The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:( found out last week.

Done more reading over this last week than I ever did in my whole life. Started METFORMIN and working on my diet, learning about the impact of simple vs complex carbs. Fasting at around 130's to 150's, hope to get it even lower.

Dang it. I was just about to retire and go fishing. Now it looks like I'm going to have another "hobby" to occupy my time with. :rolleyes:

Sorry, gallows humor...

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
You'll have plenty of time to go fishin', Ralph! :D

Welcome aboard. I'm sorry you've joined the "club", but I'm glad you found our forum!

Looks like you're in the early stages & with a few tweaks here & there, you'll have this thing under control in no time. Do you have a meter yet? It's your best tool ever!

I was diagnosed last May with about the same levels you're seeing, and was put on metformin also. It seems to do the trick for me so far . . . I'm finally, in the last few weeks, getting consistent numbers like I've striven for most of this year. I guess it can take awhile when diet & exercise are the tools we're working with. I've adjusted my menus too . . . had started out keeping carbs under 100g per day, but found I wasn't getting anywhere - even after doc increased my metformin - so I've tinkered & tweaked until I've found the level that works - and it's about 50g per day. I use my meter to discover which foods send me too high, and then I avoid or severely limit those foods. I'd give you a list, except that it's different for everybody, so you & your meter just gotta get to work on your own foods!

I'm enjoying it - I really don't miss all my old carbs much now. I have a sneakin' suspicion that when we eat a lot of fast-acting carbs, they just stimulate craving for MORE fast-acting carbs! Once I got weaned, I'm not tempted like I was in the beginning.

I sure thank you for joining us, and I hope you'll come often & ask any questions - make any comments - rant & rave if you need to . . . just make yourself at home here.

take care,

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello Ralph, welcome aboard. It is good to have a sense of humor about our diabetes. A healthy attitude can eliminate much of the stress that so many diabetics have. Stress can elevate our blood sugar levels. I hope you enjoy our support group, welcome aboard!

Richard

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both Shanny and Richard157, for your kind words of encouragement and warm welcome. Glad to be able to find such a good knowledge resource base and support forum for this horrible diagnosis.

As I've been reading and quickly finding out, there are many, many things that one can do before sliding down that slippery slope (diabetic end point complications of stroke, blindness, heart attack, or dialysis) and I'm not going down without a fight.

So, in that regard, you'll just found a new lifetime member, and I thank you for being here in my greatest hour of need. Kudos.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
You won't have to slide down that slope, Ralph . . . you can take control and keep control. It's sounds like you're more than ready to get busy, so I have no doubts that you'll follow through!

Richard is the poster boy for the no-complications club, because he's been diabetic for 64 years - still no complilcations! A few ups & downs over the years, but he minimized any damage and continued to keep good control.

So eat to your meter. If you find certain foods spiking you too high, just eliminate those from your diet. You can eat really high on the hog and still not jeopardize your blood sugars.

Here is a post I made just this week, describing some of how I manage my own diet, which is quite low carb. You may not need to go as low carb as I have - you'll just have to figure it out with your own meter. That is done by testing first, eating the food in question, testing again in one hour, and testing again in two hours. This will show you how much that food spiked you (the 1-hour test), and how long it spiked you (the 2-hour test). By two hours, you should be dropping back down toward the beginning number. After testing a food a coupla/three times, I make a decision whether I can eat it or not, and go on to some other. It sounds like a lot of testing, and it is at first, but you gradually get to know what works & what doesn't so you don't have to keep testing everything you eat. If and when you introduce a new carb, then run the testing routine on it until you're sure. The fats and proteins you're eating prob'ly don't need to be run through this drill, because they can't cause a spike unless some sugary seasoning has been added.

Keep a food journal as well as a BG log. I use a site called diabetic journal which allows me to log many other medical details too, and to print up reports to show my doctor.

I'm getting too long-winded here, so I'm gonna take a breath & let you talk for awhile! heheh! :D

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Glad to mett you....but sorry we had to *hug* You are getting a lot of good advice here, not much more I can add except some moral support :)

Sometimes it just helps to know there are others that have gone through the same thing and know they are there to listen. Feel free to ask, rant, rave and celebrate the victories with us :)

Cheers
Pam

1 - 6 of 6 Posts