The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been recently diagnosed with high B G levels.I accidentally found this out when I did a routine check with the sugar meter used by my wife.
My doctor did a A1 test and it was around 8.5 which I believe is high.
I have been put on metformin 500 one tablet in the morning.

Now i am doing everything a new diabetic has to do I walk 2Km in the mornings. I am on a low carb diet.Play Badminton in the evenings.etc

My average BG levels during the day are about 135/140. Some times less.

However My BG levels shoot up after dinner to about 250 and comes down to normal in morning when i wake up.This happens almost every day although what i eat for dinner is low carb food etc

How is this to be explained???????????????????????????

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Your diabetic
Your pancreas cant make enough insulin to take care of your BG.

BG comes from carb, ALL carbs raise BG and your pancreas makes insulin to use the BG. If you are insulin resistant (most T2's are) your pancreas need to make a LOT of insulin to get the BG down, and it cant make enough insulin so your BG stays high.

What do you call low carb?
I call low carb under 20 gr of carbs for the meal.

carbs are: Rice,bread,potatoes,pasta,....

you could be a budding T1?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bread/pasta are out of my diet. I take very little brown rice.
I have tried the same meal for breakfast and dinner. Bg levels are normal after breakfast and during the day but spikes after dinner. I play badminton about 4/5PM followed by some skipping, running till about 6.00 which brings the Bg levels by about 20mg/dl I have dinner at 8.30.
Could this be due to the exercises??????????????????????????????????????????????

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
brown rice is still carby.

But exercise lowers BG unless you exercise hard enough that your body thinks your in fight and flight mode, then it lets loose with a shot of BG to make sure your muscles have the energy to get you out of trouble. try ending your workouts with a 20 or 30 minute walk. Maybe instead of 1/4 of the run.

·
Registered
204 Posts
................However My BG levels shoot up after dinner to about 250 and comes down to normal in morning when i wake up.This happens almost every day although what i eat for dinner is low carb food etc

How is this to be explained???????????????????????????
Hi and welcome! I have many cricketer friends in Sri Lanka.

250 is way too high! Why not tell us what you are eating for dinner and maybe people might be able to offer advice as to what is causing the problem.

Best wishes - John

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tks for the reply
Last evening I went slow on my evening exercises which is generally vigourous like fast running/skipping etc.I ate one chappathy made from whole grain wheat,boiled grams,and one cup of milk for dinner at 9pm. BG after 2 hours was 210 This was about 270 the previous day with vigourous exercising. BG at 6.30 AM was 130.That is today.After a slow walk this morning for 2 minutes BG came down to 115 which is the lowest for the last ten days or so.
rgds pl advise

·
Registered
204 Posts
............I ate one chappathy made from whole grain wheat,boiled grams,and one cup of milk for dinner at 9pm. BG after 2 hours was 210.............
Sounds like it's the chappathy that is causing your high readings!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Milk 12 carbs/cup

chappathy bread 24 carbs/ slice

so ~36gr of carbs that would bring me over 200 also

All carbs raise BG

carbs from rice
carbs from wheat
carbs from potatoes
carbs from fruit

the question is how many carbs can your system handle before your BG goes up.

sounds like 36 is too many.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome, K.T. It looks to me like you're still taking in a lot of carbs. The chappathy and milk are both common offenders, and anything containing grain of any kind can raise your blood sugar. So until you can figure out exactly how each food affects you, best to avoid foods make with wheat, oats, rice - and other common grains.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
tks for the advice
I realize I shoud cut down on my carbs.
but how to calculate the carbs per food and total carb requirement per day
rgds

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
tks for the advice
I realize I shoud cut down on my carbs.
but how to calculate the carbs per food and total carb requirement per day
rgds
A good carb counter booklet for regional cuisine will help you learn the carb content of many common foods.

Plus, you can eat to your meter, which is accomplished by testing before you eat, recording what and how much you eat, and testing again an hour after the first bite. If your bg goes above 140, then the meal was too carby, and you'll need to restrict or avoid some of the carbs you had with that meal. Using this method for a few weeks, you'll get a picture of which foods you tolerate, and which ones you're wise to avoid. It's easier for me to just not eat the ones that send me over 140, but many people have more self-discipline than I, and can restrict by portion control, so if you can eat a small enough amount that you don't go over 140 - go ahead on. ;)

·
Registered
204 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Chappathys dont work for me. I ve stopped them completely.Brown rice in small quantities along with channa dhal and vegetables is okay.Dishes made with broken wheat has helped.

Ive come a long way since I came to this forum.My fasting BG has come down to 100 or thereabouts from 140/150 range.My BG after two hours of meals is around 120
My only worry is that ONe hour PP some times gets to 170/180 range and on which I am working. I have become a vegetarian since the last two years and hence dont take eggs/fish/meat. which I thing is a disadvantage for a diabetic

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hi again,

It sounds as though you are getting to grips with things. Just keep working at trying to work out what causes the higher readings and try to get them lower next time. It's all a gradual process. Just keep moving in the right direction.

I agree that it is more difficult for a vegetarian but it is still very possible. I went almost vegan for the first nine months of my improvement programme. However, I've moved back away from that these days - in fact, the main foods for me these days are meat, fish and dairy - with a lot of vegetables and fruit.

Best wishes - John

1 - 15 of 15 Posts