The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys!

I was just watching a program on TV here in Aus, and they had an in-depth segment on New Zealand pigs who have the purest blood in the world, and who may provide a cure for Type 1 Diabetes.

I was so happy to hear how close they are to this cure - in Moscow, Russia, they trialled it in about 4 people and one lady was able to go without insulin for a few months, others were able to reduce their insulin intake by about 40% or so.

Here's the link to just one article : Pig cell transplants help people with diabetes - health - 12 April 2008 - New Scientist

Pretty exciting stuff! Hopefully this one won't finish in a dead end.

Stripes

Ed: Here is also the link for the Sunday Night TV program, the one that I saw the story on: http://au.tv.yahoo.com/sunday-night/video/ . stripes.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hey stripes! Good to see you again!

I finally got to watch the video & it's pretty amazing. If others here are confused when you get to the video website, just choose the video titled Guinea Pigs. It's really worth a few minutes to watch it, and it looks like things might be moving along again with this research. Yea for the Auckland Island piggies!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Shanny!

Yes I saw this when I was having a really bad day and it made my day a lot better!

The NZ Politician is a bit over the top in the video hahaha. Entertaining, though!

stripes

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And those teeth...

But his Mayor's Contingency Plan is a good idea - keeping those pigs disease free must be hard to maintain and also to justify to some people too!!

·
Registered
148 Posts
What an interesting story! Maybe there will be a cure in this lifetime, and hopefully for insulin resistance too!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts