The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ! My name is Marysue. My hubby was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in 1996. He is starting to face complications from the disease and I decided to look for alternate support because he isn't very cooperative about helping himself. He doesn't let me accompany him to his doctor appts, nor keep me informed of any test results, docs answers to questions etc. I'm noticing that he may be experiencing nerve pain especially in his upper left arm. He has had ultra sound done, been for physio, chiro and massage but nothing seems to help. Does anyone have any recommendations for this type of pain? Is it also true that diabetes can affect a person's memory? Tom complains of being forgetful and I agree that he is plus he doesn't seem to be able to focus or pay attention very well at times. I'm concerned for the possibility of Alzheimers. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I don't have much advice to offer you unfortunately, but did want to at least welcome you to the forum. I imagine it can be rather tough when you are not able to work as a team to help him. I do know that when my blood sugar is very low, or very high, I do have some "mental" issues, such as stammering, unable to focus, etc. Not sure on being forgetful, probably can't remember that happening :) Hopefully others on the forum can pitch in with some ideas.

Cheers,

Jeremy

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Welcome, Marysue!

You've come to a great place, chock-full of information and excellent support.

There is a direct link between diabetes and memory deficits. But that link is only recently starting to be explored. You won't find much info on treatment because research has not really gone that far, from what I can discern. Lists of symptoms may not even mention it.

However, as an extremely recently diagnosed Type 2, I can tell you that keeping blood sugar as close as possible to non-diabetic levels -- not too low, not too high -- does a lot to lift the fog. Just being aware of the link helps me function better, too.

For me, the easiest way to achieve those levels is a low-carb, high-fat diet. Most likely, this is the polar opposite of the dietary advice your husband's received from doctors and dietitians. But I've learned that any other diet only keeps my levels high and spiking.

Some of us also swear by supplemental vitamins such as B-Complex, C and E. (I just started doing that, so we'll see.)

Looking back, brain fog should have been my first clue. Even so, I doubt my HMO would have considered diabetes as a possible cause.

Hope this info is of some help for both you and Tom.

·
Registered
54 Posts
MarySue,

I have recently gotten control of my Blood sugar levels. I, and my Wife can tell you, that ALL of the symptoms you mentioned are things that were active for me. Now that i am in control i can not believe how BAD i felt and didnt realize it.

I suffer depression, Lack of focus, etc etc etc. Unfortunately my wife had trouble getting through to me as well, I really didnt understand how Much my mood and abilities were affected.

I do not know you or your husband, and can not therefore help you get through to him, but I can tell you that my wife had to really get in my face to wake me up enough to start trying again
You see I had tried to get control, couldn't get in control and really gave up because it was hopeless, of course i did not realize how depressed i was and how much ability i had lost to focus and think clearly

It is really amazing to me how much better I feel -

If there is anything i can do to help let me know

Don

G

·
welcome Marysue :) I hope your hubby can help himself at some point. I agree with what others here have already said. I also think that if the brain is being drained of glucose... then it's bound to have trouble working properly. Also eating too many carbs can make you feel lethargic. I've noticed myself that I can get forgetful and lose my concentration easily and I'm only 37yo. But I'm on other medications too, so that could play a part. I'm not sure whether or not your hubby is on other meds? It's well known too as mentioned already that diabetics are prone to depression... it could just be your hubby is a bit depressed and not willing to acknowledge or admit it?... I'd imagine that would make it hard for communication and getting through to him if that's the case. I'm sure you'll find lots of support and info here. Keep us posted on how things are going.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Hi Marysue - welcome to the forum though sorry for why you had to seek us out. It can't be easy in your position, loving and wanting to help your husb when he's somewhat shutdown about his diabetes.

I am new to diabetes so others can offer more pearls than I on that, but I do have a mom with dementia who I've been taking care of for years. The most important thing I can advise is to try and get your family doc interested in diagnosing him early if that's what it is. What I've seen is that the person with dementia is the first to be concerned. My mom would tell me of her fear and I'd dismiss it out of ignorance, telling her it's normal to get forgetful with age.

Once she was dx'ed, we got her on meds immediately and that has greatly enhanced the quality of her life and kept the disease from progressing as quickly as it would have otherwise.

Good luck - and again, welcome.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. My husband is also Type 2, as well as me. He sounds like your husband and really refuses to admit he has diabetes. I am lucky he does take his meds and exercises every night. So his HbA1c is always in the mid 5's. I basically cook low carb, and now have stopped buying junk food, crackers and even bread. The only bread product we have in our house is bread made without flour- sprouted grain bread. As far as the pain, it seems lots of diabetics suffer from frozen shoulder, carpal tunnel and other similar symptoms. I'm not sure there is one treatment better than another. Keeping bgs close to normal to avoid glycation sticking to those joints is probably the best thing. As far as the forgetfulness, is he on any other meds? I had similar muscle pains and brain fog, last summer. I thought it was fibromyalgia but it turned to be statin myopathy from a statin drug that was poisoning me. My brain seemed like mush. When I stopped the drug, within a few months I was about 80% back to normal.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Hey there MarySue, :welcome: from this fellow-albertan. I'm just a hop-skip-and-a-jump away in Airdrie...

If your husbands doctor/dietitian/nutritionist is like mine, they have given him BAD advice on what to eat.

Canadian medical staff are STILL telling diabetics to eat based on the 'food pyramid' and recommend between 150g and 300g of carbohydrate a day!

I easily eat twice as much as most people on this forum (usually around 3500 calories a day, give-or-take), and yet stay about 60g of carb most days, and under 100g every day now...

Many (if not most) of the complications of diabetes CAN be reversed, but NOT by following "conventional" wisdom. The vast majority of the medical community was trained and still teaches the WRONG information about care for diabetes, especially in regards to diet.

If you haven't done so already, read a copy of Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution ... it gives some GREAT information that could really help turn your husband's diabetes around! The Calgary Public Library has 14 copies of it at various branches throughout the city.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for your greetings everyone. My hubby is on other meds too; low dose asprin, cozaar 50mg per day, pravastatin 30mg per day, atelenol, multivitamin and calcium. Metformin 2000mg per day; 22 units of Nova insulin at night. His sugar readings are usually in the normal range when he first wakes up but quickly go up. His dr suggested adding 10 units of insulin midday but he is resisting doing that. In the past he has had leg cramps in the night. He was recommended by a nutrition counsellor at our health food store to take calcium and magnesium which he does. It did help the leg cramps. I'm wondering if the shoulder/arm pain is actually diabetic nerve pain and if anything can be done about it. He has been diabetic officially since 1996 but I suspect he was actually diabetic a couple of years before that because I often smelled an acetone smell on his breath and I knew this meant diabetes. He didn't believe me. I find his lack of caring very stressful because I'm dealing with bladder cancer myself and our sone has health issues as well. I'm cancer free but still under going treatments for the rest of this year. Immunotherapy isn't as drastic as chemo but I do feel yucky for a couple of days after each one. Anyone have any strategies to get a stubborn spouse to care about their health?

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Hello Again, Marysue!

Your plate is overflowing. Just wondering (no need to answer unless you wish) ... what does your husband say/do when you tell him about the added stress this is causing?

Leg pain can also be caused by potassium deficits related to the diabetes. I was getting cramps almost nightly prior to my diagnosis, and they had to give me potassium drips in the hospital. No problem since.

My thoughts are with you.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I had severe muscle pain in my legs and shoulders last summer. It turned out it was being caused by the Prevarastatin I was on. In a small amount people the statin attacks the muscle and dissolves it. I was in constant pain and no amount of exercise or therapy worked. Once I stopped the drug within a few months about 80% of the pain was gone. I still have some residual damage and am taking CoQ10 to rebuild some of the mitochondria in my cells. Have him talk to his doctor about this.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi Marysue! I just joined the forum too. My hubby was diagnosed with type 2 last week and I am desperate for info and support. This week was very trying dealing with his frustrations and fears. I can see there are many compassionate folks here so I hope you get the encouragement you need! I am here for ya!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts