upcoming move and then the job hunt, but I'll try to keep active in convos. I LOVE animals and have 5 of them.
Can anyone tell me how to add a picture to my profile, I have a Droid2 on Verizon if that matters.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Sorry I can't help about the picture. Haven't figured that out either!

What was your number when diagnosed? That will help us help you. I'm managing without meds, just lots of testing works for me. I lost 50 lbs this last year and now I'm keeping my number low by eating about 30 carbs a day. I'm limited on exercise by severe arthritis, but you have a real advantage at your age to get a lot and that's really helpful. You should be able to get a lot with your move...fun stuff!

Anyway, welcome and tell us more about yourself. The only dumb question is the one not asked, so don't be afraid to ask anything at all. There is a lot of wisdom in this group.

Are you testing your blood glucose several times a day? If you are limited in funds for it, Wal-Mart has a good Relion brand which is the cheapest I've found for strips. I use it all the time with good success.

Keep comin' back as they say!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Can anyone tell me how to add a picture to my profile, I have a Droid2 on Verizon if that matters.
After you get a few more posts, all the perks will be available to you . . . prob'ly 4 or 5 more posts. :)

Good to have you with us & good luck getting moved smoothly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks... I honestly don't recall the number the doctor said, I was so terrified of what he said I blocked out the whole convo, I know he said it was more then 5 times the limit of what it should be and he was shocked that I wasn't in a diabetic coma or having other severe side effects... I have not been testing my levels either as I was just so scared and money is sooo tight. Obviously moving 5 hours away will mean getting a new job and hopefully it will have benefits and I can get some medical help and nip this in the bud. Diabetes runs in my family like water down the Nile, my grandmother was one of 11 siblings and there is only one of her brothers left, we lost the rest of them to diabetes related issues. Damn bread and pasta. I blame it on my 95% italian background.
I have been trying to eat healthier and exercise and just lower my stress and I feel if I could loose some weight in a healthy way, that hopefully my diabetes will begin to turn itself around and put me in the right directions before I go nuts pricking my fingers and taking meds and visiting the doctors who seem to have one goal (give me bad news).
I must get back to packing and I promised my fur babies some treats for being so good while I cleaned their room today.
If anybody wants to get to know me better you can friend request me on facebook.... I'm Amanda Couture from Westchester NY.
I hope everyone is having a good day and not to overwhelmed by this miserable heat (at least here in NY its brutal out).

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
It'll be better in NH, Amanda . . . here's hoping anyhow! One of these days when you get settled, you gotta tell us about your furbabies. Most of us here are owned by a furball of some sort! :D

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
Hey Juicy - welcome to the forum.

Since your family has lost so many to diabetes, you know how important control is. There are ways to make serious progress without spending a lot of money (relatively speaking of course), and diet of course tops the list. It's not just pasta and potatoes that are killers for us, but grains, fruit, corn too.

Testing is crucial, and with being told your numbers were so high, personally I'd prioritize getting a meter and test strips. You can get a ReliOn meter at Walmart for something like $9 - and test strips run 50-cents each. Waiting for your move, to get a job, etc - is kicking the can down the road too long. You're worth more than that :)

I also was diagnosed with high numbers, and I wish I had known sooner because every day my numbers were high I was doing damage to my body. It's not worth putting diabetes on the backburner - no matter how busy or broke we are. Even if you can only afford to test 2x/day - that's 2x more than nothing, and at least will give you a rough indication if you're on the right track with changes.

It's a lot to take in I know - esp when you're crazy busy and life has you otherwise engaged!

Glad you found us - glad you're here :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I 'm a new member going by the name of "Possum". I have recently been diagnosied as Type 2 diabetic, and I am managing the condition with diet and exercise so far. I am interested in learning ways of keeping my condition under control.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Possum - Extension of intro. I am 74 tears old and as I aid in my intro I am managin

Hi, I 'm a new member going by the name of "Possum". This is to extend my very brief intro last night. I have recently been diagnosied as Type 2 diabetic, and I am managing the condition with diet and exercise so far. I am interested in learning ways of keeping my condition under control. In Australia the HbA1C is measured using same terminology as the US i.e. in percentages - my HbA1c yesterday was 6.1 However our blood sugar analysis uses a different metric measure from the US so it is diffuclt to compare. My inital fasting bsg was 6.1 but diagnostic glucose tolerance test was 19 which put me in Diabetic T2 range. If anyone can give me a formula to translate betwen US and Australian measurement, I would be grateful.

Has anybody else looked at the effect/correlation of hypertensive drugs on beoming diabetic? I found a link accidently before I had Glucose Tolerance test which warned that BP medication hydrochrolizide could skew results. I followed the trail and found many research based studies on medical school library website which said BP medication made up of Hydrochlorize should not be given to people over 65. I had taken it for over 10 years. Apparently it interfers with insulin receptors to pancreas.

I have lost 10 kgs since being diagnosed in November last year - mainly through not using salt (use curry powder); or sugar (use a little honey on coffee); no cakes or biscuits (cookies in your lingo), Was never overweight until I retired at 65.

Like many other members of this forum I use cinnamon, chromium, alpha Lipoec, Vitamins E,C, and B, fish oil. and a multi vitamin. All of this from the time of my diagnosis.

I have strange typing sometimes - seem now to have all the letters in a word but rearranged - my right had does not move as quickly as my left.

re and
I QUOTE]

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi Possum

Hi, I 'm a new member going by the name of "Possum". I have recently been diagnosied as Type 2 diabetic, and I am managing the condition with diet and exercise so far. I am interested in learning ways of keeping my condition under control.
Hi Possum and welcome:D. It's good to have you here with us and I'm sure you will be able to pick up some useful information as well as make some good friends along the way.

Gene

1 - 14 of 14 Posts