The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I'm a 31 year old female and I was just diagnosed this week with type 2 diabetes. I'm scared, angry, and mournful (because life now has to be completely different and there's nothing I can do to change that.) I was having some issues with infections that wouldn't go away so, my mother being diabetic and having a glucometer, I decided last weekend to test my sugar to see if there was anything wrong. I tested 4 times over the course of 2 days and it ranged between 250 and 340. So, I've been through my first couple doctors appointments, fasting bloodwork and such. He told me he'll be starting me on metformin and something for my bloodpressure tomorrow. I'm nervous and overwhelmed. I'm scared to death to eat anything. When I went in for my fasting bloodwork I was at 265 so they couldn't give me the glucose tolerance test. But if my blood sugar is that high after fasting for 12 hrs how can I eat anything? even if it's sugarless, carbless, etc. (plus I have absolutely no idea how to eat properly anyway) So, I'm reading all your wonderful posts which is really helping me get a better feel for how to manage this disease but I would very much appreciate any suggestions from those who have "been there, done that" on what can help me through these first few weeks/ months and maybe even what to expect when starting metformin, if anyone has or is taking this drug. Thanks and be blessed :)

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum. If you've poked around the site much, you've seen reference to Blood Sugar 101 . It is a great place to begin one's education about diabetes.

Being afraid to eat after being dx'ed is classic! I was there too - it's tough rummaging around in the frig in the proverbial dark.

For now just reduce carbs as much as you can, i.e. no bread, potatoes, fruit, cereal, grains, rice, wheat (redundant, but ...) and eat plenty of good fats (anything not processed, including avocados, nuts, olive oil, fatty meats like bacon and sausage), cheese, non-starchy veggies, cream (milk is a carb, avoid), sour cream... that's a start and can keep you busy :) Check out the recipe section - we've some gems in there.

As for the metformin, ask for the extended release version. It is gentler on the gastrointestinal system. Even so, you could have some side effects (I did, and they took months to go away but I can tolerate it now and the wait was worth it).

Most importantly, things will get easier and become intuitive - it's just a learning curve like anything else. Life doesn't end. Food is still delicious. And good health awaits :)

Reactions: Shanny and Dura

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Welcome to the forum and the big D

Your diabetic, that means your pancreas no longer controls your Blood Sugar Levels BG, So…You need to control your BG.

It can be done
your TOOLS

Pills and or insulin
exercise
Food

Read the Nutrition labels on food packages.
you are interested in the TOTAL Carbohydrates.
get to know the Glycemic index of foods.
http://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm

Food
All foods with carbohydrates (carbs) Raises BG
especially fast acting carbs are
almost anything white. White bread, potato, rice, sugar, pasta, corn (corn meal, corn flower, corn chips tacos…)
eating a bowl of mashed potato is worse for your BG than eating bowl of sugar. Your body metabolizes potato faster than sugar

Protein, fiber and fat
slows down the rise of BG.

meds (pills and insulin)
lower BS

exercise
lowers BSL

Basically those are the tools you have, use them well and you will have a long Happy life.

To learn HOW THIS ALL AFFECTS YOU… test you BG before you eat, test 1 hour after you eat, this gives you your BG spike for the food. Test 2 hours after you eat your BG should be going down. test before exercise test after exercise.
Everybody is affected differently by carbs and by different foods. So you need to test to find out how You react to different foods

When you test use the side of your finger tip, much less pain

Reactions: d33na

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply,
really? milk is a carb? There is so much info to digest (and not a lot of food lol, at least not in my house yet) I've had such a horrible diet for years now, 2 L of pepsi a day, among other terrible sugar/carb loaded things. So I'm really just in shock that I can't eat anything I'm used to eating. Also, I get a really warm fuzzy tired feeling everytime I eat (which I heard someone say is a symptom of diabetes). Over the past few years I've learned to use food as a sedative of sorts, I always ate just before sleeping and avoided eating during times I needed to stay awake. I know that sounds strange, I don't know if anyone else has experienced that. But the last few days I've been far more "awake" than I've felt in a long time... and I like it :) I'm assuming that's due to the change in diet. But I like how you put it, a lot of my thoughts as well as meal ideas are shots in the dark at this point. I don't even have a glucometer yet :/ I'm off to get educated in Blood Sugar 101 now....

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Hi Agapetos and welcome! Moon gave some excellent starting advice and, since you've been kicking around the drums and reading some of the posts here, you'll have a pretty good idea of what you need to do. However, as you say, that initial period of uncertainty is frustrating as all....um...dark place with lots of fire and some red dude with a pitchfork. :)

I remember when I was diagnosed back in March how I immediately went out and bought tons of healthy foods (according to the Plate
Model, which replaced the Food Pyramid). I didn't have a meter at that point but thought that I was so doing great things for my health. I ate whole grain bread and lots of fresh fruit and veggies...I ate lean cuts of meat and Omega3 and 6 margarines and I drank lots of water and milk.

Then I got my meter!

We cannot stress hard enough on this forum just how important it is to test what you eat. Get a meter as quickly as you can and test like mad. I would test directly before I ate something and both 1 and 2 hours after eating the first bite. If I know I've eaten a slow- acting carb, I will test on the hour, every hour for 6 hours after the food. Now, months later, I know what I can and cannot eat. I don't test as often each day (2 times per day) so
I save money on strips.

Next, read!

Read, read, read and learn! What we were doing to our bodies before our diagnosis is no longer acceptable. We need to accept that we have to make some changes in our lives and stick to them. We need to ignore the "good advice" of doctors, nurses, dietitians, Diabetes associations, friends, family and loved ones until they understand that you, and you alone, control your life and your health! There is so much information out there that can help you understand diabetes. Read!

Finally, relax! Having diabetes is no longer the scary disease it once was. With regular testing, healthy eating (low carb), regular exercise and meds if needed, you can live a long and prosperous life. With diabetes, the way to win is to control it before it controls you! And remember to use us here on this forum. We have diabetes. We understand what you're going through and are here for you.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi, Welcome, I was the same as you 4 weeks ago, I cut out all the carbs, I eat Stirfried Veggies & Protein every meal ( Eggs, Meat, Chicken or Fish) It seems to be working for me, along with exercise (at least half hour walk everyday, and trust me I Hate exercise!) Along with Metformin, and my numbers are comming down and I feel the best I have in a long while.
Please read, Blood sugar 101 Its wonderful
Welcome to the Club............

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Just hollaring in to say hi & welcome, agapetos. You've gotten all the good information from our diabetes buddies here, & it works - we've tried it & it works! :D So take care & visit often - we look forward to getting better acquainted & helping you get oriented in this diabetes jungle.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Hi Agapetos, welcome to the group

I'm sorry that you are in a situation where you have had to join this forum but can assure you that you will be happy that you did !

I am sure you'll start getting things in control very soon. We both have nearly the same starting point. I'm 30 and was diagnosed 45 days back with numbers of 250 in fasting and a a1c of 12.7 ! Following a low carb diet and exercising (+ medicine) has helped me tremendously. My last 30 day average on fasting is 94 and post meal averages have been around 120. I hope to reduce these levels by another 10% but I am sure once I loose the weight, that may happen.

Blood sugar 101 is where you will learn the most. And your friends are always here to help. Keep talking to us and share with us your thoughts, progress and questions.

Metformin will help tremendously. Follow that up with low carb food and some exercise. You will see the results soon. Dont loose heart

The basic of low carb: Stop all things made of any kind of grain (breads of all kinds, pastas), fruits, rice, corn, potatoes, sugar. If you pick up something from the supermarket look at the nutrition reading. For the moment look for the value of "carbohydrates". Later when you have things in control you can try to add some carbs back

What you can have -> Sausages, Bacon, Eggs, Salads with all the dressings you thought were bad earlier (like mayonise, southwest, caeser), cheese. Dont worry to much. Soon you will realise that you can have very tasty stuff despite having Diabetes. I still enjoy a mcdonald burger (without the bread). Despite eating all this kind of "bad" food (as others told you earlier), I've lost significant weight in 45 days (ofcourse with exercise). I am still making sure I have a cup of milk every day, but I dont take any coffee and tea (I never have in my life)

Another very important thing as everyone said is - Get a meter and test regularly.

Dont worry. Things will be different, but you'll fine

As I read somewhere on this forum, - Well controlled diabetes is the leading cause of "nothing"

Reactions: Dura

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Read the Nutrition labels on food packages.
you are interested in the TOTAL Carbohydrates.
get to know the Glycemic index of foods.
http://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm
Sometimes "Dietery Fiber" is included in the Total carbohydrates value. I consider the Carbs value as

Carbs = (Total of all kinds of carbs) - (the dietary fiber)

My assessment is that dietary fiber, if at all present, is good for the body because, it increases the volume of food (you feel full) it cannot get absorbed, improves the digestive process and slows down the glucose absorbtion process, hence reducing the spikes

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Kimbeau, how about introducing yourself to us? What are your numbers, how are you managing, what are your goals. Stuff like that will be good to know for us.

Welcome!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts