The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I’m a newbie and just wanted to introduce myself. I’m a 47 year old male, overweight, living with sleep apnea (use a mask) and have high blood pressure (which is under control with Amlodipine).

About five months ago, I had a blood test and my doc told me my A1C was 9.8 and glucose was 298 – not good he said! He put me on Metformin 500 mg twice a day and told me to lose weight, change my diet, and exercise. Easier said than done, but I’ve made some small progress….

Anyway, since that first test, I’ve lost about 25lbs and my last blood test had my A1C down to 5.8 and my glucose was at 98.

The last three days I decided to test myself for a month to learn how my body reacts to the meals I’ve been eating, and I must say the testing drives me crazy. Even though my doc told me I didn’t quite need to do the daily testing thing since my blood tests have been better and better (I’ve taken 4 over the last 6 months) I decided to arm myself with as much knowledge as possible anyway. I’m sure these questions have been asked a thousand times, but I would sincerely appreciate if anyone could shed some light on the subject of testing and blood sugar levels…….

The last three days, first thing in the morning, my fasting results have been at 72, 88, and 96. My father, who is also a type 2, told me if he was at 72 he’d be shaking but he said everybody is different. I felt perfectly fine at 72, but it does make me wonder if I was too low, or if I’m possibly taking too much Metformin?

The last three days after an estimated 20 to 25 carb lunches, I’ve been reading 88, 89, and 91, so I think I’m ok there….. But……

Another concern of mine is that tonight after dinner, I waited two hours and tested 126 which is the highest I’ve shown in three days, but I must admit I experimented a little with having a 50 carb dinner (which included three slices of stone ground low carb wheat bread – it’s called “When Pigs Fly” and it’s 8 carbs a slice).

From a reading of 126, it seems to me that 50 carbs may be too much for my body, or is 126 an acceptable spike after dinner?
And now I’m wondering what is a reasonable spike, and what is not?
Lastly, do non-diabetics have sugar spikes in their blood, and if so, how much generally?

I’m sorry if this was too much for a first post, but I get a lot of mixed messaging from my Internet research and I feel the best way to get proper info is from these types of forums. :)

Thanks in advance,
Bruce

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello and a hearty welcome, Bruce! Your progress in five months is STUNNING! Way to go! (okay, enuff exclamation points for now . . . :D)

Those numbers are truly great, though - all "exclaiming" aside. My own target range is 80 - 130, and I'm pretty strict on low-carb because metformin is my only medication too. You weren't too low at 72 . . . even if you'd happen to drop down around 60, you could eat something to bring your levels back up a bit. And you weren't too high at 126 either, IMO . . . looks like you have this thing under control. (and btw, my doc sez I test too much too . . . :rolleyes:) The weight you've lost may account for the improved numbers too, because reducing your weight reduces insulin resistance. From the looks of things, your insulin resistance is just about non-existent!

I'm not as well versed on non-diabetic levels, but I think they do have "spikes" after meals, but they don't go very high and they drop back quickly.

We're delighted to have you join us, and as you prowl around the boards, you'll prob'ly notice that most of us are pretty gabby . . . but if there's a word limit on these posts, I haven't hit it yet, so don't worry about your long posts! We love it!

take care & hurry back,

p.s. I have OSA also, and am on CPAP . . .

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sounds very encouraging Shanny. Thanks for your reply. I'll check back in tomorrow as well and we'll be slinking around from time to time.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Hi there and welcome :) I am with Shanny...those numbers sound great to me too. You have a done a really good job gertting yourself in control. I dont think 126 is too high really. My personal range I like to keep 90-120. I dont usually start to feel bad until I am in the low 70's. For dinner tonight I had a pretty carby meal.. 60 grams...an hour later I checked and was 138. I am ok with that because I am pretty sure I will be back down to target range within the 2 hour mark. Sounds like you are doing pretty ok to me :)

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hi All,

I’m a newbie and just wanted to introduce myself. I’m a 47 year old male, overweight, living with sleep apnea (use a mask) and have high blood pressure (which is under control with Amlodipine).

About five months ago, I had a blood test and my doc told me my A1C was 9.8 and glucose was 298 – not good he said! He put me on Metformin 500 mg twice a day and told me to lose weight, change my diet, and exercise. Easier said than done, but I’ve made some small progress….

Anyway, since that first test, I’ve lost about 25lbs and my last blood test had my A1C down to 5.8 and my glucose was at 98.

The last three days I decided to test myself for a month to learn how my body reacts to the meals I’ve been eating, and I must say the testing drives me crazy. Even though my doc told me I didn’t quite need to do the daily testing thing since my blood tests have been better and better (I’ve taken 4 over the last 6 months) I decided to arm myself with as much knowledge as possible anyway. I’m sure these questions have been asked a thousand times, but I would sincerely appreciate if anyone could shed some light on the subject of testing and blood sugar levels…….

The last three days, first thing in the morning, my fasting results have been at 72, 88, and 96. My father, who is also a type 2, told me if he was at 72 he’d be shaking but he said everybody is different. I felt perfectly fine at 72, but it does make me wonder if I was too low, or if I’m possibly taking too much Metformin?

The last three days after an estimated 20 to 25 carb lunches, I’ve been reading 88, 89, and 91, so I think I’m ok there….. But……

Another concern of mine is that tonight after dinner, I waited two hours and tested 126 which is the highest I’ve shown in three days, but I must admit I experimented a little with having a 50 carb dinner (which included three slices of stone ground low carb wheat bread – it’s called “When Pigs Fly” and it’s 8 carbs a slice).

From a reading of 126, it seems to me that 50 carbs may be too much for my body, or is 126 an acceptable spike after dinner?
And now I’m wondering what is a reasonable spike, and what is not?
Lastly, do non-diabetics have sugar spikes in their blood, and if so, how much generally?

I’m sorry if this was too much for a first post, but I get a lot of mixed messaging from my Internet research and I feel the best way to get proper info is from these types of forums. :)

Thanks in advance,
Bruce
Welcome to Diabetes Forum! So glad you decided to drop by and say hi! You will get some real hands on info from the members here. It sounds like you have made some really good lifestyle adjustments which shows in your A1C. When you tested at 72, that is at the low end of the range but everyone has their own version of low and how you feel at 72 someone else may experience more low symptoms. I don't feel low unless I am under 40 and then I just feel a little dizzy and my hands shake. I stay at the low end of the range as much as possible. From what I have learned, non-diabetics do have a spike after eating carbs but then they fall back down naturally. When you waited 2 hours to test after eating and was at 126, you didn't mention what your pre-meal blood sugar was so it is hard to say how much of a spike that you had, but 126 is a good post meal number. Most diabetics can go as high as 180/2 hour post meal according to the ADA. Take care and visit often!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Congrats... looks like loosing the weight helped quite a bit. Keep it up

We need to clarify a little hear the two hour reading is not the spike, as said "down to target range within the 2 hour mark" the spike happens around the 1 hour mark (barring a very high fat meal IE pizza and gastro problems)

normal BGL is 65 to 105

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Congrats... looks like loosing the weight helped quite a bit. Keep it up

We need to clarify a little hear the two hour reading is not the spike, as said "down to target range within the 2 hour mark" the spike happens around the 1 hour mark (barring a very high fat meal IE pizza and gastro problems)

normal BGL is 65 to 105
Where did you get your normal BGL info from? When you say normal, is that fasting, pre-meal, post meal? The ADA recommends testing 2 hour post meal. Please clarfiy.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all, it's really good to know there are places like this to get "first hand" knowledge of such things. I sincerly appreciate it.

I woke up this morning and my reading was 126 still. It's like I never quite came down from that carby meal I had last night.

I didn't get to test pre and after lunch today, but I just did a pre dinner test and it read 103, which makes me feel a lot better.

So 103 before dinner and I'll come back later and post my 2 hr level after eating.

Thanks again folks, and nice to meet ya'll!
Bruce

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, following up from my last post..... My pre dinner reading was 103 and two hours after dinner I tested at 130. Another hour after that I tested at 111.

I guess these are ok but I was hoping my numbers would stay like they did on my first day of testing (which was 72, 88, 96) but I suppose it could always be worse.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Ok, following up from my last post..... My pre dinner reading was 103 and two hours after dinner I tested at 130. Another hour after that I tested at 111.

I guess these are ok but I was hoping my numbers would stay like they did on my first day of testing (which was 72, 88, 96) but I suppose it could always be worse.
I think those numbers are actually quite good. Souns like you are on the right track to me :)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I think you're looking good too, Bruce . . . and even though it's been a full day since your big carby meal, I find that sometimes it takes me a few days to get things squared away again when I've taken a little detour, as it were. So when I'm really tempted (like having sushi! ;)), I have to weigh if all that sticky rice is worth two/three days of struggle to get my levels back down & stable again.

You seem to have a good handle on this . . . keep on keepin' on.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think you're looking good too, Bruce . . . and even though it's been a full day since your big carby meal, I find that sometimes it takes me a few days to get things squared away again when I've taken a little detour, as it were. So when I'm really tempted (like having sushi! ;)), I have to weigh if all that sticky rice is worth two/three days of struggle to get my levels back down & stable again.

You seem to have a good handle on this . . . keep on keepin' on.
Oh, I see. I didn't realize that a bad carby meal could have after effects of more than one day. This is good to know. It makes trying not to cheat just a little easier.

:)

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Oh, I see. I didn't realize that a bad carby meal could have after effects of more than one day. This is good to know. It makes trying not to cheat just a little easier.

:)
It can, yes. Especially depending on the carb itself. For instance...I love spaghetti, but it doesnt love me. Pasta especially has some sort of higher fat sauce on it which will cause it to digest more slowly. Pizza is another culprit like this. When it digests more slowly it will raise your blood sugar and keep it higher for a longer time. Sometimes the spike wont even show up immediately but hours later. If you combine it with the gastroparesis that many diabetics have...its even longer. Just one more thing to mindful of :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Today I stayed under 50 carbs (est) total for the day and never went over 113, so I can definitely see the benefit of eating lower carb. I know it's not easy, and certainly not for everyone, but I guess <for me> the blood don't lie. Still, I'd like better, but I'll take what I can get and I know others suffer with much worse numbers so I don't want to come off ungrateful or anything.

Anyway, it looks like I'm doing better today than yesterday, so I'll take some solace in that. Boy, this can be a lot of work staying on top of things isn't it?

Thanks for the encouragement folks, I learn something new everytime I come here. :)

Today's readings:

> woke up at 103 (didn't test at lunch)
> pre dinner at 103
> 2 hrs after dinner 113
> 2 hrs later (just now) I'm 111 (had a little snack).

Total carbs for the day came in about 50. I will be tracking my total carbs against my numbers and see if I can see any patterns or at the least, I'll learn what meals/food does to my blood.

Do you folks do the same thing? Measure total daily carb against the testing numbers, or does it all just come automatically and you know already what you're numbers will be depending on what you eat?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Today I stayed under 50 carbs (est) total for the day and never went over 113, so I can definitely see the benefit of eating lower carb. I know it's not easy, and certainly not for everyone, but I guess <for me> the blood don't lie. Still, I'd like better, but I'll take what I can get and I know others suffer with much worse numbers so I don't want to come off ungrateful or anything.

Anyway, it looks like I'm doing better today than yesterday, so I'll take some solace in that. Boy, this can be a lot of work staying on top of things isn't it?

Thanks for the encouragement folks, I learn something new everytime I come here. :)

Today's readings:

> woke up at 103 (didn't test at lunch)
> pre dinner at 103
> 2 hrs after dinner 113
> 2 hrs later (just now) I'm 111 (had a little snack).

Total carbs for the day came in about 50. I will be tracking my total carbs against my numbers and see if I can see any patterns or at the least, I'll learn what meals/food does to my blood.

Do you folks do the same thing? Measure total daily carb against the testing numbers, or does it all just come automatically and you know already what you're numbers will be depending on what you eat?
Good job..pat yourself on the back! I am mindful of every single carb that goes into my mouth every single day. Eventually you will get a feel of what carbs and how many you can handle, but the testing never stops. I test pretty frequently, but I have to dose for everything, including snacks, but I tend to be a "grazer" rather than eat three large meals a day. You will figure out what carbs your body handles well and which ones you just have to stay away from.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Yep, we do . . . and we call it "eating to the meter". When our meters threaten to explode after we've eating a certain food :)eek:), we just gotta put that food on the limit list - things to avoid or severely limit in our diets. And yes, as Pam says, you begin to get a feel for it. We may be able to reduce testing a little, but any time I add some new thing I run through the whole routine again a few times.

You've done a terrific job of control, Bruce! And take heart - you'll find things that substitute well for some of the things you've sacrificed. I have found some high fiber tortillas which don't spike me, so that allow me to still enjoy the burritos/quesdillas like I love. There are others too, so keep your eyes open & read labels like crazy!

Again - congratulations on your progress! Nice work!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You gals are so encouraging. Thanks for that. With a little diligence and a dash of luck, we'll all live a healthy and long life!!!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
You gals are so encouraging. Thanks for that. With a little diligence and a dash of luck, we'll all live a healthy and long life!!!
You betcha! I intend to die at a ripe old age WITH diabetes...not FROM it :)

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Bruce,

Great to read that you're getting a handle on things.

This place is great, im new here as well and the people
are very friendly AND helpful :)

-Eric

1 - 19 of 19 Posts