The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have had Type II diabetes for couple of years but was never given much information on it. Just told to stay away from carbs and sugar. Need all the help I can get to understand it.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Hi Chris, welcome to DF. Most of us got very little info upon diagnosis. I was told to try to lose some weight and come back in 3 months. No meds, no meter, nothing. Thank heavens for books and online forums to figure out what is going on. There is lots of good info here and on some other Diabetic blogs -
Blood Sugar 101. She also gives you lots of other links to go to . I'm glad

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome aboard, Chris! There's plenty of information/knowledge/wisdom/experience on this forum . . . just ask! Ask all the questions you want, and it's a good bet that somebody here has lived through it to tell about it! ;)

Thank you for joining us - looking forward to getting better acquainted!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Have had Type II diabetes for couple of years but was never given much information on it. Just told to stay away from carbs and sugar. Need all the help I can get to understand it.
Hi Chris! Welcome. I was also given very little info from my Dr... I was given a handout and referred to a dietician and a nutritionist, both of which I'm *still* waiting to see. In the meantime I found what is much better advice here and lowered my blood glucose readings IN HALF... in barely a month.

Exercise and Diet are (for most type II diabetics) the best way to turn it around. Get at least 1/2 hour of cardio every day if you can, but 3-5 days a week at minimum. Regarding eating, the biggest recommendation I can give anyone is what people call "eat to your meter"... IE: test after you eat to make a determination if what you eat should/should not be included in your diet.

There are certainly generalizations that can be made for most type II's (avoid potatoes, corn, other starchy veggies... cut out breads/grains as much as possible, get your carbs from healthy low-GI/GL veggies and fruits wherever possible)... but some people are exceptions to the rule and EVERYONE is different, so testing is the best way to find out.

In addition to the great info on this site, check out Jenny's 'Blood Sugar 101' site... it's full of valuable information that most diabetics don't get from their Dr. or diabetic educators...

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hello chris626 and :welcome: to the forum! Come on in and get comfortable :couch2: It doesn't surprise me that you didn't get much help. Does your doctor do any blood testing? Do you test at home? What is your normal fasting reading? Are you still seeing the doctor that diagnosed you? Sorry about all the questions, but I just want to get a sense of how you are doing since your diagnosis. beefy gave you a lot of very good information and he is a newly diagnosed diabetic, he sounds like he has had diabetes for a couple of years. I hope we have given him some good information. One thing, there are no stupid questions here, so ask away. I hope that you have the time to vist often and take care.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hi Chris! Welcome. I was also given very little info from my Dr... I was given a handout and referred to a dietician and a nutritionist, both of which I'm *still* waiting to see. In the meantime I found what is much better advice here and lowered my blood glucose readings IN HALF... in barely a month.

Exercise and Diet are (for most type II diabetics) the best way to turn it around. Get at least 1/2 hour of cardio every day if you can, but 3-5 days a week at minimum. Regarding eating, the biggest recommendation I can give anyone is what people call "eat to your meter"... IE: test after you eat to make a determination if what you eat should/should not be included in your diet.

There are certainly generalizations that can be made for most type II's (avoid potatoes, corn, other starchy veggies... cut out breads/grains as much as possible, get your carbs from healthy low-GI/GL veggies and fruits wherever possible)... but some people are exceptions to the rule and EVERYONE is different, so testing is the best way to find out.

In addition to the great info on this site, check out Jenny's 'Blood Sugar 101' site... it's full of valuable information that most diabetics don't get from their Dr. or diabetic educators...
beefy, you sound like a pro! I am impressed! :clap2:

O

·
0 Posts
welcome Chris :) there's lots of different experiences shared on this forum. I'm sure you will find lots of information and support that perhaps you haven't received from docs or other medical staff. I hope you do have a good medical team behind you though as it's important.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Welcome to the forum. We are glad you're here! I hope you come back often. There is a wealth of informatin here and we are always happy to have new contributors.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts