The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
My son is a Type 1 diabetic since he was 3 years old. He's now 15. His sugar is controllable at times but uncontrollable most of the times. It's very frustrating!!!

·
Registered
930 Posts
Hi all,
My son is a Type 1 diabetic since he was 3 years old. He's now 15. His sugar is controllable at times but uncontrollable most of the times. It's very frustrating!!!
i am a type 2 but uncontrollable blood sugars (not just high blood sugar) usually indicate a leaky gut and/or chronic systemic infection and often is caused by periodontal disease. so his blood should be checked for pathogens and his teeth/gums should be checked for infection.

or is it just "uncontrollable" after he consumes a bag of chips and a soda pop? hey, i was a kid once too! just joking of course, i never would do that would i?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hi all,
Hello and welcome to the forum! There is a wealth of information on here. Read what interests you and if you can't find what you are looking for, just do a search. I hope you have time to visit often and take care.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello, and welcome! I have seen that same kind of message from many parents of diabetic children. Your son is still growing, and blood sugar is frequently unstable during growth spurts. Does your son take his diabetes seriously? Many teen agers do not watch what they eat so well, they skip shots, do not count carbs carefully, eat too much junk food, etc. These things will certainly cause high blood sugar. Taking too much insulin before meals can also cause bad hypos, is he having any hypos? What is his most recent A1c?

I'm sure he would not want to hear the message I have posted here. Maybe he is not guilty of these things, but most teens are, and that is just normal behavior for that age. He should take his diabetes more seriously, nut doing the best you can to advise him is all that can be expected of you in the meantime.

I have been type 1 for 65 years and I am very healthy. I use very tight control, and that has worked very well for me.

Ask all the questions you want, we want to help!

Richard

G

·
welcome Rochellecris :) as others here have mentioned it's probably more to do with the age your son is as to why BGLs not controlled. Although on saying that adults find it hard to keep BGLs controlled too... so it's like a neverending battle really. The best thing is to just stay positive and offer encouragement I would think. Diabetics pretty much don't like being 'told' what to do all the time as the disease is controlling enough as it is.... and I'd imagine at 15 your son definitely wouldn't want to be 'told' anything. Hopefully he is taking it seriously enough though. Keep us posted on how things go.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts