The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was diagnosed with adult onset type 1 almost 2 years ago. I am 55 and I have the antibody. I 2 months using the pump and have the CGM but don't have it up and running yet. My name is Nancy and I am looking forward to learning from this site.

G

·
welcome Nancy :) that's the type of diabetes that usually doesn't get much mention. People seem to think there is only 2 types when in fact there is 4 types (1, 1.5, 2, gestational). I grinched when I heard last night on a weight loss show that someone had "weight related diabetes"... what the? Don't you hate it when media portrays it wrong. Glad you've joined and I'm sure you will find lots of support and info here. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to the forum. If you tested positive for Antibodies then you are probably what we call type 1.5 or LADA. I think everything you hear in the media portrays diabetics as obsese couch potoatoes who need to learn to eat right. What they don't realise is that some of the foods we have to limit are very healthy foods that normal people can eat with no problems. So telling everyone to switch to whole grains, fruit and low fat doesn't necessarily help reduce diabetes.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Welcome Nancy! You have all the right equipment for having good control with your diabetes. I hope things work out well for you. I have been type 1 for 65 years and am doing very well. Pumping and a CGMS are very valuable tools, but they require a lot of learning and much attention. Let us know of you need help.

Richard

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hi Nancy - I was also diagnosed T1 when I was just about to turn 53. What a knock upside the head! I find I'm well controlled with MDI and haven't really considered a pump. Someday maybe, but I like the simplicity of my regimen for now.

Glad you've joined us!

Jen

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Hi, Nancy, I am 53 and my LADA is progressing somewhat more slowly ... dx'd in DKA 2 yrs ago, after quite a bit of weight gain. I eat low-carb, vegetarian (lots of eggs and cheese and butter and cream now), started basal about a year ago, and rapid in January. I run for exercise, not sure if it helps my BG very much, but I like it!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I was diagnosed with adult onset type 1 almost 2 years ago. I am 55 and I have the antibody. I 2 months using the pump and have the CGM but don't have it up and running yet. My name is Nancy and I am looking forward to learning from this site.
Looking forward to getting acquainted, Nancy . . . thank you for joining us! :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts