The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm Jamie. I decided to join this forum because I have been having blood sugars in the pre-diabetic range, but they aren't showing up on blood tests and I've had difficulty getting a diagnosis.

My fasting blood sugar is usually in the 110-130 range and for whatever reason my fasting blood sugar showed up as 81 on the recent blood test I had. I haven't been feeling like myself for most of the summer and it's gotten to where I barely get any sleep because I wake up thirsty and drink water half the night, and during the day I have bad headaches and can't go an hour without having to use the restroom. I have a family history of Type 1, so I'm not sure if this is some sort of a slow onset of it like LADA or if I'm in the early stages of Type 2.

I'm open to any input you may have, and any advice on how to manage this.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Jamie,

Your fasting numbers appear to be on the high side but we can't say more than that. The 81 that your recent test returned on the other hand is fine as you recognise.

You may find it useful to think in terms of a way of eating that reduces the level of carbohydrates that you take on board. I suggest you explore LCHF for Beginners - DietDoctor.com

The other change you might want to consider is to stop focusing on your fasting figures. If you follow a routine that we describe as Eat to the Meter you will see the impact that your meals are having. Post meal, you are looking for the numbers to remain firmly below 140 at any time and ideally two hours after your meal, you want to see a figure below 120. Track your blood glucose this way for a week or so and if you find you're not meeting this standard, discuss the issue again with your doctor and show him the data.

Explore Blood Sugar 101 for more complete information and in particular look at How to Lower Your Blood Sugar for a good control strategy.

·
Premium Member
9,422 Posts
I have a family history of Type 1, so I'm not sure if this is some sort of a slow onset of it like LADA or if I'm in the early stages of Type 2.
Next time you see your doctor, you might ask for (insist) on having a GAD Antibodies test run. If you have antibodies, you're T1. If not, you're T2. It is important to know, even this early on, and especially since you are currently showing symptoms of diabetes.

The good news is that the way of eating called low-carb/high-fat LCHF(see the link John gave you) will be of benefit for you whatever type you are. Since it is carbohydrates that cause a rise in blood sugar, it makes sense to drastically reduce that food group from one's menus. In order to not be starving, one has to increase one of the other food groups (protein or fat). Fat is the better choice because some of a surplus of protein will eventually get stored in the liver as glycogen and later changed to glucose and dumped into the bloodstream (not a good idea for a diabetic).

I hope you stick around, read a lot of the threads and the links, and ask any questions you might have. The members here, whether T2 or T1, are determined to keep their BG as near normal as possible in order to avoid diabetes complications. You'll be in good company.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts