The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone - glad that this forum is here.

I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes a few years back and in the beginning I took very good care. Over the past year I am not taking such good care and my Doc is reading the riot act now and I am trying to get back into control...

I look forward to talking to many of you!

Ken

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hey Ken. Good for you trying to regain control. Sometimes we just need to hear it again and again. Good luck with it and I'm sure you'll get lots of support and encouragement here. I'm new too but am finding the information so helpful.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Hi Ken, welcome. Can you share a little about how you manage your diabetes. I have only been D for 4 years but have used trial and error and tons of diet changes to fine tune bg numbers. Also if needed medication or insulin is very beneficial if you need it. Diabetes is progressive, as beta cells die we need to tighten up our diet and/or increase some of our meds to keep good control.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Welcome to the forums!! We are so glad you're here. I hope you come back as often as possible. I know it is hard to keep up the rigid routine everyday but we have to do it. I have decided it's one of my crosses to carry. Remember, take it one day at a time. We might have a bad reading, a bad day or eat that thing we shouldn't, we can either give up or keep fighting. I hope you keep fighting!!

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Glad you've decided to help yourself. With this condition, that's really what it boils down to...no one else can tell you what your body will do. There are just too many variables!

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Welcome, Ken! :welcome:

You'll find lots of info and support here. Glad you found us.

Onward to the future!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you...

Thank you for your support...

I started to read recently online statistics of people diagnosed with diabetes and the percentages that take control at the start and then begin to wander off of their control... I match this almost completely. Within the first 90 days I lost 30 lbs and had great bg numbers. Over the past year I have let it slip and my danger zone is at night in front of the TV set. I just 'graze' until I go to bed.

I think that I am going to try to use this forum like a group therapy place to come - support for me when I want to eat what I should not. I may just make myself come here and post when the urge hits to eat - here I will come instead.

Thanks for listening - thanks for being here - hope I can offer support back.

O

·
0 Posts
welcome Ken :) glad you've joined... I'm sure you'll find this a great place for support and info. It's a case of keep on doing what you know to do best. Being human we're all prone to mistakes now and then but the main thing is to get right back up and keep trying. You get to learn what works best for you. I have definitely found that my condition has changed over the years and things don't always remain the same. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

·
Super Moderator
6,160 Posts
Over the past year I have let it slip and my danger zone is at night in front of the TV set. I just 'graze' until I go to bed.
This is a big issue for me as well - night eating - and I still have work to do on this. However, I've managed to incorporate night eating into my diet and rarely have a problem with DP (dawn phenomenon.)

Whereas I used to snack on carbs, now my snacks are cheese, nuts, even a piece of salami (w/out nitrites at least.) I might have a few http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-recipes/2362-cheese-crisps.html with some guacamole. Most of the time I see no glucose rise from this, and my fastings are typically the same as my before-bed readings.

So - I'm working on giving up my snacking, but at least have found an interim solution... via the Diabetes Forum Golden Rule: Eat to my Meter.

Good luck!

Reactions: kengra

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think that for the night eating I have to experiment with things like this. I have started to keep a bowl of raw veggies cut up - green beans, broccoli slaw, grape tomatoes, and a little bit of French dressing. I find that this dressing is kind of sweet/savory and the crunching of the veggies seems to be getting me through.

I think that also I just need to come back to the saying that I adopted when I was first diagnosed... I came to a really quick realization after having my meetings with doctors and nurses and nutritionists that...

We DON'T eat most of the time because we are hungry or need the food, we eat because we see it, or smell it, or just think we want it.

We go to a shopping mall and we smell the cinnamon buns at the food court. We walk past a bakery window and it just looks good. What the vast majority of the people out there can do is just eat it because they see it and want it. I used to do that too... as we all did I am sure.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I think that I am going to try to use this forum like a group therapy place to come - support for me when I want to eat what I should not. I may just make myself come here and post when the urge hits to eat - here I will come instead.
That's a great idea Ken. Its such an active, dynamic forum that I'm sure you'll find the voice of reason somewhere among the members when your naughty voice is screaming 'eat me'.

Here I am 2 weeks after the DX all fixated on doing the right thing but I do wonder if a year from now, the impetus for change will be as strong. Hope so.

In MY specific case, I only have myself to blame for being here so I feel like this is a last chance to try to undo some life long bad habits. Time will tell.

Good luck to you.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Welcome Ken! You are going to love it here, it is truly a great support network. Let us know if you have any questions on your road to control!

Cheers,

Jeremy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts