The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have type 2 diabetes and recently diagnosed with high liver enzymes. Doctor increased my metformin to 2000 mg per day.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I have type 2 diabetes and recently diagnosed with high liver enzymes. Doctor increased my metformin to 2000 mg per day.
Hello and welcome Ipaduser! Come on in and get comfortable. Please tell us more about your diabetes. What is your A1C? What kind of diet are you on? Are you on any medications? I am just curious. I hope that you have time to visit often and take care.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
A1c if that is the sugar count it was 8.6. I am taking 2000mg of metformin and glipizide
Your A1C test is a blood test to see what your averages of been for the last 3 months. Do you know what your fasting blood sugar was this morning? That would be the first test of the day. I used to take glipizide, but with being on insulin it was pushing my blood sugar too low if I didn't eat enough. I may still talk to my doctor about the short acting form of glipizide. I liked that medication.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
welcome fellow iPad user! that makes at least three of us now

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
breezeonby said:
Your A1C test is a blood test to see what your averages of been for the last 3 months. Do you know what your fasting blood sugar was this morning? That would be the first test of the day. I used to take glipizide, but with being on insulin it was pushing my blood sugar too low if I didn't eat enough. I may still talk to my doctor about the short acting form of glipizide. I liked that medication.
I don't know what it was

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I don't know what it was
What did your doctor tell you about diabetes? There is a wonderful website that I think you can benefit from. Blood Sugar 101 And of course you can ask anything, we will try and help you with any questions that you may have.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello & welcome, Ipaduser! One of the supplements found useful for regulating liver enzymes is milk thistle. Are you tolerating the increased metformin dosage okay?

Take care and visit us often . . . thank you for joining us!

G

·
Welcome Ipaduser :) glad you've joined us. I used to be on those drugs too... but they stopped working on me and now I'm on insulin. It's all an adventure to say the least. Look forward to hearing your experiences.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Shanny said:
Hello & welcome, Ipaduser! One of the supplements found useful for regulating liver enzymes is milk thistle. Are you tolerating the increased metformin dosage okay?

Take care and visit us often . . . thank you for joining us!
No I am not tolerating it very well. Diarrhea, stomach upset

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Yes, but sugar had gone up and liver enzymes had increased
Right, but as regards the met, you were tolerating it well at a lower dose. Are you taking regular met or the extended release version? ER version usually has fewer side effects.

G

·
If you find a dosage or type of metformin that works for you.... stick to it as it's supposed to be the "drug of choice" before all the other drugs out there for type 2's.
If you try all the versions and dosages and still feel unwell... please don't put up with the side effects is all I can say... it makes your life a misery. I'm a tolerant person and I continued to put up with side effects for years. I was really sick on metformin (all those nasty GI symptoms). I was even worse when they gave me the slow release version (called MR here)... it kept me sick constantly. I often wonder whether it was Metformin that started my stomach problem I now have... as I was on it for 5 years and my stomach has never been the same since! I didn't have GI problems before being on metformin come to think of it. So I'm speaking from experience... don't leave it as long as I did before you demand to try another drug (looking back... I wouldn't go past 12-18 months at the most). Docs try and keep you on it... that's what they did with me.... "don't worry we'll try another dosage" everytime I complained I'm still unwell. Then they introduced other drugs and kept me on metformin too... the side effects didn't go away until they completely took me off metformin. Within a week I noticed a difference after coming off it.
Sorry... I don't want to scare you here... metformin does work for a lot of diabetics... but it doesn't work for everyone. Just be on your guard and speak up if it's not working for you... don't let docs push you around and you just put up with it. I wished I had been a lot firmer and not so trusting now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts