The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up some sugar-free cinnamon rice pudding today made by Jello and it is really good. 10 carbs per serving. 12 total carbs, 5 sugar alcohol. This is different than the cinnamon roll SF pudding.

And Shanny had to mention the Atkins Endulge peanut butter cups and I bought 1 pack and went to the car and ate them-at 2 net carbs, you can't beat that and I liked them so well, I went back into the store and bought a couple more packs. SHAME ON YOU SHANNY! :D

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Those Atkins bars confuse the heck out of me. i cannot figure out their math that allows them to say "2 net carbs", whenever i read their label, i get 14 net grams of carbs, not 2

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
If you subtract the sugar alcohols too, then it's 2g. But some people get a spike from some sugar alcohols, so it's another YMMV issue. I think there's enough fat in these that they don't bother me much - at least they wouldn't if I didn't eat the whole darn box!

And btw . . . y'like Mounds/Almond Joy bars? The Atkins Endulge coconut bar is a REALLY reasonable facsimile! (
Smack! "Shut up awreddy, Shannon!")

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you subtract the sugar alcohols too, then it's 2g. But some people get a spike from some sugar alcohols, so it's another YMMV issue. I think there's enough fat in these that they don't bother me much - at least they wouldn't if I didn't eat the whole darn box!

And btw . . . y'like Mounds/Almond Joy bars? The Atkins Endulge coconut bar is a REALLY reasonable facsimile! (
Smack! "Shut up awreddy, Shannon!")
Where are you buying your Atkins treats? I went to Giant Eagle and they were 2 for $3, or $1.50 per pack, that is really expensive.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Where are you buying your Atkins treats? I went to Giant Eagle and they were 2 for $3, or $1.50 per pack, that is really expensive.

Yea, they arent cheap anywhere, 2 for $3 seems fairly cheap, actually

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea, they arent cheap anywhere, 2 for $3 seems fairly cheap, actually
OK, thanks for the heads up! You know I was trying to figure out how much my diabetes health care is costing me per year. When I figure in test strips, lancets, sharps containers, insulin syringes, alcohol swabs, and my oral medications and my insulin, special sweeteners, sugar free foods. Then we have doctor visits and lab tests every 3 months. I figure that I am spending about $10,000 per year. Insurance does pay for a big portion of the cost, but still.......:eek: But you gotta do what it takes to live with this disease.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
OK, thanks for the heads up! You know I was trying to figure out how much my diabetes health care is costing me per year. When I figure in test strips, lancets, sharps containers, insulin syringes, alcohol swabs, and my oral medications and my insulin, special sweeteners, sugar free foods. Then we have doctor visits and lab tests every 3 months. I figure that I am spending about $10,000 per year. Insurance does pay for a big portion of the cost, but still.......:eek: But you gotta do what it takes to live with this disease.

Yes, since im new to all of this, ive learned that diabetes care is VERY costly. insurance companies cannot be happy about that.

at the same time, at least when i was young, they sure didnt tell us about it much.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
i was talking to a friend about this the other day.

She want to lose weight, i told her to cut out the carbs, go walking, and portion control. she brought up a good point, its damn costly to "eat properly"

it sure is, but its better then getting sick

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i was talking to a friend about this the other day.

She want to lose weight, i told her to cut out the carbs, go walking, and portion control. she brought up a good point, its damn costly to "eat properly"

it sure is, but its better then getting sick
It is so very expensive to eat properly. When you get to the meat department, everything you drop in your grocery cart is down right expensive. I wanted to buy a piece of fillet mignon, it was $19.99 per pound and I said "no thanks". I eat steak once a year. Chicken and turkey are my friends. I just started using almond milk instead of regular milk and it is twice as expensive.....ugh!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts