The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a week until I get into a nutritionist so I thought I would seek out some answers.

My oldest child is anaphylactic to peanuts and allergic to all other nuts except almonds. And it is really hard to find almonds that don't have a cross contamination warning. I was looking at recipes and it seems that some nuts are uses often in breads & pastry. Is there another low carb alternative? Or am I sort of out of luck?

Splenda & Truvia (I think that is what it is called) are closer to real sugar than the "pink stuff" correct? How do they compare in taste? I hate the taste of artificial sweeteners and would rather go without than consume foods made with them. I would hate to buy a bag of Splenda and discover it tastes horrible.

I think those were my only questions for now. Give me an hour and I'm sure I with have several more :)

Heather

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
The only substitute sweetner that is not a chemical is Stevia. All the others are made from some type of chemicals. I try to avoid most as much as possible but when baking I do like to use erythitol and stevia. Truvia is made with that combo. I don't think any taste just like sugar. I usually use almond meal or coconut flour for most of my baking. Since you son is allergic to most nuts you may want to use the coconut flour or flaxseed. There are some lower carb breads and crackers on the market. You just need to test each of them to see how they affect you. I like the WASA or GG Brancrisp crackers. I also use Flat OUt Tortillas with very little bg spike.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Dana Carpender, who has written several low carb cookbooks, said you can substitute ground sunflower seeds for almond flour in recipes. I have tried it with 2 recipes so far, and it worked fine. I measure the seeds before putting them through the coffee grinder. Don't know whether you are supposed to measure after, but before works for me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.