The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey:)
I'm a 22 year old male - and was recently diagnosed with type 1. I had been experiencing symptoms for around 3 months - weightloss, mood swings, blurred vision, hunger, increased urination extreme fatigue - but it took a family friend (a nurse) to detect that I should be tested for diabetes. I was taken to hospital the same day when my bloodwork came back showing dangerous results. I was treated for 3 days on a IV.

Now 3 weeks on I'm still struggling to adjust. I have a great diabetes coach and am using Novolog... but my sugars seem to still be outta control.. I know it takes time to learn full management but I am getting frustrated and upset with myself a lot.

I joined here because it sadly seems a lot of people around me don't wanna understand the full implications of this - my friends in paticular are so DONE with my moodswings, I'm feeling a little alone and isolated in this so it would be good to speak with some people who at least are in the same boat?

Look forward to it :)

Regards - Carey

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello Carey, welcome to our support group! We all go through this after diagnosis.It does take awhile. Are you counting carbs to determine your insulin dosages before meals and snacks? That is very important.

I have been Type 1 for 64 years and I am very healthy. I just want you to know that you can have a long, healthy life once you have good control. It takes a lot of patience and hard work, but it is certainly worth it.

Ask all the questions you want. There are several experienced diabetics here who are using insulin.

Richard

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome, Carey. You'll find good support here, and people who have walked in your shoes every step of the way. Because I'm a type 2 and not even on insulin, I may not make a lot of suggestions, but it is puzzling why you aren't on basal insulin like Lantus or levemir, instead of or in addition to your Novolog. This might be something you should discuss with your diabetes coach or preferably your doctor.

How has this affected your dancing? Surely the fatigue is numbing.

Thank you for joining us and please hurry back - I think we can help you understand a lot of what's happening and maybe avoid some of the pitfalls of managing diabetes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you guys for the welcome : )

i am meeting my diabetes coach tomorrow for a kinda review of everything with the option of switching up my insulin to something more suitable.. i am not so confident with the syringes so the novolog pens have been great as a starting point... i do want to move over to a long lasting insulin or even a pump if possible - however, i am having medical insurance issues right now (thats another show) and there are a few things that need to be worked out in that area.

i will be also starting a revised meal plan tomorrow and sticking to it far more strictly. i guess i wasnt taking things as seriously as i should have been over the past couple of weeks, maybe a notch of denial in there.

my dancing has been affected greatly since the start of the year when my symptoms, un-DX, were taking over my life. before january, i was working steadily as a professional dancer in london, and before that in many locations - but returned home to san diego in january where i began to deteriorate. i have tried to attend classes and keep my fitness up with home work outs, but it takes very little now to exhaust me. there has been a slight improvement lately and i am hoping to get back out to auditions and persuing work soon when i have better management of this and my stamina is increased.

unfortunetly also my diagnosis came at the time when i was supposed to be in mexico audtioning for a dance job i really wanted. this had to go on hiatus obviously, and i am presently not able to make any money from dance or anything while i stabelize in to managing this condition and way of life. i am also aware that a pre-exsiting condition like diabetes 1 may be offputting to potential employers in the dance industry but i am hoping to overcome that when i am healthy enough to prove i am able to dance like i always did before.

thanks again
carey

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hi Carey, and welcome.

Getting that T1 diagnosis is pretty freaky, isn't it? It sure was for me...I was 52 and had always been healthy as a horse. I remember thinking that food was my enemy and that I couldn't handle doing shots several times a day for the rest of my life. Within a very short time though, it was just my new normal.

There's a lot to learn and it can be very confusing at first. Once you get your insulin regimen more organized, you really will have more energy. I'd like to suggest a couple of books for you. They can really help you understand insulin and how to set proper dosages, and also how to troubleshoot when things aren't working quite right: Think Like a Pancreas by Gary Scheiner and Using Insulin by John Walsh. It seems odd, by the way, that you are not using a basal (long-acting) insulin in addition to your Novolog, which is a short acting insulin used to enable your body to use the carbs in food. But we all have ongoing hormonal and metabolic processes that can cause fluctuations in blood sugar...T1's don't make insulin and so can't regulate blood sugar. Long acting insulins operate in the background over a long period of time to handle those physiological functions.

As for food, even though you can take insulin to cover the carbs that you eat, even T1's can benefit from eliminating or reducing starchy carbs like potatoes, grains, rice, pasta, etc., and eating lots of great salad veggies, eggplant, squash, cauliflower and broccoli, kale....the list goes on and on. Jetison juice in favor of the real thing: Small portions of oranges or apples give you the fruit flavor and a good dollop of fiber. Eat berries for breakfast (straw and black work best for me), with some avocade and a small portion of turkey breast - it's low carb and has a good serving of fat and protein. If you just have to have bread or crackers, be sure to weigh them and take sufficient insulin to process them. The best tool I ever bought for my kitchen is my Salter food scale...weigh a food, selecting from the on-board database, and you get the nutritional content, including net carbs - this makes calculating insulin doses really easy.

You're far ahead of the blood sugar management game because you are physically fit and physically active. There's nothing like it to help minimize your insulin intake. Keep it up. There are many professional atheletes and artists who are diabetic. Many use insulin pumps - but that may not be an option for you right now.

Anyway, I've rambled on and your head is probably swimming! Don't hesitate to ask questions...

Jen

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hey:)
I'm a 22 year old male - and was recently diagnosed with type 1. I had been experiencing symptoms for around 3 months - weightloss, mood swings, blurred vision, hunger, increased urination extreme fatigue - but it took a family friend (a nurse) to detect that I should be tested for diabetes. I was taken to hospital the same day when my bloodwork came back showing dangerous results. I was treated for 3 days on a IV.

Now 3 weeks on I'm still struggling to adjust. I have a great diabetes coach and am using Novolog... but my sugars seem to still be outta control.. I know it takes time to learn full management but I am getting frustrated and upset with myself a lot.

I joined here because it sadly seems a lot of people around me don't wanna understand the full implications of this - my friends in paticular are so DONE with my moodswings, I'm feeling a little alone and isolated in this so it would be good to speak with some people who at least are in the same boat?

Look forward to it :)

Regards - Carey
Welcome Carey! So glad you joined the forum. You will get so much help from the members. I was diagnosed 10 years ago with T2 and I still am surrounded by friends & family members who don't understand diabetes. I guess you really need to have the disease to fully understand it. When your blood sugar readings are up and down, your moods can be up and down too. In time, this will all even out with good control. Come and visit often, we are here to support each other!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thankyou guys so much. i am feeling a bunch more positive after reading a lot of stuff on here and learning from other peoples experiences, etc. THANKYOU again for the responses and for welcoming me here.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
thankyou guys so much. i am feeling a bunch more positive after reading a lot of stuff on here and learning from other peoples experiences, etc. THANKYOU again for the responses and for welcoming me here.
Welcome Carey. SO glad you found us. As you have already seen there are so many helpful people here on this forum. No matter what type we are, we are all here for each other to offer support and advice. We have all been there in learning a new diagnosis and having to make the changes we have all had to make. Let us know how it goes with your insulin adjustments. I hope you get your insurance problems fixed. I recently went to a pump and now I wish I had done it years ago when I really needed to. I am in better control now than I have been in years. Its an awesome thing :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.