The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24,406 Posts
Hello and welcome, Bridget. Congratulations on controlling your diabetes - the weight loss, the exercise & cutting carbs - and that A1c! Do you have trouble with lows at all?

We try to provide the warmth, care & encouragement here that are often unobtainable in our home environment. Even when people want to understand & help, it's really difficult for them to imagine how we must manage.

I'm really glad you found this forum, and I'm really sorry for the bullying you've suffered at the hands of an ignorant abusive woman.

Thank you for joining us!

:welcome:

·
Registered
24,406 Posts
Whatever your numbers are on the lipids panel (cholesterol, etc.), they're not directly the result of the dietary fat you eat. Only 20% of the body's cholesterol is from dietary intake - all the rest is manufactured by the body itself. When you cut the carbohydrate from your diet, it improves your lipid levels as well as your blood sugar levels. Cheese is one of the saving graces of a low carb diet, and shouldn't be avoided due to the fat content. If you were able to get a copy of your test results, we might be able to help you understand the breakdown into the various components of the profile.

It surely isn't illegal in Scotland to own a glucose monitor, so my suggestion is to go get one anyhow, and start checking your blood sugar. With an A1c like yours, and still the high glucose tolerance result, you need to know the fluctuation in your levels that encompass these seemingly contradictory numbers.

In my opinion, you've struck an excellent regimen with cutting carbs and your swimming - that's the best total body exercise you could possibly do!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.