The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new here. My husband is diabetic I am not sure what type 1 or 2 he is, he doesn't remember which one either. He is diabetic and takes 4 shots daily, with 2 different insulin meds. I am trying to learn more about his diabetes and help out with what it takes to keep him healthy. Please don't think I haven't cared, we have only been together for a short time and am trying to find out what I can to make a difference in our lives together.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello and welcome! If your husband is taking two kinds of insulin then he is Type 1. I have been Type 1 for 63 years and I am very healthy. If your husband learns what he needs to know and gets good control of his diabetes then he will have a good chance of leading a long, healthy life. Tell us more about him and ask all the questions you want. We are here to help!

Richard

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
reply on info

Thank you for your help and I am sure I will have many questions, my husband does take care of himself, he has had diabetes for 7 yrs and we are in our 40's, he is still working full time- a diesel mechanic- he takes snacks with him, checks sugar levels, he eats good, we exercise. I recently got laid off and now get to cook more for him, something I love to do (cook). There certain foods I should stay away from for his health? now I will go get a new book pertaining to type 1, I try to buy lowfat/ low sugar, low cal foods. I have gotten booklets for diabetics, now with your help I can concentrate on Type 1. thank you so much for your help.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Next time he goes to the doctor, have him ask if he is type 1 or type 2. Also, see if you two can attend a diabetes education class together. You both will learn so much. I'm glad you decided to join us! Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts