The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Just diagnosed two days ago. I'm 42 with a hypertension. My Dr. has been monitoring my bloodwork on a yearly basis. I've always had a fasting glucose of below 110 (usually in the 90s), and an A1C of about 5.

Had a kidney stone on March 9th. While at the hospital, bloodwork was done, and the BG came back at 325. I had eaten oatmeal and a poptart about 2 hours before. Dr. suggested follow-up with my regular Dr. which led to more fasting BG (149) and an A1C of 7.4

He made the diagnosis of Type II on Thursday, picked up a monitor (WaveSense Presto) yesterday, and have begun my education on Type II.

I have to admit, I have had years of unhealthy eating, and my exercise has compensated for that. Fast food for almost all of my meals over the last 20 years. Now I have to reap what I've sowed.

My challenges will be to learn to eat healthy, not under-eat (which I have done in the past to lose weight quickly) and eat the right things at the right times.

I am looking forward to the advice and support that this group can provide. :)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome aboard, agape. There's much experience, knowledge & wisdom distributed among the members of this forum, so anything you want to know, just ask! :) We're glad to meet you & hope you can visit often!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hello all,

Just diagnosed two days ago. I'm 42 with a hypertension. My Dr. has been monitoring my bloodwork on a yearly basis. I've always had a fasting glucose of below 110 (usually in the 90s), and an A1C of about 5.

Had a kidney stone on March 9th. While at the hospital, bloodwork was done, and the BG came back at 325. I had eaten oatmeal and a poptart about 2 hours before. Dr. suggested follow-up with my regular Dr. which led to more fasting BG (149) and an A1C of 7.4

He made the diagnosis of Type II on Thursday, picked up a monitor (WaveSense Presto) yesterday, and have begun my education on Type II.

I have to admit, I have had years of unhealthy eating, and my exercise has compensated for that. Fast food for almost all of my meals over the last 20 years. Now I have to reap what I've sowed.

My challenges will be to learn to eat healthy, not under-eat (which I have done in the past to lose weight quickly) and eat the right things at the right times.

I am looking forward to the advice and support that this group can provide. :)
Hello and welcome to the forum! You are a real newbie! There is a lot of information to be found on here, read what interests you. I hope you have the time to visit often and take care!

O

·
0 Posts
welcome Agape :) being newly diagnosed you'll have a lot to take in and learn. Just keep up a positive attitude which is what makes the difference. There's lots of support and experience on this forum. Look forward to hearing your experiences.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to DF. I think when we were all dx'd, even those of us who thought we ate healthy had to discover different ways to eat. Now, as a diabetic I know my D body doesn't metabolise processed carbs very well. So I have elimintated them. Even things like oatmeal and fruit are very problematic for a lot of us. Use your meter 2 hours after meals and try to keep numbers 120-140 or below. This way you can find many safe meals that are good for your body. I still eat tons of calories, just not carbs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everybody. I haven't seen a dietitian yet, so learning what to eat 'on the fly' is turning into a challenge. Hopefully I'll pick up some tips from this group!

·
Registered
165 Posts
welcome to the site! let us know what questions you have

·
Registered
203 Posts
Welcome!

It is great that you found the forum, and that you decided to make this a place where you can get some support in order to deal with you newly found disease! Diabetes is not a fun thing, but it is something you can stay well ahead of with exercise, good diet practices, and a positive attitude. That is what the forum is all about, so you will never feel like you are the only person in the world with diabetes. There are a great number of folks with the same disease as you, and we have crossed the same bridges that you are approaching, so always keep us in mind, and never forget you have people here who care!

Pastor Paul :amen:

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Thanks everybody. I haven't seen a dietitian yet, so learning what to eat 'on the fly' is turning into a challenge. Hopefully I'll pick up some tips from this group!
:welcome: from me also! I'm fairly new, just under 2 months officially diagnosed so far.

Regarding the dietitian ... if he/she is like mine, they may actually give you BAD advice regarding carb intake and blood glucose targets. You're going to be trying to get as close to normal as you can. Anything ABOVE 140 mg/dl (7.8mmol/L) is unhealthy, even as a post-meal reading.

Read up on what's written at blood sugar 101 (an oft-quoted great source). That site links you to some excellent sources of information regarding blood glucose.

My favorite links there for newbies are 'Healthy Blood Sugar Targets' and 'How to Lower Your Blood Sugar'

There's also great information, recipes and support here from some great folks!

Good luck!

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
From one newly-dx'ed diabetic (still seems weird calling myself that) to another: welcome!

I've learned so much already - this place is invaluable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts