The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am just learning how to check my blood sugar & learning what it means and I am not getting patient advice from my very busy doctor.
I would like to share my symptoms & receive your much more educated & knowledgable advice.
I am 31. In the fall an iridologist warned me to be aware of potential prediabetes. In April my blood work with my doctor confirmed prediabetes as well as a high thyroid.
I have for awhile noticed that, on occassions, when I have sugar I crash hard. But not every time & I am not even sure if that is a symptom. I believe that may be kidney related?
I also sometimes have very shakey, anxious, wierd feelings but I am not sure what I am eating that triggers that or if it is that I have went too long before eating. ??
In a recent follow up appointment my new doctor (the busy one..sigh) reports that my blood work is all normal. Before leaving that appointment & getting the results he did send me home with a blood glucose/sugar monitor to report back in a month or so.
So far, my average normal reading is about 125. As a NON diabetic I do not know what would be considered normal. Prediabetic is not diabetic so I have tried to find that info & I guess I am just not wording it right because I only find blood glucose (or sugar..is that the same thing?) levels for diabetics (which absolutely makes sense...but I don't think I need to check my levels at a diagnosed diabetic level).
At 125 I feel fine.
Yesterday, after about 4 hours from lunch and after a therapy appointment I was feeling extremely anxious, shakey & stressed out. I took my blood glucose level and it was at 98.
At home I ate and the level came back up to 125 and I felt fine.

Can anyone help me understand these numbers and what they mean for a non-diabetic. I am wondering if I am in fact diabetic, or I have heard possibly ?hypoglycemic? which I absolutely know NOTHING about.
I am trying to learn what my body needs so I can start working now with my diet and exercise to hopefully reverse or halt the progression.

I'm sorry this post is so long. I am not sure what information I needed to share or what is unnecessary. Thank you for any information you may share with me.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
We are not doctors, so we need more information from you. And that may not be helpful, we're just folks, but is that 125 pre meal or after meal at one hour or two? That information will help us help you. What is your highest reading and what time, and what is your lowest? Also, what is your fasting blood sugar? Maybe it's me, but 'average' sounds a bit high if it is your 'normal' one.

By the way, as a 'pre-diabetic' My glucose numbers came down very well when I began to eat a 'diabetic diet'. The ADA says a 7.0 is diabetic, so my 6.9 didn't matter one bit. Food for thought?

Keep us posted, please. And, WELCOME!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More info

... is that 125 pre meal or after meal at one hour or two? That information will help us help you. What is your highest reading and what time, and what is your lowest? Also, what is your fasting blood sugar? ...!
Ugh, I see I have not even been completeing my checks correctly :(
8 of my checks were random with no though to what or when I had eaten. All in the afternoon or evening.
Yesterday when I was feeling so anxious/shakey/nervous I had eaten 4 hours before & my reading was 98.
When I got home I ate and checked 30minutes later was up to 125.
My highest reading has been 125. My previous, random testing results all ranged 115-125.
I will get some more strips and begin documenting more info related to the test.
My mother & father are NOT diabetic. My grandfather, half-sister, aunt and uncle and a few other relatives are ?type 1? diabetic (they do NOT have to give injections). In fact only one distant relative had ?type 2? and had to take insulin.

I am 31, 5'7" 175 and can NOT loose weight. I run about 10miles a week (average run is 3 miles but sometimes as far as 5 miles jog).

I take no medication and have no other diagnosed issues.
I am currently waiting for an MRI appointment and going to therapy for an unknown issue in my lower stomach.

I have *potential* kidney, thyroid, ovary, diabetes issues. Nothing diagnosed. I have back pain that was told if I reduce/quit sugar & eat unsweetened cherries that would help if it was kidneys & it does help. In April my bloodwork showed slightly high hyperthyroid (the kind that folks loose weight with...except me). Also showed the prediabetes. My recent blood work I was told NO diabetes and NO thyroid issues. And I'm still undergoing testing & therapy for the stomach ?ovary? issues.
Discussing the sugar crashes with my dr. he said that is not diabetes related and if my blood glucose/sugar? test drops to 50 or below then that could be a sign of a tumor. Which is why he gave me the monitor. So I could see how low my numbers are going.
I've read that 70-100 is a normal healthy range but at 98 I was not feeling well and I'm wondering what would cause that.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I have metabolic syndrome and it has shown numerous symptoms thru the years, but you might want to Google it and see if it fits you. Your #'s don't seem bad to me, but then I'm no doctor. You want to watch if they run over 140 ever (one hr, two hour), and if you are not on any meds, you should not worry about lows. If you lower your carbs, you may feel strange, but that goes with your body learning to run on lower blood sugar.

With the Atkins diet I dropped 50 lbs this winter and it was easy. Once the carbs were gone, I didn't need them or crave them.

Good luck,

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to DF. Most doctors don't give patients very good information about diabetes. I would suggest a website called Blood Sugar 101
It really helped me figure out how far my bgs were away from normal. Normal random bgs are around 70-100, maybe going as high as 120 or so after eating but return to mid 80's fairly quickly. Pre diabetes is usually fasting 100-125 and diabetes is 126 or over. My philosophy is I want to be as close to normal as possible. I aim for 100 or below for fasting and 100-110 after I eat. I have had to adjust my diet and take out a lot of carbs. I son't eat cereal, fruit, rice, pasta, bread or anything made with wheat flour. I eat pretty good though making all my own breads and snacks with almond flour, flaxseed and coconut flour and coconut oil. I never go very low , but then again I rarely spike high either. My averages are around 100 and I am a full blown type 2. What you are probably experiencing is Insulin Resistance. When you eat carbs you spike quite high and then crash. The speed of the crash may make you feel shaky. It is not only sugar you need to watch but all carbs. My biggest problem is flour. So I basically do a gluten free diet not because of celialic but because of high bgs. Start looking at the carb label on everything. Everyone's tolerance for carbs is difference. I keep mine fairly low around 10-15 per meal. I also take a drug called Metformin which helps with the Insulin Resistance. I also took off 30+ pounds on metformin and low carb diet and now weigh close to 120.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hi! I was just diagnosed this month. I found myself in the cafeteria at work shaky before I ate. My mom who is diabetic said I may have let my numbers drop to low. I am still getting use to being diabetic too. This site has really been good for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts