The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I was diagnosed with type 2 just a month ago.

I am 39 years old, 5'11" and 165 pds. I'm on Metformin 500mg x 2 and a low carb diet and hope I can control it very soon.

Thank you.

Fabio

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Welcome Fabio :)

Come on in and make yourself at home! Good to meet you :) Glad you found us here. We are all here to help each other out as much as we can. Feel free to ask any questions at all or to share something that is working for you!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hi All

I am 39 years old, 5'11" and 165 pds. I'm on Metformin 500mg x 2 and a low carb diet and hope I can control it very soon.

Thank you.

Fabio
Hello & welcome, Fabio . . . thank you for joining us. Whatever help we can be, that's whσt we're here for - ask any questions you have, and share what you've learned. It really helps us all to have others to talk with who understand what's going on with us!

:welcome:

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Welcome to the Forums!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi Fabio
I also was diagnosed with type ll diabetes a number of years ago. I found that diet and exercise helped to control my glucose readings. Eventually I did get the readings under control.

G

·
welcome Fabio :) I'm sure you're on your way to getting better control on your BGLs. It's definitely a journey no matter how long people have had this condition. You'll learn heaps as you go.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hi All

Thank you.

Fabio
Hello Fabio and :welcome: to the forum! Come on in and get comfortable :couch2:. You are a newbie and you have so much to learn. Please take some time to read some of the threads that interest you. Ask any questions that you want, we will give you answers and opinions and suggestions. Control can sometimes come to us easily and sometimes it can take awhile to get things under control. Sounds like you have been told or already knew that a low carb diet is a must for diabetics. That is great that you know that. I hope that you are testing at home. Our glucose meter becomes a very good friend and can give you a snapshot of how you are doing. It is a really good idea to have an A1C test. This test will give you an idea of what your blood glucose has been over the last 3 months. It is also important to have a dilated eye exam done, diabetes has a tendency to affect vision, so get that scheduled. I hope you have time to visit often and do take care. I hope we can help you!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for your nice words.

I am a bit sad about this, especially because it´s something that I was never expecting as in my last check up, 3 years ago, my BG was 77.

Anyway Breezeonby, is A1C the same thing that Glycated hemoglobin? If it is, I did already and was 6,9%. And thank you for your advice about eyes, especially because I had dry eye almost 2 years ago but never thought it could be related with diabetes, so I will scheduled a visit to ophthalmologist asap.

Thank you.
Fabio.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Hi, Fabio, I agree, it IS sad to get a dx. I grieved after dx, even as I was picking myself up and figuring out what to do next. Let yourself do it, but do not become self-indulgent about it! It is not so hard a life, to modify your diet and your activity level. In fact, you might discover you prefer your new diet, like I did!

G

·
hi Fabio... along with suggestions already mentioned... the other regular visits should be to your dentist (to prevent gum disease), and podiatrist (to prevent foot problems due to circulation issues diabetes can cause). Make sure you keep regular checks on your BP and cholesterol levels too. I've been advised by my endo that cardiologists in this country have been lobbying the government to get all people with diabetes on BP and cholesterol medication as a prevention strategy for heart disease which is a top killer. But obviously that only occurs if diet and exercise fail to control all three (BGL, BP, cholesterol). But my endo explained that they believe there is a strong hormonal link between control of BGL, BP, and cholesterol. He reckons that diabetics are more prone to higher BP and cholesterols levels as they've discovered that BP and cholesterol is partly controlled by hormones too. Actually I probably should do more reading on that one as I thought it was interesting and made sense. If you're like the rest of us though... you've probably already been given all those nasty stats that docs say you're at higher risk of. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hi Fabio... along with suggestions already mentioned... the other regular visits should be to your dentist (to prevent gum disease), and podiatrist (to prevent foot problems due to circulation issues diabetes can cause). Make sure you keep regular checks on your BP and cholesterol levels too. I've been advised by my endo that cardiologists in this country have been lobbying the government to get all people with diabetes on BP and cholesterol medication as a prevention strategy for heart disease which is a top killer. But obviously that only occurs if diet and exercise fail to control all three (BGL, BP, cholesterol). But my endo explained that they believe there is a strong hormonal link between control of BGL, BP, and cholesterol. He reckons that diabetics are more prone to higher BP and cholesterols levels as they've discovered that BP and cholesterol is partly controlled by hormones too. Actually I probably should do more reading on that one as I thought it was interesting and made sense. If you're like the rest of us though... you've probably already been given all those nasty stats that docs say you're at higher risk of. :)
Can´t agree more with you. Actually I only discovered I am diabetic because I went to renew my drivers license and my BP was high. So, I went to cardiologist and for my surprise my worst problem was my BGL. All my heart tests was ok, only my hdl was a bit low and my triglycerides are great, I think (105).

So, I am taking my diet very seriously, what is not so easy, as I have to travel a lot due my job. The funniest thing is that in only one month, I lost almost 10lbs, even that it wasn´t a problem at all. :) Lunch used to be my first meal, around 2p.m. and dinner 11p.m., but now I have been having breakfast at 8a.m., cafe at 10:30, lunch 1p.m., etc, and eating smaller portions. BTW, I am eating most grilled meat and vegetables.

G

·
You're doing the right thing there Fabio :)
Yeah it's important to eat regularly for sure... test your BGLs regularly too to get idea on how food affects you. We're all different and some of us can handle more carbs and different type of carbs than others. We get taught here too to eat a low fat diet to prevent heart disease. Personally I think this is very important and my family has always advocated a low fat diet too. I have heart disease in my family... my grandparents have had heart attacks (and survived) and other problems, my dad died of a heart attack... so it makes sense to be careful about what fat we consume in our diets. Good fats are Ok... but only in small amounts as full of calories. We get taught to eat 1/4 carb, 1/4 protein, & 1/2 non starchy vegetables as a healthy meal. Meat serve is supposed to be the size of the palm of your hand and no bigger. I know most people find that hard to take as brought up as big meat eaters usually.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Welcome to the forum Fabio! I'm a new T-2 as well. And you're right to take the diet seriously. Nice to meet you!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts