The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New here and to diabetes, was diagnosed last week on the 6th. I'm 44 years old and live in Ontario, Canada. Honestly don't know very much about diabetes, so figured if i hung out here for a bit, i could learn a few things.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello, I looked in your profile and found your name is Greg. I had hoped to find whether you are type 1 or type 2. If you tell us more about yourself we will be able to answer your questions more easily. Are you taking any medications or using insulin yet. I suppose you know that insulin was discovered in 1921, in Ontario. Many of us might not be alive today if it was not for that discovery.

Let us know about your diabetes care, and ask all the questions you want.

Richard

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Welcome to the forum and the big D

Your diabetic, that means your pancreas no longer controls your Blood Sugar Levels BGL, So…You need to control your BGL.

It can be done
your TOOLS

Pills and or insulin
exercise
Food

Read the Nutrition labels on food packages.
you are interested in the TOTAL Carbohydrates.
get to know the Glycemic index of foods.
http://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm

Food
All foods with carbohydrates (carbs) Raises BGL
especially fast acting carbs are
almost anything white. White bread, potato, rice, sugar (eating a bowl of mashed potato is worse than eating bowl of sugar as far as BGL goes.)

Protein, fiber and fat
slows down the rise of BGL.

meds (pills and insulin)
lower BSL

exercise
lowers BSL

Basically those are the tools you have, use them well and you will have a long Happy life.

To learn HOW THIS ALL AFFECTS YOU… test you BGL before you eat, test 1 hour after you eat, this gives you your BGL spike for the food. Test 2 hours after you eat your BGL should be going down. test before exercise test after exercise.
Everybody is affected differently by carbs and by different foods. So you need to test to find out how You react to different foods

When you test use the side of your finger tip, much less pain

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Richard,

Thanks for the quick response. Guess i could have left a little more info about myself (I just found a more recent picture too).

I was diagnosed Type 2 diabetes on Oct 6. I had surgery in May to fuze my ankle, the result of an old injury catching up with me. My recovery has been complicated by a second surgery and an infection, and i have just started walking again without crutches. As a result of alot of immobility, i have put on about twenty pounds. I have been witnessing alot of strange feelings and symptoms lately, but it wasn't until my vision started going that i was pointed in the direction of diabetes. Anyway, in just over a week of being diagnosed, i feel much better. With alot of help from my wife, my diet is slowly getting sorted, but we're still not totally sure as to what i should and should not be eating. My doctor also prescribed Metformin 500mg x 3/day and Atorvastatin 20mg x 1/day. I also have high blood pressure and high cholesterol and was told that both often go hand-in-hand with type 2 Diabetes.

This has been a big wake-up call for me. After a few years of neglect, a lack of diet and exercise, and now diabetes, it's definitely time to get healthy again.

Greg

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all that information 'diabetes86'. The bowl of mashed potato... wow, who would have thought it would be worse for your BGL. Guess i have alot to learn.

Greg

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Greg, your attitude is great. That is half the battle. i have the feeling you are going to work very hard and have good control in a few weeks. I hope you have a good doctor who really knows diabetes well. It seems that you are on your feet again. Maybe you can eat low carb meals and begin to get exercise. I limited myself to 130 carbs per day to lose weight a few years ago. Don't hurt the ankle! Is the infection gone now?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Welcome! Thanks for all the info - nosey bunch aren't we? But this will make suggestions for questions a lot easier. There are a lot of Type 2 people here with a lot of the same problems.

Have you been testing yet? Most of us believe in our meters and eat to what our meters tell us. Others have problems with carbohydrates and have to limit the amount we eat. Many people have problems with bread, potatoes, rice, and highly processed foods. I have found I am eating more leafy green vegetables and after many (about 7 years) have been able to add back some foods.

Balancing the nutritional value of the foods I do eat has been the largest problem, but by working with a dietitian/nutritionist has really helped.

Keep a positive attitude.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, the infection is gone now (i hope), though i still have a week of antibiotics to take. This ankle fuzion has been a big ordeal for me, and now topped off with diabetes, but it had to be done. What is... is! Deal with it and carry on.

I'll look into that low carb diet and i've just purchased a mini gym as i can only really do upper body exercise at the moment.

Good talking with you Richard. I'll have to hit the hay now. I'll check in tomorrow to learn some more. Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Robert,

Yes, i forgot to mention my BGL. I've only been testing for eight days now and though the start was mid to high teens, today was 9.2 this morning and 13.4 this evening.

Ok, off to bed, thanks alot guys. Really appreciate it.

Greg

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Thanks for all that information 'diabetes86'. The bowl of mashed potato... wow, who would have thought it would be worse for your BGL. Guess i have alot to learn.

Greg
Welcome to the forum! Glad you found us. Yes, controlling your carb intake is going to be essential in managing your blood sugar. It is not only "sweets" that get you. Its the carbs. Avoid "white foods" they are the highest in carbs....pasta, rice, white potatos, white, bread, etc. Substitute whole grains instead, brown rice, sweet potatoes instead of white. White poatoes are death on a plate for most of us....if you eat a bowl of mashed potatoes or french fries, you might as well be eating a bowl of cake frosting...its going to do the same thing to your blood sugar. I recommend that you start counting your carbs. A really good resource for looking up carb content of many foods is CalorieKing.com. They even have alot of prepared foods and restaurant foods...including fast food. A good starting point is no more than 45gm carb for breakfast and no more than 60 for lunch and dinner. Many diabetics cant even really tolerate that much, but some can so its a good starting point. I hope you have a meter to check your blood sugar...if not...get one. The best way to know how many carbs you can safely eat is to test your blood sugar before meals, then at least 2 hours after...by 2 hours you should at least be back down to where you were before you ate. If you are not...then you ate more carbs than your body can deal with...cut back and try again. Moderate exercise will also lower your insulin resistance so that your body can use your insulin more effectively, thus lowering your blood sugar. I hope you can stick around and please feel free to ask all you need...we are all here to help each other out. There is a lot of great info here on the boards so poke around and look :)

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Welcome to the forum Greg.

i hope that you visit us regularly. This is by far, THE best place for us diabetics to talk freely and openly about whats going on with us.

Please feel free to ask any questions that you might have, as i feel that there are no "dumb" questions

You can do this, you can.

-Eric

·
Registered
204 Posts
...........Yes, i forgot to mention my BGL. I've only been testing for eight days now and though the start was mid to high teens, today was 9.2 this morning and 13.4 this evening.
Hi Greg,

I'm a non-insulin-dependent Type 2 myself who was diagnosed ten years ago and I'm doing just fine.

The way to go is to cut back on any starchy carbohydrate that you eat - i.e. cereals, bread, potatoes, pizza, pasta, rice etc. That usually leads to a big improvement in blood glucose levels - and quickly too!

In my opinion, diet is a very powerful ally indeed in dealing with a Type 2 condition!

Good luck and best wishes - John

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hi Richard,

Thanks for the quick response. Guess i could have left a little more info about myself (I just found a more recent picture too).

I was diagnosed Type 2 diabetes on Oct 6. I had surgery in May to fuze my ankle, the result of an old injury catching up with me. My recovery has been complicated by a second surgery and an infection, and i have just started walking again without crutches. As a result of alot of immobility, i have put on about twenty pounds. I have been witnessing alot of strange feelings and symptoms lately, but it wasn't until my vision started going that i was pointed in the direction of diabetes. Anyway, in just over a week of being diagnosed, i feel much better. With alot of help from my wife, my diet is slowly getting sorted, but we're still not totally sure as to what i should and should not be eating. My doctor also prescribed Metformin 500mg x 3/day and Atorvastatin 20mg x 1/day. I also have high blood pressure and high cholesterol and was told that both often go hand-in-hand with type 2 Diabetes.

This has been a big wake-up call for me. After a few years of neglect, a lack of diet and exercise, and now diabetes, it's definitely time to get healthy again.

Greg
Welcome to the forum Greg! If you need help and support, you have come to the right place. We have so many helpful members who have much success in managing their diabetes. I was diagnosed at age 40 and it is a life changing experience. I hope you will feel comfortable here and are able to visit often. Take care.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Breeze, sounds like there's a great group of people here with a wealth of information. Hopefully one day i'll be able to pay it forward and help someone as all of you have helped me. Thanks again, everyone.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I would seriously question that for people with diabetes. Water is always good whereas milk has carbohydrates. Several blog writers have written about water helping them manage diabetes very effectively.

I generally ignore these types of statements. While I do drink some milk, it is not that often nor more than 6 oz. Water helps flush blood glucose and is generally helpful in reducing food cravings if consumed before meals. I try to drink 6 to 9 - 8oz glasses of water per day. I normally drink one glass before meals and another with and finish it after.

I do use filters for the water rather than right out of the tap.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Bob and Eric. I thought it sounded a bit odd. Lesson learnt... stick to this site for accurate info regarding diabetes.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I read today that Diabetics should not consume water from 1/2 hr. before to 1/2 hr. after meals. If you need to drink during meals, drink milk.

Eating Rules For Diabetes

Is there any truth to this?
Hmm...I dont know about this one. Water is always good for you and milk has quite a bit of carbs in it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts