The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just recently been diagnosed and started taking meds for insulin resistance, which is glumetza. Can anyone tell me what they think about this medicine.

G

·
welcome Tracie :) I've never heard of glumetza... not sure if this is a brand name for metformin? I'm sure someone else here will know what it is though. I'm sure you'll find this a great place for support and info. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Glumetza is one of the oldest, safest and still effective meds on the market for insulin resistance. Glumetza is an extended release version of metformin, and in my opinion an excellent choice by your doctor.

Tell us more about yourself, Tracie . . . have you had an A1c? Do you have a glucometer so you can test your blood at home?

We're glad to have you with us . . . ask all the questions you want. We're here to help.

Thank you for joining us! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My doctor hasn't suggested any testing meters or anything like that. I was told to take meds 2000mgs a day (2 pills) and balance carbs with protein. It had been almost two months and I haven't quite figured that out yet. I have been cutting back on carbs which seems to be very hard to do.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
My doctor hasn't suggested any testing meters or anything like that. I was told to take meds 2000mgs a day (2 pills) and balance carbs with protein. It had been almost two months and I haven't quite figured that out yet. I have been cutting back on carbs which seems to be very hard to do.
Hello Tracie and welcome to the forum. I can't believe that you don't have a meter, try and get one asap. Walmart sells their brand for $9 and test strips are $36 for 100 strips. (in Ohio). Your meter will give you so much information, you have to get one, I have to say shame on your doctor for not telling to test. I hope you will stick around, there is a lot to learn from just reading on here. Visit often and take care.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
It IS hard to do, and that's why you need a meter. If you test after you eat, you have a real number to tell you how much effect your meal had on your blood sugar, and if it's too big an effect, then you know that particular food is better left uneaten, to put it gently. ;) If your doc isn't forthcoming with a meter, then go to Walmart, Target, Kroger or some other discount chain & get their house brand. Check the price of strips & if you can get strips for the meter at 50¢ each or less - take it. None of us can control our blood sugar if we don't even know what level it is, and the only way for us to know is to test it ourselves several times a day.

You do need to build your meals around protein. You need to include fats along with the protein. You need to avoid foods like potatoes, bread, rice, pasta, sweets. Get your carbs from high-fiber vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, spinach & other leafy greens.

It's a lot to comprehend at the beginning, so ask all the questions you want - we're here to help, since many of us have discovered to our chagrin, that there isn't much good guidance coming from the medical community. :(

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
A bg meter is the lifeline for a diabetic. Without one you have no idea if you diet changes are making a difference. I feel any diabetic, especially one on meds should always test. If your insurance doesn't cover it, buy your own meter. I buy mine on Amazon. I am also on Metformin- 2550 mg . I usually don't have any side effects. Once in awhile if I overeat I will get a queasy stomach. Diet is more about counting carbs at meals and firguring out your carb threshold. We may be all different in how much we can handle at one sitting. I have to limit myself to 10-20 carbs, even less in the morning because my bgs are higher then. Go out and buy a carb counting book and use it to plan your meals. Most of us have had to give up normal wheat bread, pasta, rice, cereal, crackers, and anything made from wheat flour and of course sugar, honey, etc.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Welcome Tracie! Glad to have you with us!

- Jeremy

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Welcome to the forum! We are glad you're here. Make yourself welcome. I agree with the other posters, a meter is a must. Please do yourself a favor and get one soon. You need to know what your body is doing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts